VINE VOICEon 5 November 2010
This is one of my top rated series in the genre, head and shoulders above all (apart from Vampire Academy, by Richelle Mead). I was a little worried with the previous entry in the series, Kiss of Death, which was several notches below the standard of the rest of the series. But Ghost Town is a welcome return to form.

Negatives: the normal kids are now far to easily beating vampires in combat, with a real sense of Buffy unreality, the repetitive and icky faux romances between the four main characters, and Shane is far too much of a cardboard cut-out of one of Ashton Kutcher's characters (Michael Kelso but not so smart). This contrasts with the greater depth of the other subsidiary characters, Amelie, Oliver, Frank and, well, everyone else. I'd also really like to see something happen to move the series forward; all we got this time was a closer peek at what we already suspected was the relationship between Oliver and Amelie.

The bits that I like: when the houses take an active part in the story, anything involving Myrnin, and, to a lesser extent, Oliver.

I read it, I had a good time.
on 7 January 2012
Below is a list of all of the books in order that are in the series so far

Glass House
Carpe Corpus
Fade Out
Kiss of Death
Ghost Town

Let me just begin by saying that I am a huge fan of this series and If you haven't started reading it, do so right now. I read the complete thing (books 1-9) in less than a week. It was that addicting. Anyways, like the other books, Ghost Town was beautifully written and included all of the elements that I love about this series. There is tons of mystery, excitement, romance and humor.I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical going into book 9, I mean usually by this point, a series starts to go off the deep end. Honestly, how far can you take the same set of characters? And how exactly do you follow up a villian like Bishop? But somehow Caine managed to keep things going strong, by pulling out all the stops. Tell me what is more frightening than having everyone you know and love forget you? Claire is as feisty and determined as ever. She, once again, gets herself in an undesirable predicament. As a punishment, she is forced to fix the machine that wipes the memories of those who leave Morganville. Well, of course, something goes wrong and people (and vampires) start loosing their memories. Those who are infected are taken back mentally to three years ago. Let's just say that chaos ensues. Soon, Claire has no choice but to try and fix the machine and she is forced to make some unlikely alliances along the way. There is plenty of excitement within the book, just like you would come to expect from this series. There are also a number of twists throughout the plot, I don't want to give too much away, but they certainly keep you on your toes. All of your favorite characters are back and ready for action, Eve, Michael, Shane, Mrynin, Amelie and Oliver are all featured throughout the book. I think what makes this series so great is the relationships between the characters. Not only are there great romantic relationships, but there are also a number of awesome friendships. I love the fab four - Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael; I just think they mesh well together. They always have each others back and each one of them would put themselves on the line for the other three. The connection these characters have is really a focus in this book - especially when people start loosing their memories. Caine really does a beautiful job showing how they all sort of gravitate towards each other. All in all, Ghost Town was a great addition to the series. Everything that you love about this series continues in book 9, including the sarcasm, humor, excitement, danger, romance and superb storytelling. I'll say it again, if you haven't read this series yet, you really, really, need to. It is never to late to dive into a series, in fact I prefer it because you don't have to wait as long to see what happens next!
on 23 October 2011
Vampire books are one of the most popular books around, so this book comes up against some stiff competition!

This is book nine of the series and having not read any of the others before I was a little sceptical over whether I would be able to get into it and really enjoy it without knowing any of the previous storylines. However, after only a few pages of reading those concerns were put to bed. The book can certainly stand alone, although there are moments where it is clear you would understand more if you'd read the previous books but I certainly don't feel this takes anything away from reading the book out of order.

I warmed very quickly to the main character, Claire, and this strengthens and develops as you get further into the book. Rachel Caine has a wonderful way of making you feel the emotions of the characters - I went from loving to hating Myrnin many times throughout the book. Shane is certainly a character for the girls, and if made into a film, I am sure that a suitably attractive actor would be enrolled!

I don't want to give too much away storyline-wise, so all I will say is imagine a town full of both vampires and humans is hit by mass amnesia - carnage ensues and it is up to Claire to save Morganville! The storyline is gripping and certainly kept me turning pages! In fact once I'd got to Chapter 7 I didn't put the book down until it got to 2am and I had turned the last page.

The part of the book in which Shane succumbs to the amnesia brings both heartbreaking and uplifting moments. For any romance-lover, it is beautiful to see Claire and Shane fall in love again! The interaction between Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire is wonderful. All-in-all I really loved Rachel Caine' portrayal of their friendship and alliance to one another. Can't wait to read the rest of the series!

I imagine that this series would certainly appeal to Twilight fans and since Vampire books are popping up all over the place now - I think this series is absolutely one to get your hands on!
on 1 November 2010
OMG!! Rachel Caine has did it again. Ghost Town is yet another Fantastic book in the Morganville Vampires Series. I devoured this book in just over day, which for me is doesnt happened that often. It had me gripped from start to finish just like most of the other books in the series. It's Rachel Caine at her best. She has a way to keeping you hooked on a reading rollercoaster, one page everything is calm , the next its all up in air and you a gripping on to the pages to find out what is happening next. Once aspect I loved about Ghost Town is that there is more MYRNIN!!! yeah. I am crazy for the crazy vamp. So that was a huge plus for me.

