on 24 July 2013
Another constant-action mission for circlemaster Halfdan, in his character of jewel merchant Basil Callenius, with Caina acting as his younger daughter, her new lover (Corvalis) as the party's guard, and Corvalis' sister (Claudia) as Basil's elder daughter. The latter siblings have pasts as complicated as Caina's own, and, although offered places within the Ghosts, things are clearly not going to be as simple as might be hoped for relationships with the ex-Kindred assassin and his sister, a former magus of the Magisterium. Sent as part of the Emperor's mission to negotiate for a weapon which is proclaimed as an invention which will stop all wars, the team meet up with old enemies and new, plots within plots, magic, necromancy, and personal betrayal, yet they form some strange new friendships, which may be useful in the future. Throughout the excitement, murder, and mayhem, Caina is still plagued - and, oddly, helped - by the ever-present Jadriga, even while being in constant danger from the unstoppable Sicarion.

The plot is extremely clever, and Jonathan Moeller is to be congratulated on the power of his writing skills, which draw the reader into the lands and peoples of his imagination, yet make his characters rounded, believable beings with all our own flaws and weaknesses. His baddies are bad; his goodies are good, but their reactions to each other are convincing, and even the minor characters stay with you after the end of the story. Since Halfdan begins by warning that if Corvalis causes any hurt to Caina, Halfdan will be obliged to kill him, it will be interesting to see where the next instalment goes... and then there is the question of what will happen to Jadriga... and there's the rather interesting stormdancer, and the war against the Emperor... and what about that coffee shop... I've just read the short story "Ghost Claws", and am off to find out more in "Ghost in the Ashes".

You may want to know that there are still quite a few errors in the text, where the spell-check has allowed the wrong word to be inserted, and sometimes words are left out entirely, but these are momentary distractions from a fascinating tale.

While it would be possible to read this book as a stand-alone, I would strongly recommend the books be read in order, to get the maximum pleasure from the growth of the story and the development of the characters, and more readily appreciate the complexities of the regular characters and their histories.
on 4 November 2013
The ghost series is IMHO the best of Johnathan Moellers works.
The characters are well written and the storylines interesting.

The series does not suffer from the usual problems of epic fantasy works - where the characters become ever more powerful.
In this book we start to see changes to Caina - and not in the way I expected with Jadriga.

A city of mages seek to sell the ultimate weapon to the highest bidder. With the empire and new Kyre embroiled in a mutually destructive war everyone seeks control of the weapon.
At the same time a powerful mage seeks to kill Jadriga and Caina happens to be in the way.

The politics and world is starting to come together quite well and this series i can see going on and on quite happily.
on 15 May 2013
Read the first in the series (free on kindle so give it a go) then bought 5 in a row. I like to support authors i like and the model of first one free then not to much for the rest suits my reading habits. Just over £10 for all 6 well worth it.
on 12 April 2013
This series has been my first real venture into ebooks and I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. While a couple of spelling mistakes and wrong words came to my attention in the previous books, I didn't notice any in this one.

I'm a sucker for books about assassins since reading the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and this series doesn't disappoint. The characters are compelling and the plots are well worked throughout, but I think this one is the best of the lot.

My only concern now is that having read all of the books in the past week, finishing one and moving straight to the next, is that I will have to wait a while for my next fix.
on 12 May 2013
The story is easy to read, a joy to follow, a really good book. The Ghost's series has been like a breath of fresh air to me. I have enjoyed every book and I can't wait until the next one. More please.
on 16 December 2013
I've read all these books so far, and every book, and practically every page(I said practically) has mistakes. I really don't know how this author(or his publisher) gets away with so many mistakes in the books. As I wrote in my very first review on this author's book, he has a good storyline, good characters, but no-one checks either the words put in the wrong place, or missing altogether. I do like the stories, along with the characters, but please, if someone sees this review who visits his homepage, please notify him of his errors, I would do it myself, but I fear after this many books, he's beyond any help from anyone.
on 12 May 2013
vfery much enjoyed the first book, have some of the future ones, recommended them for my hubby to read, good
on 16 April 2014
I enjoyed all the books and I do enjoy the light read by Jonathan Moeller, but if you can't stand repeating stories in the books I would stay away from this line theme from him.
I do love the main lady but to me he made her, to friget, angry and lonely and I wish he made her something more than what she was set out to do.
on 28 October 2014
I love the ghost series, each time expanding on the last story but never forgetting what happened. Each time slowly building on the main character. All the books can be read on their own but every one helps build up the picture. This one doesn't fail the hit the mark for me. Well written and paced at just the right amount.
on 15 March 2013
All the characters are now fully developed, and this is the best plot so far. As usual constant action but now incorporating characters from the previous books producing a fantastic captivating book. Only down side is once again could have done with proof reading as spell check has obviously inserted the wrong word.