Size: One Size|Change

on 28 April 2012
Beware the Etrex mount listed elsewhere does not fit the Etrex 10/20/30, so you need this one.

It fits nice & securely on the stem and my Etrex is locked tightly even mountain biking, so this is a great mount.

I didn't give this five stars as trying to get my Etrex off the mount was a nightmare! I looked at it carefully and when locked in, the top of the mount is touching the Etrex body and unclipping it, makes it touch more. I got around this by filing the ends of the runners to make them a little thinner, just at the end (top of Etrex) and now it is easy to remove, yet still just as secure.

I assume the reason for needing to do this is because this mount is not designed for the Etrex, but I guess it has the same battery cover.

Oh finally, when fitting this mount to your Etrex, whatever you do, make sure the battery cover screw is locked in the closed position, else you'll be swearing, believe me!!!
on 19 September 2012
It works in principle, but... This is the only handlebar mount listed as compatible with GPSMap 62, so I kinda didn't have a choice, and bought it. What do I get for my ten (used to be thirteen) pounds? A piece of flimsy plastic worth about ten pence and four cable ties. Ah c'mon Garmin people, SERIOUSLY? It's bad enough that official maps cost as much as the unit itself, but charging a tenner for THIS?
In fairness, the description on Amazon is accurate and I knew what it would look like - but again, does Garmin give me a choice?

Besides, I don't know what bright engineering mind decided that cable ties are good fastening for a high vibration application. No matter how tight I pull them, the GPS still moves gradually and has to be re-positioned every so often. Taking the unit out of the mount takes a relatively noticeable effort, too, and the mount moves again.

So I don't know. For three quid it would be a star buy, but for the asking price - meh.
on 23 July 2009
A simple design and works very well, is light and simple to install and use. It is possible to adjust the angle while cycling - needed due to the poor screen readability in bright light with the Oregon.

The only down side is the very high cost for a small and simple bit of plastic that I guess only cost a few pennies to make. Its a shame Garmin does not just bundle this with each Oregon (which are not cheap or budget end devices) and make the customers happy with Garmin rather than extracting a massive profit on every small optional extra.
on 15 July 2010
Does what it says, though expensive.

It works OK, except the back battery compartment cover of the garmin unit, that clips onto the mount, endures a massive amount of stress in normal use. The battery cover of mine is showing signs of slowly loosening its originally very secure fit to the unit's body, so not sure how long the unit will survive with prolonged road-riding (or is that pot-hole riding).

I have tried to limit the loosening from road vibrations by wrapping the unit/cover with elastic bands! I doubt garmin will repair the unit under guarantee if the battery cover breaks as a result of rough roads.
on 4 January 2011
The first thing that struck me when i took the mount from its package was just how little there is of it. As viewable in the product image, it really is a very small piece of plastic for such a valuable item as a GPS unit.

At first i was nervous of using it, but the weeks of trial its had so far have put my mind at rest. An example of excellent design and engineering my Dakota (mount also compatible with the Colorado and Oregon) clips straight on sitting on top of the mount with no lateral play or rattling. So firm is its grip it took me a worrying few minutes to work out that to remove the GPS, you just have to push the bottom of the mount downwards and slide the GPS back up, a process so easy you can do it with one hand.

I have it attached to a folding bike with small wheels and no shock absorbers, so it does take some fair pounding at times over potholes, cobbles and curbs with no complaints. The mount fixes with grip-ties which thankfully fit to any tube - my folder has very small tubes and i have experienced issues fitting bike lights to the frame but i had no such trouble here. The foot of the unit is square, with rounded tube indentations to fit snug. At about 3cm a side, I'd say that it would likely fit tight to square tubing larger than that, and smaller at an angle due to the indentations for round tubes.

Although costly for the small item it is, its design is sound it does its job well.
on 1 November 2012
Bought this for my ETREX 20 after looking up the Garmin website to see what mount i needed. i originally had bought the ETREX Handlebar mount from Amazon and had to return it as its made for older ETREX models and didn't fit my model. This fits the ETREX *0 series perfectly and is highly recommended if you are looking for a secure mount for your bicycle.
on 6 May 2011
This holder seems to be the only one available for my Dakota 20 and yet it is poorly designed although it works. You attach the holder/bracket to the bike handlebar using two plastic ties (four are included). This is the only mount that I have ever used utilising plastic ties; Not exactly a safe way to secure a gizmo worth over £200 to a moving bicycle! Once you attach the bracket the only way to use it on another bike is to cut the ties and use new ties. This is a design flaw! I have two bikes and I sometimes would like my wife to use my GPS. That means I'll have to spend more cash when I should be able to simply move the mount from bike to bike. Using the bracket works in the short term (i.e. feels secure) but of course the ties get loose with time and will need tightening; Not an easy task if you've cut the ties short (which you'd need to if you don't want long tails hanging off your handlebar). And for what you get - which is not much - it is seriously overpriced. A classic case of paying 'over the odds' for an item because there's no other choice!
on 13 May 2014
Garmin Bike Mount for Colorado and Oregon

Reason for two stars: Expensive, far too tight and needs modification to be usable.

