Garmin Forerunner 220 GPS Running Watch with Colour Display - Black/Red
Colour Name: Black/RedStyle Name: Without HRMChange
Price:£135.01+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 14 December 2014
I spent months deliberating over buying a GPS watch. I started running more seriously over the last year and have completed both the half and full marathon distances.
Having used runkeeper on my iPhone I kept putting off buying a GPS device as I felt my phone already did it all for essentially free (especially since I would still need my phone to listen to music). I also found the range of GPS devices confusing and was unsure of what features I would actually need. having spoken to people with GPS devices I decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did.
setting up the watch is so easy. to be honest I've yet to read the instructions (maybe since I'd read so much about it before buying it). checking the watch during running is only a glance as opposed to having to unlock and turn around my phone on the armband. heart rate information is useful and I will use this more when I again start marathon training. workouts and courses can be devised on the website and sent to the device when paired with my phone. Pairing with the heart rate monitor and my phone are very simple.
although some reviews have said that it picks up satellites in seconds I find its a few minutes so I just set the watch outside on the windowsill whilst getting ready and its good to go when I am.
I picked the 220 as its the latest model and as such the latest technology therefore by my logic should be more future proof.
I've heard that the accuracy indoors on a treadmill can be quite poor but I haven't tried this yet.
the garmin connect app and website are easy to use and provide all the information I cold possibly use.
on 13 June 2015
I originally gave this watch 4 stars as the garmin connect was a real pain too access on my pc.I now have garmin connect on my chromebook instead and i'm happy to say it works :) .It must have been my anti virus programme (bit defender) that hindered my access. If your having problems accessing garmin connect then try it on another computer or mobile.Now to the watch .Ihave been training for 2 weeks(1/2 mara Sept).I see the distance covered ,time and pace whist running. I have read alot about long distance running.The secret is to run at a leisurely pace at the beginning,nearer the end the tempo is increased in order to break personal records.As the main problem when starting a race is that adrenelin and the excitement of the start means that you run way too fast in the beginning.Which means that after only a short distance your finished.You havnt got the energy or will power to continue.This watch is brilliant that shows you your pace.I am learning to pace myself for the first 1/2 of my run then increasing my pace in the last 1/2.As week for week i increase my running distance ,in the end i will be able to run 10.55 km at a leisurely pace then increase my pace for the last 10.55 km.As my training plan is scheduled to progress at a achievable rate over 13 weeks,i will succeed in the end.I am keeping up with my weekly targets(which i never thought possible).Thanks to the watch and the garmin connect i can see all my race info.I can even map a route and run it.I did try interval training,but i ran far too quickly and pulled a muscle( i am now running at slow pace to aid recovery).The battery is at about90% after 2 weeks(it does however get a little charge when its connected to the computer.A word of warning- When your not running turn off the gps and heart rate moniter as it will drain your battery in no time.On the map i can see where i've run,even the altitude.The pulse graph also helps to see where your going wrong so you know where to speed up/slow down.It is a fantastic bit of kit.I would never have been able to progress this fast just running without the watch.The watch keeps you informed of your progress and helps motivate you.And if you ever want an easy way to loose weight then start running.I've lost 4 kg in 2 weeks.Its the first time in donkeys years that i've weighed under 80 kg.My viseral fat which has stubbornley stayed very high for years has now decreased by 2%.Weight training over 2 years didnt decrease my viseral fat but running for 2 weeks did.If you are going to train for a race then you carnt drink alcohol and run the next day.I have 2 rest days a week which i can drink moderatley,this in turn means i'm not eating lots of fatty foods, which you do on the way home from the pub.This watch is a life changer it will slowly get you fit and help you kick your bad habbits.Just take it easy,dont injure yourself whilst running and make sure you have good running shoes.Search on Amazon for the best customer reviews,dont buy cheap shoes.Read a lot on the net and plan your training.Google Garmin Forerunner220 gps for more info.
on 28 January 2014
I love running alone but would sometimes find it difficult to get motivated to do a run. This watch changed all of that. I use it's marathon training plan which gives you a calendar of events to stick to. This doesn't just include running but cross training, swimming, pilates, yoga etc.

I find myself at the mercy of the watch, if there's a run today on the calendar, I have to do it, I can't let the watch down. This may sound weird but it's me the world of good.

The GPS function is brilliant even to the point that you can see which side of the road you were running on.

Another perk are the medals (and a celebratory jingle) you get at the end of a run if you've achieved a personal best time or distance.

The first time you try to get a satellite signal can take about 5 minutes but all other connections since (in my case) have been within a minute or two.

The interface is great and the online interface is great too.

