Game Character Modeling and Animation with 3ds Max
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£21.34+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 1 February 2008
Firstly the orthographic drawings were really badly drawn and showed little to no understanding of basic anatomy. I really can't see it being intentionally drawn badly as that wouldn't really help anyone. Unless its the author's way of forcing the reader to draw their own, which he succeeded doing in my case.

The modelling technique outlined in the book really seemed quite unnatural and judging by the resulting images in the book, doesn't yield great results. It looks blocky, very messy and seems to take quite a bit longer than some of the more common techniques. I was also a little concerned about the lack of documention on deformation too, which is important considering the model is going to be animated.

The next section of the book covered unwrapping. Unfortunately it was also quite badly done and also lacked any real depth.

I only really glanced through the texturing part of the book because I was getting fed up at this point, but from what I saw of it, it didn't seem all that great. I can't really comment on the UT2004 section of the book as I had no interest in it.

All in all, I really wanted to give this book a chance but it seemed to just get worse the more I progressed with it. I quickly found myself referring to other sources for guidance. For a book aimed at a novice, I'd advise anyone new to character modeling to refer to other sources instead, as the methods outlined here are dated and inferior.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 23 October 2007
This book is a great guide to the process involved in developing a character for a modern day video game. It details each of the main steps involved, providing the reader with a complete and well presented account of character conception, modelling, texturing, rigging and delpoyment in a working game engine.

Furthermore the DVD which accompanies the text provides further support in terms of exercise files, demo software etc. The author is fluent in his use of technical language yet the text remains easy to understand and follow. The pacing is just right starting with the fundamentals and working through to incorporating the finished model into the Unreal engine.

The one criticism I would have of the text is that the actual model isn't completely realistic but this is so that anyone who intends using the book can successful implement the design. All of the key priciples are addressed but further artistic development may be required from those serious about character development.

In saying that I have yet to find a better text that covers all aspects like this.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again