Top positive review
22 people found this helpful
Garmin 650 Oregon Opinion
on 17 November 2013
I bought the Garmin Oregon 650 for the purposes of car navigation, bicycle navigation and for walking and it does all 3 with perfect ease. The menu system is so intuitive, new and fresh yet Garmin has kept the same trusted look and feel that they have always had- if it isn't broken why fix it?? The main benefits of this system are:
- It fits nicely in your hand and yet has a weight that tells you it is a quality product- not a light, cheap plastic feel you get with modern sat-navs.
- It uses standard AA batteries and standard USB cables to power the unit- no manufacturers bespoke batteries and cables which would normally cost a fortune.
- I can download OpenStreetMap on the device and if I see problems on the map I can go straight onto the OpenStreetMap website, fix the problem (ANY map related problem) and re-download the map and have the problem fixed in minutes/hours. Many other manufacturers of sat-nav maps take over 12 months after a reported map incident to get a fix on a map- not with this Garmin and OpenStreetMap!!
- Using OpenStreetMap on the Garmin Oregon I can download national and regional walks, scenic routes, ski runs (even entire ski resorts!!) and so many other things onto the device- it's a navigators' heaven!
- I can set up different profiles to the type of navigation I want- so I can have a car navigation profile, a bicycle navigation profile, a skiing profile, a sailing profile and have each working in a different way customized to the type of navigation I actually want.
- The device is so customizable I can display any of the information I want quickly on the screen- brilliant!!
- The TFT screen is amazing and so clear! Also what is nice is that you can use the screen with gloves on....something you just cannot do with capacitive screens like on modern day cell phones- yet it looks and performs just like a capacitive touch screen.
- It is completely waterproof.
- The camera is fantastic.
The list of things you can do with this unit is just amazing and all I have to say is: Garmin...you've done a great job with this unit. You clearly understand what navigators want and you've made relevant and welcome changes compared to lower spec units and not made pointless changes for the sake of change. Amazing!