Although pricier than some other models I have to say I'm getting more out of the watch than I was expecting so I'd recommend it to anyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 July 2015
I initially purchases the Garmin 620 and once it arrived, I never got that feeling that you get with a brand-new 'toy.' It just didn't feel right with me. I set the 620 up and wore it for a bit to try and grow into it, but honestly, the touch-screen was a bit too much for me. I just didn't like the touch-screen aspect at all. Being a serious runner, I wanted a watch that gave me a lot, and the 620 was a bit too much i suppose. Although it has the race predictor and VO2 Max calculator, how can you be sure that its reliable?! I'm not saying don't buy it as it is an incredible GPS watch. If it didn't have the touch-screen and only the buttons, i would've probably kept it. If touch screen is your thing, then yes, buy it. So i sent it back and purchased (what i should have at the beginning) the FR220. It is an absolute bargain with the price. Awesome watch. Its basically the 620 without the touch-screen and wifi (and vo2 etc.) The 220 has a very simple user interface and at the price, it is an unbelievable bargain considering it is such a high-tech GPS watch. You can download your workout and/or calendar onto the device, and the bluetooth aspect also makes it much easier to upload runs onto Garmin Connect. The Garmin 220 is a must-have for all runners, especially at this price.
on 17 July 2015
I'm not a runner that's wild about statistics and tracking, and neither do I like faffing about with technology, but I've been looking for a running watch for a while so that I don't have to sit down with GMaps Pedometer after every new run and figure out how far I've run.

I considered the cheaper Suunto, but after much review reading, chose the Forerunner 220.

Simply put, it's brilliant - just the job at the right price. Three button presses (and sometimes a minute or two's wait) and it's ready to go. After the run, a quick sync via the cable or the mobile app, and my route is displayed on the map on Garmin's website with more data than I'm interested in.

Like other reviewers, I've found that it's usable right out of the box with no tweaking - brilliant. But there are also some neat features - I particularly like the ability to create workouts on the website, and then sync them with the watch. Much better than trying to remember how many minutes to run at what pace before a recovery. I have adjusted the data that's displayed - a simple process on the watch itself.

In summary, I'm really pleased with this simple, effective, fantastic piece of technology (I'm stunned they can cram so much into such a little device) and wish I'd bought it sooner.
on 16 May 2015
I love this watch! I considered the FR 10 or 15 but after reading countless reviews I decided to splash out, and I'm so glad I did!
I haven't explored every feature yet but it's already a massive upgrade from my phone and the Nike+ app.
It buzzes after each mile to show my pace, meaning I'm enjoying the run instead of staring at the watch! It's bright, clear and comfortable (even on my tiny skinny wrists!)
It connects easily with my phone, the app and the website and is really easy to use.
on 26 January 2014
This is my second Garmin gps (previously owned 610).
I took a long time to decide whether to buy either the updated 610 (620). Or this gps.
The functionality of the 220 is pretty much the same as the old 610 without the touch screen and virtual partner(which I didn't use anyway). I really liked the touch screen of 610, but decided I couldn't justify the extra £70 for 620, so opted for 220.

I have to say, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. The screens are set up exactly as I would need. I haven't touched anything.
Screen 1 timer, pace and distance. Screen 2 lap time, pace and distance. It automatically pauses if I stop and goes again when I get going again. I know you can set the watch to be as you want it, but it's nice that I don't need to mess around with it.
I generally download to the computer to analyse pace etc, and all of this is pretty easy, once software installed.

Love the girlie colour, so nice to have something a bit more feminine after the bulky black 610.
The reason I had to upgrade from the 610, is because the strap broke because my wrist are only small(I suspect). I don't think I will have this problem with the new watch as the strap is really soft and flexible. The watch itself is so light compared to others, and I never have to wait for gps to connect to satalites. I press the button and off I go.

Another thing that is really good, the charge seems to last for ages. When charging the watch fits into the charger cradle really securely(in fact you could swing it around and it wouldn't full out). This is also used as the usb to plug into computer.

I have been using for about 3 weeks now, and haven't get found anything to dislike. Will update here if I do.

btw I ordered via Amazon from SimplyRun. The watch did take about a week to arrive despite it saying 2 days on website. So bare this in mind when ordering
on 21 April 2015
I had this watch for approx a year & it's just clunked out, wouldn't charge, simply displaying 100 % when attaching to the charger, but as soon as i took it off the battery would go dead within a minute. Also when it was working, i had to reformat it every so often for the gps to work. I'm gutted this watch only lasted a year, as it's expensive, i'd seriously reconsider buying Garmin products again.
on 12 May 2015
Brilliant watch. Never been sure if i should spend the money on these or were they just a gimmick, but now after using for a month i would never be without it. Easy to set up and use with the tracking device being very usefull and great to follow. I would highly recommend this to anyone form beginners to experienced runners
on 19 July 2015
I purchased this as a replacment for a FR305 which had packed in.
Things I like
1. Compact compared with the 305 and I use it as my day to day watch
2. Bluetooth to my phone- Garmin Connect and gets passed to STRAVA.
3. Nice comfortable strap
Things I miss
1. Not having a cycle mode, everything get sent to Garmin as a run.
2. Because everything is a run the running records it holds get updated when I go for a cycle e.g. my longest run is 34 km which was a cycle ride.
3. I miss virtual partner, I can no longer try to beat my best Parkrun by keeping up with my fastest previous run.
Overall good for basic running but not for multisport or running extras
I should have bought a 610,620 or 310.
(Oh one other thing is that colour is waste of time)