on 3 March 2006
Prepare to have your viewpoint altered if you read this book.
Although in America, where I live, I can attest to the sort of blackout of information on the Middle East situation that the author exposes; I can only guess the situation in the U.K. which I imagine is to some degree similar but not quite so acute.
This book is an absolute must to get a better understanding of the Israel / Palestine conflict. The author was Russian-born to Jewish parents who moved to Israel when he was young. He served in the Israeli Army during the Six-Day War. Over time he came to understand what was going on in his adoptive country. The story is almost too much to believe, but Shamir speaks with authority and with a moral strength few authors writing on any subject can muster.
By reading this book you will learn many things about America, about Palestine, about Israel, about Zionism, about the illusions American Jews have about Israel, and you will come to realize that the Palestinians are people just like any other, and you will come to love them.
on 26 November 2012
I should have read the sample chapters before buying this I was expecting a wild flower book. It is however a political book. What I have read of it, it looks interesting but if you are wanting to know whether purple anemones grow in the region I doubt if you will find the answer here. It would have been useful to have a more appropriate title.