on 1 December 2008
An excellent cake book - recipes that work and interesting snippets of information about baking. My copy is falling to pieces now. Some unusual and delicious recipes which are still requested in my family. This makes a good companion to Delia's famous book of cakes. Geraldine Holt is a good cookery writer who deserves better exposure. Let's hope some publisher will see the light and republish her recipe books.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 June 2006
I bought this book in the 1980s for about £5 or so and I am still making the lunch box cake and flapjack for my teenagers from this book. I am not sure it is worth £48 though, not unless it is new and shiny. It is a small paperback book after all.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Because I'm really interested in cooking for cake stalls, I hunted the second-hand sites until I was able to get a copy of this very hard-to-find book at an affordable price.

It's a nice book: thoughtfully written, practical recipes that entice you into baking them. Many of them have hints about how long they keep, and Geraldene Holt also gives plenty of thought to the expense. For example, she talks about finding a friendly egg farmer who might sell you cracked eggs for a low price.

BUT:
- as another reviewer said, it's just an ordinary Penguin paperback, no illustrations, nothing fancy. For similar recipes at a much lower price, you'd probably do just as well with Delia Smith's Book of Cakes (Coronet Books), from approximately the same era and widely available for much less
- if you were wanting tips about running a cake stall, e.g. for a fete or at a market, then you won't find much in here to help you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...