Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Oct 2009 21:51:38 BDT
For many many years, I have been convinced that the greatest conductor ever to grace the podium was the Hungarian emigre American George Szell, so much so that I am enbarking on a massive project to write a biography of the great man himself, or at least attempt to.

But firstly I should like to start a discussion about him so I can establish whether I am a complete nutter or whether there are fellow fans with whom I can share reviws and stories.

To begin with, let me say that the percieved view of Szell as a martinet are totally at odds with the truth. Yes, he was a perfectionist and did not suffer fools gladly. But in comparison with Toscanini and Reiner, he was a pussy cat, a pussy cat who gave us the finest performances of Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Haydn, Mahler, Walton and many more.

Over to you.

Austen Biss, Hove, UK

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2010 10:41:45 BDT
Go for it Mr Austin. I agree with you about Szell, as Sir Neville Cardus said, he was in a class of his own, and it is a disgrace that there is no biography.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 20:02:04 GMT
I agree and have many of his live recordings from 1965-70 with the Cleveland Orchestra, including incendiary performances of Verdi's Requiem and Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.
A biography of Szell by Michael Charry is due out in June from Uni. of Illinois.
Go for it!
Ian Harper
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  24 Oct 2009
Latest post:  17 Jan 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Verdi: Messa da Requiem
Verdi: Messa da Requiem by Anja Harteros (Audio CD - 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (24)