Colour Name: black|Style Name: With Heart Rate Monitor|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 February 2015
I upgraded from my trusty forerunner 610, which was inadvertently left through a washing machine cycle from which it never recovered.

Like that watch, I did have to think twice about spending such an amount on a running watch, but I'm pleased to report I've very happy with my purchase.

First of all, GPS reception - I had been quite happy with the 610, which was picking up satellites in about 30-60 seconds. The 620 is much faster - without pre-caching, it's probably about 30 seconds, but the key thing is pre-caching - when you sync it, it loads a weeks worth of satellite positions, and if you've done this, I usually get satellite pickup in less than 5 seconds - fantastic.

Battery is good too - I've managed several long runs on the same charge - certainly get a couple more hours on top of the 610.

The UI and control has been tweaked and improved from the 610 as well - I found the menus better to navigate, though very similar structure to the 610.
I've not had any issues with rain/sweat affecting the connection between your finger at the screen either.

Other notable features -
- Bluetooth Sync - for the 610, I used the ANT+ in my home computer. The 610 has Wifi or Bluetooth. I've setup the bluetooth sync, which is excellent. Automatically connects to my phone, and uploads my run data to Garmin. This happens immediately after my run - so if I go for a run at work or some other location where I wouldn't have wifi access on my phone, there is no waiting to get home - it'll be immediately uploaded.

- Virtual Racer. This has changed from the 610. For some bizarre reason, Virtual Racer has been removed from the 620. This is quite annoying, as it was a feature I used heavily, and there is no reason it should have been removed after being on the 610 and other Garmin watches. Virtual Pacer is still there though.

- Easy changing of data fields during activity. You don't even have to preconfigure the screens - holding a data field will change the information available on that field.

- New useful metrics VO2 Max, race predictor, and cool down heart rate. These are new metrics I've enjoyed - based on your heart rate, you get a VO2 max measurement, which you can try and improve. Similarly, a prediction of your race time can be provided based on your run/heart rate. Finally, a minute after you've finished, you get a cool down heart rate - what your heart rate is, and how much it dropped from the end of the activity. This is a nice goal to have, as I've definitely noticed a difference in this, the more I train.

- New, geeky, but less useful metrics. With the advanced HRM-Run heart rate strap, there are additional mertrics - Ground Contact Time, Vertical Oscilliation, and Cadence. You get an idea of where your personal metric falls in a band of 5, but there is little you can do to change it. However, I did think that Cadence can be useful, trying to focus on turning legs over rather than stride length when you're trying to run faster.

In summary - a superb running watch. The main downside is that it is a pretty steep price, but if you're doing a lot of miles, this great bit of kit is definitely worth the money. I would have given it 5 stars, but dropping it to 4 for the inexcusable decision to remove features from a more expensive watch, and to completely ignore the clamour from customers to do something about it.
on 27 April 2014
Pros:

+ Fast to find satellites (thanks to caching of positions)
+ HRM gives smooth and accurate readings
+ New running dynamics metrics (cadence, ground contact and vertical oscillation) are useful

Cons:

+ Wifi transfer is temperamental (needs some more work on firmware)
+ Colour on screen is nothing like marketing material (it all looks grey too me and fairly dim to be honest)
on 26 March 2014
I love this watch. GPS signal is found within a few seconds of leaving the house and maps perfectly to other GPS watches I have used. The HRM strap is great, doesn't loose signal, and gives all the information for cadence etc. If only I could work out what to do with all the information!
on 6 June 2016
This watch is super good. I had only done a few runs when I bought this watch so I was not a big runner however now I am finding the motivation to run 3-5 times a week. There where a couple of issues setting it up but it did not take long at all. Now I come in from a run and my watch automatically syncs with my phone and posts my results all over the Internet to places like strava.

I use the watch mid run to see my current pace and speed up if I am not doing so well

I do however now spend ages analysing all of my results after park run on a weekend.

