TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 December 2012
I bought this fabulous jigsaw to help diffuse one or two of the tensions caused by several different generations being forced to spend time together over the festive period. I simply left the box open and waited for the first relative to come along and 'interfere'. Honestly, you could have set your watch by THAT one.

It worked brilliantly and was the perfect 'team game'. The older folk tackled it with gusto, reminiscing about the Thatcher years, the effects of inflation on the price of confectionery and the dubious comedy virtues of Jimmy Tarbuck. The under-10s were able to make a huge contribution too, as the pieces are large enough for them to handle comfortably and the individual components of the puzzle are easily recognisable. It is bright and colourful, the 80s were a loud decade!

As for us thirty... OK, forty-somethings, we were on familiar territory. There isn't one sweet on this puzzle that I didn't munch my way through during the 1980s and I've got the fillings and the dress collection from Evans to prove it.

This is an extremely well made and brilliantly evocative puzzle. You can almost smell the chocolate as you work your way through it though, so if you're on a diet it might represent a rather unique form of torture. It is perfect for any multi-generational get-together, particularly one that could, at least on paper, rapidly degenerate into something approximating World War Three.
on 23 December 2013
.......as the wind howls and the rain batters the windows!

Fantastic jigsaw from GIBSONs, and for those of us who like doing the 'word bits' in jigsaws don't be fooled into thinking that this is easy!
With all the 'special offer' & price flashes, this puzzle does pose a challenge at times!

High quality pieces - 1000 of them - make up into a trip down memory lane with the various wrappers from the 80s. 'Marathon' and 'Opal Fruits' are here (and not the silly new names (IMO) these sweeties carry these days).

The assembled rectangular jigsaw measures 68.5 cm x 49 cm which fits comfortably onto aPortaPuzzle.

Loved it so much I have now ordered this &this.
Sadly, they are going to arrive after Christmas, which is probably just as well as I might get something else done like cooking the Christmas dinner!

Merry Christmas, everyone - take care :-)
on 1 July 2014
Great fun! It didn't take me as long to complete as I was expecting, but it provided hours of fun. All pieces are different and easy to connect. Pieces are thicker than I was used to, but this is a welcome difference. Colours match the box. It does NOT come with glue, as some puzzles do.

Highly recommend, especially for those who know all these chocolates.
on 17 July 2012
Being a young kid in the eighties, it was nice to look back at the chocolate bars and sweets I had then (I manage to refer to 'Snickers' correctly now but still can't quite leave the 'Opal Fruits' name behind!)

This was a really enjoyable puzzle to do, me and my husband have done this twice now! Each time we take different sweets to complete and it's nice that he enjoys this puzzle as much as me (I'm the jigsaw puzzler of the family).

I think this would be great for any puzzler to enjoy, but also would make an unusual and great gift for someone who may not otherwise do jigsaws. It's not too hard for the beginner, but certainly isn't overly easy for a regular 'jigger'!

The puzzle was good quality (although the one I got was admittedly full of cardboard dust - I literally had to clean the pieces and then vacuum the completed puzzle! - but I'm sure this was a one off from Gibsons). The pieces have a slightly waxy feel to them, but are durable and fit together well.

An unusual jigsaw, part of the 'Memories' range at Gibsons - so if this one doesn't quite appeal, take a look at the other decades available and relive your youth. Happy puzzling!
on 3 September 2015
This jigsaw is a bit of a challenge to complete - you know what the sweet wrapper should look like but try picking out the right bits of puzzle when so many share the same colours! - but it is well worth it as it makes a really nice picture in the end. We bought this for our elderly mum and it brought back memories of our favourite and not so favourite sweets.
on 17 November 2014
This is the first 1000 piece puzzle I have ever attempted and I loved it. I finished it in two days. I'd say it's a very easy puzzle because there are no vast areas of one colour. All the pieces are pretty easy to recognise and place vaguely where they go. I am going to frame and hang it in our living room. Really really enjoyed this. :-D
on 22 January 2015
Fun and nostalgic, did not have some of the sweets I remembered and was hoping to see and had some which I couldn't recall at all. Enjoyed doing this and have passed on to others of the same generation
on 28 December 2015
Great puzzle and good to remember old 80's brands. Thought it would keep the Mrs quiet for a bit but it was completed in about 7 hours! Knocked 1 star off due to 16 pieces being broken :(
review image
on 29 June 2016
Great item. I purchased this for my dad who was born early 70s. He just had to look at the front and he got nostalgic! His mother (my grandmother) turned it over and got a small preview of the 50s and 60s sweet memories jigsaw which made her equally as nostalgic. It provoked a lot of conversation. I may as well have just bought an empty box! Has LOTS and lots of 80s sweets to marvel at and it's about a 6/10 difficulty level. A very good gift for a brilliant price and I am very happy with it. It is also equally as good a gift to buy yourself.
on 14 March 2016
Got this as a present for my (30-year-old) brother who usually plays computer games and is too cool for jigsaws, but always does one at our parents' house over Christmas. Just as he thought he was going to have to crack open a county cottage scene, he opened this present, and was thrilled. It's not too tough due to the pattern and only 1000 pieces, no endless sky, but there are enough pieces and purple bits to require a bit of thought and challenge.

See one answered question