I am so lucky I had this opportunity to get a chance to read this before the offical released date. To all the fans of the series. You will not be disappointed with this fangtastic (lol) installment. It will have you on the edge of your seat and leave you screaming for more.

However, to those who haven't started this series, I would suggest reading from the first book Glass Houses as I feel it would maybe leave new readers a little confused. So get out there and read them.

I recommend this to everyone. I honestly do. It has something for everyone, adventure, action, and romance and a lot of pretty amazing characters and also a couple of bad one.

Rachel thank you for yet another gripping novel in the Morganville Series. Cant wait for Bite Club!!!!
55 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Morganville isn't the same since Ada and the computer system failed. Claire and Myrnin have been trying to fix the problem. But Claire gets herself into trouble.

Eve attends a party in an abandoned warehouse and she's in danger. Claire, Shane, and Michael run to her rescue. A fight ensues between the vampires and the locals, and Claire ends up killing a vampire. According to town law, the punishment for killing a vampire is death.

Amelie gives her a choice: settle the town's problem or hang in a cage in the town square. Claire chooses to fix the problem. She can't rest until it's solved - she completes the device.

However, in the days to follow, she realizes that something is drastically wrong when people begin losing chunks of their memory. The town becomes deadly once again - even in the daytime. Claire doesn't know what she can do, but she realizes it's up to her to fix the machine before it's too late.

GHOST TOWN delivers another amazing installment of this dangerous, action-packed series about loyalty, friendship, and love.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 8 July 2011
This is the latest installment in the Morganville series and Rachel Caine still manages to keep the reader gripped. Even after 9 books, the story keeps flowing and keeps you hooked until the very last page where, upon finishing it, you cannot wait for the next book.

Claire has more responsibility in this book, she must fix the computer that controls a lot of Morganville after Ada was destroyed. But, in typical Morganville fashion, nothing goes according to plan. Myrnin is his usual (slightly schizophrenic) self and this does nothing to help the cause. Claire has grown a lot since Glass Houses and she's now in a serious relationship with Shane. She's matured quickly and I really like her and the group dynamics of the Glass house members.

As usual with the Morganville books, I didn't want to put it down and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book.
on 29 February 2012
This review may well, and probably does, contain spoilers for books in the Morganville series up to 9.

Ghost Town was one of the more enticing Morganville instalments for me. A favourite and most definitely proof that I'm becoming a bit of a fangirl over this series, particularly when it comes to Myrnin and his vampire-bunny slippers. I really like Myrnin, he's showing some heart now. In fact, if you haven't read this series yet and I haven't tried to book bully you into picking it up, it's only a matter of time.

I love the casual, fun builds ups and Claire and Shane's sweet, goofy banter, although I do get a little tired of all of these groundshaking kisses. But they're so good together so that kind of makes up for it, though I can't help but think that they're going to be shaken up soon.

There are rising tensions between Amelie and Oliver, though that's a lot more complicated than it seems. And when Amelie loses her memory it is a stark reminder of how much she has changed since Sam's death and since meeting Claire.

And oh my god I was not expecting an ending like that. It sent chills through me and I teared up a little bit. Everything was wrapped up nicely but it was so bittersweet. So sad but perfect.

I welcomed the short story at the end of the book, Worth Living For, just to cheer me up after that ending. It was from the perspective of Shane and the first Morganville short I've read. It exposes to us how much Shane cares and a lot of the things that he keeps inside. All in all it was a nice feel good little story. And though it's set between Fade Out and Kiss of Death, it slotted in perfectly at the end of Ghost Town.
on 20 February 2012
Morganville has been left vulnerable ever since the vampire computer Ada went nuts and died. Claire has been tasked with building and programming a new computer to protect the town, preferably one that doesn't require an actual brain. But as soon as Claire gets the new computer online people start to forget. Vampires don't know they are vampires, humans don't know where they are and soon more and more people are lost. Claire needs to figure out a solution before she forgets how to save Morganville.

This is the ninth book in the Morganville vampires series (after Glass Houses,The Dead Girls' Dance,Midnight Alley,Feast of Fools,Lord of Misrule,Carpe Corpus,Fade Out and Kiss of Death) and is set back in Morganville after the previous book's road trip. The plot is full of twists and turns as usual and gets stuck into the action almost immediately.

The forgetfulness epidemic is really well-written and it creates a level of tension throughout the book. It is interesting seeing who forgets and who doesn't, and great seeing how Claire deals with people stuck three years in the past...especially as she herself has only been in Morganville for about 18 months. The characters who do forget are cleverly written, managing to fit well as the past versions of characters I've grown to know and love.

Claire becomes even more independent in this book and it's great to see her really maturing to a near adult level. Left without the support her friends and family, Claire manages to cope and even seek out help from unexpected sources. She even takes responsibility for the flaw in the computer she helped build in a mature way without whining.

