on 2 June 2011
Very good book if you like to know about the behaviour of your garden birds. Has all the usual information to help with identification plus information on what aspects of each bird's behaviour make it special. Keep it by your window!
on 19 May 2014
This book has added depth to my birdwatching. I am new to this hobby (18 months) so it may not be appropriate for more established birders. Whilst not a comprehensive guide book for all the birds in Britain, there are excellent descriptions with photographs of the garden birds and more besides. 60 species are covered including cuckoo, tawny owls, pied wagtail, field fare, flycatchers, tree creepers etc ( a few of the many I haven't seen in my garden,)
In addition to a species description which includes the identification, shape and character, voice, habitual, feeding, breeding, migration and abundance; each species has a 'confidential report' which has a host of revelations about the species. For example Couzens mentions that blue tits have plumage in the cap/crest in the uv spectrum, upon which females select males.(So while to us humans, there is no difference between male and females blue tits, to birds with uv vision, blue tits are sexually dimorphic- helps me understand how birds recognise individuals!). I've learnt that while jackdaws are monogamous (and the reason why) and that the genetic make up of chicks in rookeries is any bodies guess. I could go on and on ....
Before the book, birds were visually aesthetic and interesting to watch.
Now, I look at them in a different light understanding what they do and why, and their little secrets. This book has enriched my birdwatching. Thank you Dominic Couzens
on 8 June 2012
This book is very informative in the usual way about each species but also offers excellent little gems for each one as well. My husband and I have been intrigued by some of these and we feel the book has augmented our knowledge with some delightfully quirky info. There are beautiful illustrations too.
on 6 January 2013
I bought two copies of this book to give as Christmas presents; both recipients were thrilled with their gift. The photos and drawings are delightful; it's the sort of book that you will keep to hand in order to refer to it while watching the birds in your garden. Perfect for bird lovers everywhere.A very good buy.
on 19 September 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It is well laid out and well thought out and contains lots of facts. I have been watching birds for nearly 60 years and there were some facts in this excellent book that I didn't know. Thank you Mr Couzens, keep the books coming.
on 30 March 2016
Superb book, full of excellent photographs drawings and details. Purchased for my seven year old granddaughter so some of the information contained will possibly lead to awkward questions for her parents if she reads all the text. Would suggest that the 'sex information' is the only thing to take into consideration if you are looking to purchase this for children, it is not graphic but it seems some birds do have some strange behaviour on this front.
on 24 January 2013
This is a table-top treat for garden bird lovers! It has excellent pictures, with the birds shown in the context of their environment, and juicy tit-bits of information not normally found in spotters' guides.
on 8 November 2014
Bought as a present for my husband and he loves it. Great pictures and lovely narrative. A perfect gift.
on 11 March 2016
same book as below only different cover would not have bought it if i had known that
on 6 July 2015