on 23 April 2014
1. The Unproductive Mind
2. Tools and Resources
3. Get Things Done
4. Other People
I enjoyed part one and found it interesting and helpful. The author speaks of his personal experiences in ways I could relate to and appreciate. He expressed himself and his own insights and ideas well based on his own experiences. The remaining 3 parts of the book however, felt as though they'd been written by a different person. The personal stories and insights disappeared and were replaced by vague summaries of a variety of self-help texts and 'guru' ideas pieced together in a complex and generally unhelpful way. By the end I felt as though I'd read very short summaries of fifteen or sixteen self-help books and would have been better off purchasing a couple of them and fully digesting their ideas.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm sorry, I really wanted to like this book but I found it quite irritatingly predictable and light weight. Stories of the author's under achievement and success, a bit of passing psychology, you get the picture. It's not terrible, I've seen worse, but it didn't do much for me I'm afraid. The author is a bit too present for me.
on 7 February 2016
This book is clearly written, does not waste words, re-states the blindingly obvious to all of us who continue NOT to do the blindingly obvious in ways that made me want to GET THINGS DONE. So thank you Robert Kelsey for writing it - it's already making me infinitely more productive. Of course, it's easy to review such a book in terms of it being light weight or 'obvious' or 'uneven' which several other reviewers have done. I donl't notice any of them offering tips that aren't covered in the book! Sure Kelsey goes over old ground - but he does it wonderfully well and persuasively, he is pragmatic and realistic and he expects us to take three steps forward and then fall steps back, and is honest. So for me this is a really great and inspiring text deserving of the 5 stars I've given it.
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2014
Common Sense.

The only person this book is likely to help is the author. Helping him to get richer.

It's an over-wordy rehash of the work pioneered by others with a bit of a spin on.

There are five (5) diagrams/illustrations/photos in this book - The photo is the author.

How does this book speak to the visual learner? It doesn't. Quoting others, putting his spin on the quote and its significance and speaking of his personal experiences is not the answer. 209 pages is too long.

I've been looking for a guide to help me focus on what I want for the future and this book does not have it.

If you want to be successful, there is no substitute for hard work. Seriously. I'm not talking about gruelling physical labour, I'm talking about good honest to goodness effort. The internet is a vast repository of knowledge that will help you in your research.

Set yourself realistic goals. Learn to take smaller steps to reach the greater heights. No one expects you to leap to the top of a tall building in one bound but there's no reason why you cannot take several trips in the lifts to get to the top.

The main problem I see in people is that they set goals that are too far outside their reach and time-scale. They are selfish for that promotion, that advancement and they forget their peers. They treat people with contempt. They want it now, with minimum effort and little cost. It's the celebrity culture.

If you want a better job, a brighter prospect, a rosier future, then you must be prepared to work for it. Only then will you appreciate the sacrifices you have made and the sacrifices others have made to put you where you end up.

If you start things and then lose interest, you need to take a look at your life. Ask yourself why you started something and lost interest. It might be cost, ill health or any other reason. Make a list of all the things you started and abandoned and why. Go down that list and pick one thing. Finish it. Pick the easiest thing to finish. Paint that door frame. Stop that table wobbling. Do a good job so that you don't have that problem again. When that's done, choose something else to finish. As you progress through the list, the tasks become more complex but your experience makes them easier.

You'll learn more about yourself by doing things for yourself and not reading this book.

This book is not recommended.
on 16 June 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found the book interesting and thought provoking. I tend to be a person that listens to new ideas, concepts, points of view and then adapt these to my own style or would i consider reasonable and logical, The book will certainly provide a number of hints and tips about working in the administration office world. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a nice self help book that is a bit uneven in tone:-

The first part enthusiastically bares all, listing all the authors difficulty in being unproductive. He does very well in identifying the problems and forging a plan of management.

The second part goes into self help proper mode, becoming dry and trying to organise his plan into principles that are close to concepts from other productivity guides. This is enlivened again by other personal examples.

I enjoyed it and must say that even though certain parts got tedious, it was helpful.
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's an interesting and informative read but for me it's written in a certain style that will not suit too many, it would probably be better as a audio cd/download format. It's not particularly rambling but it is as quoted a smorgasbord of tips which sometimes gets a little confusing. It is packed full of quotes from Aristotle to Harold Kerzner (project management), which although nice to know where the ideas come from is a little too much at times. For some this book will be an excellent read but for many looking to 'get things done', it will be a tough read.
on 26 July 2015
I found lots of golden nuggets in this book, I found I related very closely to the authors life of failed attempts at enterprise and have put some of the (common sense) ideas in to practice. I will go back to this one time and time again I'm sure... I'll now admit I came across this book on a charity stall, unread, for 25p, I may not have bought it for the current list price! But I'm glad I did buy it.
on 21 June 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was okay for a quick read. The advice is generally solid and seems reasonable.
He writes quite well. There are hundreds of similar books but this is a little better and more sober than the usual.

A fairly decent self-help book though I would have liked more detail.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In a saturated market, it is hard to find motivational books which offer something new and insightful to the reader. This book unfortunately falls short of the mark and whilst it is OK, it won't impart any particular wisdom on its reader and as such I wouldn't really recommend it.