This edition even has a bonus short story called "Worth Living For" which features Shane getting asked for help by Hannah and Richard with a rogue vampire problem. It doesn't really add anything to the Morganville world, but it is a fun read.

All in all this was another great read and I can't wait to start Bite Club.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 8/10

Overall: 47/50
on 25 November 2010
Oh my god, there are no words to describe the awesomeness that is Rachel Caine and her Morganville Vampires series. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Rachel Caine is, quite simply, a genius. Fact. Every single time I read one of these books, I am blown away by this woman's imagination and how far it stretches. It seems there is no end to what Rachel Caine can think up to put our wonderful Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael through. It is amazing to me that these characters are still alive, let alone sane. Caine sure lands them in a lot of crazy, but, man, you've got to love the crazy that is Morganville!

In Carpe Corpus, Ada - the human turned vampire turned vampire brain controlling the computer/machine that keeps the town running - died, leaving the computer without a brain to control. The boundries that stop people leaving Morganville and the memory loss that effects people who are allowed to leave Morganville aren't working. Amelie is tired of the town being at risk, so she gets Claire and Myrnin to fix it. And they do. Sort of.

But then strange things start happening. People start to get confused and forget things. They try to go to work in places that no longer exist. They go home to houses they no longer live at. They think they're back at school. They think relatives who have died are still around. They lost three years of their lives over the course of a few days. And it's not just the humans, vampires are forgetting too. Not so great for a human when they turn up to see a vampire who now has no recollection of who they are and why they are intruding. Those who were once assistants now become snacks. And because of the machine.

What follows is the crazy I have mentioned before. Seriously, crazy crazy. If you didn't think Morganville was safe before, think again. You have vampires being the kind of vampires we would expect them to be; terrifying, fast, strong hunters who want nothing more than your blood. Which is even worse when one of those vampires happens to be Myrnin, who was never really sane to begin with. Myrnin becomes the most terrifying monster; crazy, mad scientist who likes to play with his food.

Claire has to race against time to get the machine sorted before she forgets herself. And with more and more people around you not knowing who the hell you are, it becomes much more difficult. Not to mention lonely. I can't really say much more without causing lots and lots of spoilers, but this book is quite literally... mad. But amazing. And just completely genius!

There is the amazingly awesome action that you come to expect from a Morganville Vampire novel; fast paced, seriously dangerous, and leaving you on the edge of your seat. There is also a lot of emotion flying all over from everyone; hearts break and people go almost half mad. It's just too brilliant!

This really is an amazing yet unbelievable story from Caine. My jaw was literally dropping when I read the last page, and I'm dying for the next book! The stories just get better and better. If my review isn't enough to make you want to pick this book up, the fact that Ghost Town made the Number One Children's Bestseller List in the UK should!

There is also an exclusive to the UK short story at the back of this book called Worth Living For, which happens between Fade Out and Kiss of Death. Following Shane, it's about the possibility of Michael helping a fugitive, and it's awesome. It's Shane. It's Michael. It's amazing.

And I am so, so, so glad there are three more books before the end of this series, though I would much rather it went on and on. Bring on Bite Club, which is coming out in May 2011!
on 14 November 2010
I felt quite sorry for Claire this time around, more so than usual. The poor girl has been through so much and I'm really beginning to wonder how much more of it she can take. Just the thought of her all alone in Morganville if everyone around her forgot who she was made me sad. I didn't want Claire to have to deal with everything on her own again or to be left working for an insane vampire. She really showed her maturity and level headedness when it came to the situation she had been put in. I love this side to Claire just as much as I like the side of her that wants to kick ass. As a character, Claire really goes through some big changes in Ghost Town due to how the story works out.

Myrnin has been one of my favourite characters since he made his first appearance in this series. One of the things that I loved about him this time was getting to see how he was before meeting Claire. It has been stated in previous books that he wasn't always as sane (even though he isn't completely sane at all) as he is now. Myrnin had quite a terrible past and was what most people would think of when the topic of vampires is brought up. I love how schizophrenic his character is normally and when the memory loss factor was added in, he just ended up being completely insane. I loved seeing how different the old Myrnin was compared to the current Myrnin and how his life/ personality had changed over the short space of three years.

Rachel Caine wastes no time in getting straight back into the story, picking up from where Kiss of Death left off. With a lot of big series, I have had to re read the latest book before reading the newest one so that I know what is going on. Even though it has been a couple of months since reading the previous books in this series, it all came flooding back to me very quickly and there was never a point where I had to think back and remember what had happened. There were little reminders throughout though as to what happened in a couple of the previous books so this will be a nice reminder for people who can't totally remember everything. What I liked most about the story was never being able to decide on who was going to lose their memories next. It really could have been anyone and I liked the element of surprise here.

Ghost Town was a fabulous read and certainly worth the wait. Even though it isn't my favourite book of the series, it did come extremely close. Obviously, if you haven't read any of the previous Morganville books, you really wont know what is happening if you start with this one. The tenth book in the series wont be out for a long time yet but I know that it will be one that I will be buying on release day.