The packaging says: Colorado series, Oregon series, Approach G5, G3, etrex 10,20, 30 Rino 610, 650, 655t, Dakota series, GPSMAP 62 series.

The Garmin website says for this handlebar mount: 'Take your compatible outdoor device to the streets or the trail for fitness use. Just snap your device into this bike mount and you're ready to ride. The mount comes with 4 cable ties.' - I would say this was written by somebody who hasn't used this mount out of the box with a Garmin GPS. It just isn't that easy, unless modified.

Fits Etrex 20 – but only just, incredibly tight. I can only assume the tightness extends to other Garmin GPS units. See below for cure.

Caution! This item as currently shipped, needs modification to be usable. My two examples were both incredibly tight out of the box, verging upon the completely unusable. I can envisage that some people will be either unable to get this item onto the GPS, or once having done so, be unable to get it off again!

I bought two, so far I have only used one and it was a devil to attach to my Etrex 20 and even harder / impossible to get off without a tool (the wooden block). I had to modify the mount with the file on my Swiss Army penknife so that I can get it on and off the GPS without too much effort. While it comes in Garmin packaging, it isn't made to the same standard as the Garmin 'Carabiner Clip for Handheld GPS', which I also possess, although that too was too tight on my Etrex 20.
I have yet to attach this to my bikes, but I have little doubt that it will be secure, that is provided one tightens the cable-ties sufficiently and the retaining / security clip on the mount needs to be engaged in the corresponding notch on the back of the GPS.

Tools required:
Wooden block, edge of scruffy table, workbench or desk, (don't try this on any nice furniture). - To get the damn thing on and off! I suggest that anyone with compromised upper-body strength do not buy this, otherwise engage the assistance of a strong helper. I suspect most women would be well advised to ask their husband, brother or male-friend to help. I'm not being sexist, I don’t believe most women are strong-enough. If you're a woman and in the Royal Marines, then you won't need any male help.
If one has reduced visual accommodation, a hand-lens may be essential, as would be a torch.
Swiss Army knife with file. The file on this knife is slightly flexible allowing it to conform to the curves, which is important. (but don't bend the file – snap!)
Talcum-powder may be useful (it is a solid lubricant)
Remember that in-order to remove the GPS from the mount, the retaining / security clip on the mount needs to be disengaged from the the corresponding notch on the back of the GPS,.

Modification process
First of all, one needs to acquaint oneself with how the mount should fit to the GPS.
This picture shows the GPS partially inserted into the mount (note the battery compartment locking ring is in the WRONG position, see manual)
[...]
Note: This is an iterative process. That means one needs to fit it (at least partially), remove it, identify the high-spots and file them off. High-spots will show-up as shiny spots against the matt of a filed surface.
Repeat again and again as necessary. Stop when the degree of fit is snug and not too tight.
I didn't time this, but I suspect that it took me around half an hour to get it to a usable state. YMMV.

On the Etrex, the mount obstructs access to the battery cover and hence the battery compartment, if one cannot remove the GPS from the mount, the batteries cannot be changed.
on 12 August 2012
I have two of these mounts, one for each of my two bikes (an MTB and a Road Bike). In both cases they are mounted to the stem rather than the bar. In both cases, I've had cases where the GPS unit has shaken itself loose on downhill sections (there is a video on YouTube of a reviewer who suffered the same issue). The problem appears to be that the mount only clips into a relatively shallow indent in the base of the battery cover. With vibration, and a bit of wear, this can work free on bumpy roads going downhill. In the case of the road bike, this has happened half a dozen times in a few tens of miles. Fortunately, I always take the precaution of looping the GPS unit through the lanyard and the stem bar or I might have lost it completely (I also put a knot into the lanyard to create a shorter loop so should the GPS drop off it doesnt hit the wheel).

I hope I've now fixed the issue by gluing a tyre patch near the top of the mount to dampen out the vibration (and the signs look promising so far).

Another thing to note is the cable ties are only just sufficient and I've found loosen as they stretch. It's best to not cut them off too short so that can be retightened using a pair of pliers.

1) it's usable, but it's got major design issues (not least of which is the GPS vibrating free).

2) always loop the GPS unit through the lanyard and the bars so if it drops off you don't lose it.

3) I'd recommend buying the neoprene cover as when if it does come loose, it will get heavily knocked.

4) if vibration loosening is an issue, consider gluing a tyre patch to dampen it down.

There's a scathing review of (a slightly earlier) version of this mount on YouTube where the cyclist in question lost the unit (and, of course, its maps).
on 31 October 2012
Although it's described as for Colorado and Oregon, it also fits the new eTrex range (I have an eTrex 30). I'd prefer a screw clamp to plastic ties, like the bracket for the previous generation of eTrex, but on the plus side, the GPS unit doesn't need an adaptor clip which could and did work loose.