The only issues I had is twice my heard monitor was loose and kept moving from my chest both times I tried to put it on with a tshirt on and the strap might have got bent. The only time the battery was flat which I am a little unsure how it happened.
on 31 May 2016
I bought this for my wife as a birthday present. This is an excellent training aid. The GPS tracking, HRM functions are excellent. Speed and distance accuracy when cycling are very good. Changing profiles can be a little fiddly, but the menu's are logical and the watch functions very well. The advanced running analytics are well beyond my wifes needs but provide useful insight into how she is performing and gaining strength and speed.

The garmin software can be slightly peculiar and in places not that well thought out, however, so far we haven't found any glitches worth losing sleep over.
on 19 July 2014
The watch works OK for its functional outdoor activities, although the GPS accuracy isn't as good as other devices from Garmin (and the latest update made it worse), but it's OK for tracking runs and seeing your training effectiveness. The training features and Garmin Connect website are good, although the new look website is still being worked on, I would stick to the original view for now. However, it is the Wireless capability that lets this product down.

There is a known fault with this product, and the wireless does not work for nearly all watches produced by Garmin. There are some debugging activities you can try out on the Garmin forum site to see if your watch is affected by the wireless chip fault. After trying for a long time to get the wireless to work, I am returning the watch to Garmin, as have hundreds of people.

There are also issues with the Garmin express software, and people have said that they have issues on the mac operating system. Therefore, helps if you have a PC to look after the watch when installing updates and setting up wireless.

The product support from Garmin on this matter is really bad. If you email, you will be lucky to get a response within a month. I would call. They told me they have a massive backlog of issues to solve, and are not getting through them quickly. No doubt due to the poor quality of this product.

Therefore, due to Amazon's policy of 30 day returns, I would advise people not to try Garmin support and return to Amazon if wireless does not work before 30 days is up. Some people are getting working watches now from Garmin, but chances are that the older watches in stock at shops and online will no doubt have this problem.
on 4 November 2014
GPS Accuracy - fine, GPS Satellite Signal Acquisition time fine. Wireless uploading to Garmin Connect - DOES NOT WORK. This is what brings the product down to a 1 star review for me. The internet is littered with people complaining that wireless upload via wifi does not work. For me, it works maybe 1 in every 10 attempts - not good enough. Garmin must have spotted this in their testing but released the product anyway. Though its possible to upload via the USB cable, I paid for this feature and it should work. Total con-job by Garmin. This watch is way too expensive to have a flaw like this.
review image
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2016
Upgraded from the Forerunner 305 and very happy. I wouldn't have paid the £300+ original price when it was launched, but having a serious runner friend who was very pleased with the 620 and seeing the price dropping to near £200 was enough encouragement to buy it. Very light and discreet (unlike the 305) and data transfer is easy with WiFi and Bluetooth automatic transmission. Very pleased with the watch and recommending it to other running mates.
on 21 March 2014
*** Updated review ***
Since the latest review, I have sent the watch to Garmin and they replaced it within a week. The new watch seems to be working much better (occasional post-run resets still continue)and so far gaining my confidence. The new software update (version 2.70) might have helped with some issues as well. So I am changing my rating a couple of notches higher.

First review:
The watch has wonderful new features and clearly a significant improvement over 610 but it is not stable yet. It resets frequently, it has WiFi connection issues and freezes randomly. I think the firmware updates will solve the issues at some point but if you buy it now, you might get frustrated and disappointed. Garmin people are aware of this (check the Forerunner 620 forum) and I am 100% sure they will solve it but I don't think the product is ready for any major races, runs that are important for you.

As I had more issues with the watch I thought I should add it here...I did a 30k run last weekend with no issues during the run. However, after I finished the workout and wanted to save it, the screen got locked at 'saving' mode and never recovered. None of the buttons worked and I had to put in the charger for a while, try various combinations of pressing buttons and finally bringing the watch to life. BUT the run data were erased. Imagine this happening after your important race, a marathon or half marathon or ironman. So lowered the number of starts to only one. I already applied Garmin to get it fixed or exchanged and waiting for their response.
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2016
My wife loves this. It was a present. She's a keen runner and finds this very accurate and loaded with useful features. Battery seems good too. I've used it and it makes me run faster every time to beat previous times. It's great at motivating you to work harder.
GPS sometimes a little slow to pick up but always does and it's not a big issue.
Overall, very happy wife and watch it excellent.