on 24 August 2008
OK, OK, I mean "graphic novel"!

This is the print version of Phil and Kaja Foglio's lovely web comic of the same name (sorry for any sales you lose over that revelation, Mr. Bezos!).

The style combines an implausible but gripping mixture of Japanese (I'm not an expert, is it Manga or Anime or what?!) and classic Western idioms, with many nice little touches, in-jokes, and well-researched genre-blending (think Victorian technology, B-movie staples, coming-of-age sci-fi... who'd a thunk it would work?).

As for the story, it's... fairly obvious, but the plot moves along so quickly and the irony is laid on so thick that you hardly mind.
on 8 April 2010
Adventure, romance, mad science - the jacket says it all! This is a great story, here in value-for-money omnibus edition. The first book is in wonderful line-and-ink, strongly reminiscent of Ian Gibson's classic 'Halo Jones'; after that, the story gains a colorist, who at first I have to say is a bit wobbly but who gradually gets the hang of it. Hey, this edition is B&W anyway!
Agatha Clay is not for the very youngest readers, I think, because things start to get a bit scary towards the end of Volume 3 - heck, some of the scenes gave me the willies for several days. But man, what a hook for the rest of the series! I find myself to be a confirmed addict.
on 10 January 2012
Great read, one of the best webcomics out there brought on paper and though it is white and black this takes nothing away from the story which remains one of the most immersive and witty i have so far read. So definitely a good purchase.