Gigaset C300A Twin DECT Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine
Style Name: TwinChange
Price:£41.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 January 2012
I've had about 5 DECT sets since the very old Rabbit cordless many years back. All have had some deficiency or are finnicky, poor battery life etc but these Siemens sets are pretty much perfect and correct all the problems the others had.

The handsets feel nice and the buttons are positive with a quick response. The switchable keyclick the first I'd be happy to leave on. I never use poly ringtones on a cell but I would use some of the 18 on this (there are also 3 non poly rings).

Colour display is pleasant and not over utilised, animated or garish. Phonebook/caller ID can show 13 dialled digits on screen without wrapping to the next line with a max number length of 32 characters. The name uses proportional font, maximum 16 characters. Phonebook has 250 entries and part or all can be pushed to other handsets. There are 9 press-and-hold one-touch memories which point to phonebook entries.

CallerID list can be set to record all incoming calls or only those missed. Dedicated button to access the missed call list, which flashes if a missed call has arrived while you've been out. Can also set to utilise CallerID to not ring for withheld numbers, and during certain hours not ring unless one of your VIP entries calls.

Battery life on supplied AAA 800mAh cells is impressive, they suggest you charge 8.5hrs to start then allow to fully discharge before charging the first time (for accurate battery level reporting). So far it's been 7 days and we've used the handset for a couple of hours in that time and it's only just gone to 25%!

Built in remote control answering machine with variable answer time depending on message left or not, and speech prompts, clarity of recordings is good. Usual cellphone method of holding "1" to get to it.

Extras? Alarm clock with snooze, intercom/transfer between phones, auto-pickup when you lift off the charger. Listen-in facility and calls can be recorded to the answering machine. Two way hands free. Two way SMS. Eco mode for low power consumption (but hides signal strength meter). Displays "Line in use" when another handset is using the phone line. Rename handset for location (i.e. Kitchen, Bedroom etc).

What's different? Like a cellphone, a short press on the green pickup button brings up the last number redials. To get dial tone you have to hold the button in, or you select from phonebook (or dial the number) then press green to dial.

Missing? The outgoing redial memories do not store date/time. The incoming missed calls store date/time. Maybe over picky of me. Probably never use it.

Summary? Extremely intuitive. Can't fault it. Everything is there and more. Clarity and volume in both directions is excellent.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 September 2011
This set is a quality piece of equipment from Siemens. I bought it primarily as my wife is slightly deaf in one ear so i needed units that were resonably loud on call and earpiece. The gigaset covers all the bases, easy to set up, good instructions and nice clear sound from the speakers. Only two small negatives, the phone melodies are naff, and the shiny black plastic rear cover scratches easily, but the overall build still makes it a 5*
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Excellent Cordless Phone set for home use which are relatively simple to set-up. Good level of volume on ringer tones and during calls. Speech is clear to hear using the handsets and the wireless range is excellent given that the handsets work throughout the property. Handsets are light and comfortable to hold for long calls etc. Easy to see that a message has been recorded on the Answer Machine which is easily accessed from all handsets as well as the base unit. Compared to my aging Binatone cordless set, this set is a definate step up in quality.
on 26 October 2011
Thought that these three DECT handsets were very good value, as the base included answer phone and they are made by Siemens.
Easy to set up and use. sound quality better than our old twin set-up (which as GAP compatible we added to the system in spare rooms).

