TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 May 2014
Note Amazon have put a range of Garmin models on the same review page this review covers the "65LM 6" model"
This is a newer model which is part of the updated "Essential Series". Don't expect a revolution in terms of features (still very much entry level for Sat Navigation), however you do get a bigger screen which is now a nice large 6 inches.

Software across all the models is the same, where they differ is in terms of features. This comes with the unit, car mounting suction cup and lead for power in car (you can buy a travel kit that has a home charger)

Quick summary on the main points of the 65LM

Pros:
+ Good value for a larger 6" screen with lifetime maps and updates
+ The 6" screen is quite sharp (800 x 480 pixels) and easy to read, it's OK even in bright light (they have improved a bit here)
+ You do get the "Trip planner" which is handy for longer multiple way-point journeys (the super budget models lack this) and the trip log which shows the routes driven on the map
+ Option to expand memory via micro SD card (only really useful if you upgrade to the European maps)
+ Speed limit warning, both visual and audible (you can turn the sound off if you wish some hate it) And safety camera alerts
+ Points of interest search option, tourist attractions, hotels, petrol stations, restaurants, shopping centres, simply enter the POI mode and you can select what you are looking for and it will show you a list of these and directly navigate you to them once selected.
+ Lane assist, you can't go wrong here it is very simple and clear for motorway driving
+ You can avoid tolls and motorways in the route options
+ Postcode or street search for main navigation

Cons:
- Not Traffic compatible, even if you have the FM traffic cable (or plan to buy it later) the device cannot use it
- Doesn't have "Traffic Trends", this uses historical data on well known routes (including the time of day/traffic volume) models that do have this can avoid heavy traffic routes.
- No pedestrian navigation mode
- No "eco route" option to plan a route based on fuel economy
- Battery life is quoted at 1 hour out of the charger, in field use you will be lucky to get that

It's worth installing Garmin Express via download which will allow you to update the device not just the maps but firmware, newer voices etc etc. This can also improve the route planing (and it has got better with recent updates) You can see updates becoming available on the pc even without attaching the device.

Navigation is mostly easy, and most routes are well planned. However Garmin have not quite nailed the map updates as some new roads my not be shown (and some don't get updated for quite a while) there are also the odd errors (one way streets not showing or the wrong way) these are minor point but I'd like to see more work done here by Garmin's map team. 98% of the maps/roads are correct though. Voices you have quite a good choice, and they have become less "robotic" over time.

You can customise the car icon too and change the layout that suits you best (dashboards) and there are quite a few free ones to pick from (I even have a Simpsons one!)

This is an entry model so it doesn't have blue-tooth, voice commands (speak to the device to navigate), no 3-D buildings and landmarks, no MP3 or audio book player. For 95% of users this isn't going to be an issue, if you want them you can look at older models that might be on sale, or more expensive newer ones. The lack of pedestrian mode and limited battery life make this really a car only choice, there are better options for on foot navigation.

If you are a frequent car traveller then you might want to consider a model that does support the FM Traffic receiver (I don't miss it myself but if you are on the motorway a lot it does warn you about congestion ahead)

Overall though despite the no frills spec it has most of the features you might want, a nice large and clear display, easy to use, and the lifetime UK and ROI maps update included makes the nuvi 65LM quite a good sat nav for the asking price.
1313 comments|399 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2015
Bought one from Tesco, as I got double my clubcard vouchers off. i.e. £10 voucher became a £20 voucher. Got £70 off in total when I bought from Tesco.

Anyway, that aside. This Sat Nav is excellent. Bought it, then plugged it in straight away and let it take me home. Worked a treat! Very easy to use, re-routes VERY quickly, and the speech directions are very clear. Although, I did have to take about 15 minutes(it's just under 4GB, but I have fibre optic broadband, so was quick) to update the maps as there was one roundabout I passed which, on the factory set maps, didn't exist(but does on the updated version, thankfully!).

10/10
on 7 April 2015
It all worked fine at first. I used it fine and at first thought the lane assist was very good. However on a journey from East Yourks to Wiltshire, it didn't get the lanes quite right and was actually more confuding than not having it.

Then on the first map update I tried to download, things went wrong...The update kept stopping. This was for both the maps and the software for the unit. I will add to this that I had bought a different sat nav from Garmin which I returned and replaced with this one, due to the same problem.

I phoned Garmin and they just sent me a load of emails telling me how to fix it. None of it worked. The Garmin customer service man that I spoke to said that they are having problems with Garmin Express - the software that updates the sat nav units.

Luckily I bought it through Amazon and as usual their customer service was fantastic. They arranged a full refund there and then, and sent me the labels to return the satnav via collect plus.

I wouldn't recommend a Garmin sat nav with live updates until they have their software sorted out. Amazon however are excellent!
55 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2015
EXCELLENT BIG DISPLAY, EASY TO USE, UPDATES EASY TO INSTALL, TOP RECOMMENDATION I'VE HAD TOM TOMS BUT THIS WAS MY BEST BUY IN YEARS
on 6 November 2015
Had done some research before purchase so I had a good idea what to expect performance and capability wise. The Sat-nav is simple to install, to
programme and to operate, doing all the things it is supposed to without fault or difficulty. In addition I got the item at a great price, delivered quickly and really well packaged right to my door. Surely, enough said.
on 6 August 2015
Bought this recently for a trip to Scotland. Very useful in navigating the busy streets of the old town in Edinburgh which are quite a maze. Very accurate and only got confused once and quickly righted itself. You need to allow it to align with the satellite before driving off which is what we didn't do on that occasion which was our fault. I'm sur we will find it invaluable in the future.
on 8 January 2015
This item performed as you expect from Garmin and is an improvement on my old Garmin when you go off route you don't have to wait for it to recalculate a new route it goes immediately to the new route without any fuss. It is good value for money if you don't want to use it on the continent
on 18 January 2015
Brilliant navigator. I'm amazed at the improvement over my three year old 4.3 Garmin and it's much cheaper. Better screen, more information and just as quick to find the routes. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the more expensive models. I rarely used them and certainly haven't missed them.
on 13 September 2014
Well made but taking a little time to get used to settings, history etc. There's a quick start guide but to get more information I had to go online to find the guidance manual. I like Lifetime updates. Amazon pricing was on a par with a rival retailer but Amazon's postage was cheaper & more convenient. Nice product & excellent service from Amazon.
on 4 June 2015
My last sat nav died on me so this was a "panic buy" as I use them every day for my work. Good machine at a very good price. We will have to see how long it lasts!