Very pleased with these, definitely would recommend.
on 3 October 2011
I bought this Gigaset to replace one I've had since 1996. I loved that phone but the buttons finally stopped working. My new C300A is a vast improvement, simple to operate, good menus, incredible battery life (can work for nearly a week off the charger!), and I like the ringtones (modern, cool, some very cheesy but fun). The answer machine is simple too, controlled by logical buttons on the base station and also through the handset. No regrets, quality at a great price.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 December 2011
Solid, no nonsense styling, the two tone black and silver and rectangular design have an almost retro appeal. I like the simplicity and they're comfortable to hold. The build quality seems to be up to the usual Seimens (Gigaset) quality. The most important feature for me is the hands free option, it works well on my desk as long as I have it on the highest volume setting and the cradle sits fairly close to me. You can also use the speaker phone when holding the handset and switch easily between speaker phone and using the phone held to your ear. It does everything I want it to do, has all the usual features, quick dial, address book, intercom etc. It has a big selection of ring tones and for frequent callers you can assign a unique ring tone so you automatically know who is calling. You can also let the phone go through to the answering machine and screen the message, picking up if you want to take the call. Retrieval of messages is very easy using the handset. When in the cradle you can customise the display information, my phone displays date and time which is very handy. I've also noticed that the annoying echo I used to get on long distance calls has stopped! The display screen is quite small but big enough to make out the appropriate icons and the numbers are big enough even when I haven't got my glasses on. As you would expect it there are various icons indicating missed calls or messages left and there also is a key on the bottom left hand corner which flashes when you have a missed call or message. All in all a good quality piece of kit at a very fair price, which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I've had mine successfully in use for nearly three months now.
on 30 December 2011
I bought this product from Amazon just before Christmas and found it to be a significant improvement on the Philips triple set it replaced. I have been using it for around a week and have been very impressed so far. I particularly like the crystal clear sound quality on the earpieces as well as on the loudspeaker. It means that I am no longer losing answer phone messages in an inaudible crackle.

The handsets feel nice in the hand and the buttons depress with just the right amount of positive resistance. The screen is clear and easy to read and has a number of different background options. I have enjoyed the intuitive menus and the ease with which I was able to enter 100 or so names and phone numbers. I transferred these to the other two handsets with just a few clicks. I was even able to designate special colours and ringtones to family and friends, though sadly these settings cannot be transferred to the other handsets and have to be entered manually on each unit. This is one of the few negative points I can find. One feature I have not yet used, but which could be very useful, is the ability to give all withheld numbers a silent ring. It would be a very effective way of cutting out all those sales calls which are such a pain.

Points for improvement are few, the biggest being the one I already mentioned concerning the transfer of ringtones between handsets. I would also like to see longer power cords on the base stations and perhaps a better selection of ringtones. However, these are all small points. There really is not much to complain about especially when you consider the value. I paid £59.99 for these which I think is excellent value for money. This is a quality product at an excellent price.

Update:
I had been using this set for around 6 months when the base station suddenly died. One day it was working perfectly, the next it was dead. It was as if no electricity was reaching it at all. It could have been something simple like a blown fuse in the plug, but there was no way I could check this as the screws needed a special miniature hex key to undo. As the set was under warranty, I contacted Amazon and they sent out a replacement which works perfectly. Amazon's customer service is excellent. I am still pleased with these phones, though I am now a little concerned about their durability. I guess I could have just been unlucky. I have reduced the rating from 5 stars to 4 after this failure.
on 18 December 2011
Bought to replace a faulty Panasonic model which went kaput after only a few months.

Very good video link on product page from Siemens which shows how the product has been manufactured and tested.

This plus the excellent deal for a three handset model only a few pounds more than the 2 handset model swung it for me.

The build quality is excellent as expected from a German product. The buttons give a reassuring firm response and the display is clear

Very easy to set up and handsets attached to base in seconds. The address book only needs setting up on one handset and it then transfers to the other at a touch of a button.

You can set different ring tones for each handset and also different tones for your VIP contacts.

Answer machine gives upto 30 seconds before it kicks in and a flashing buttton on the handset tells you a message is waiting.

Overall best phone ive had and would recomend.
on 14 October 2011
Having worn out many cordless phones and been frustrated that each replacement is far worse than the last, I have finally found one that actually builds on the successes of its predecessors. Easy to set up (do read the instructions, but they're written by real humans rather than techno-geeks, and well indexed) and lots of really useful features even for someone who hates gimmicks and gadgets. Like the fact that you can switch the ringer off, increase earpiece volume, set it for alarm calls, and transfer the address book between handsets with just a few clicks. Good audio, although the numerous announcements on the answerphone are a bit irritating. But still, the best phone I've had by far. This has made me Very Happy. Bought this one for home but may now have to buy one for my office as well, even though the current phone hasn't died yet.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just a couple of words to get the most out of the phone you MUST read the manual. For the money it is the best phone i have ever had awesome call quality and very good battery life.

The only annoying thing is a few of the ring tones can get on your nerves but for some people they will be ok.