Format: Blu-rayChange

on 15 April 2008
This blu-ray disc is simply stunning. It appears more of the footage is in HD than on Planet Earth and it shows. Some of the underwater footage, the resolution and the colour takes your breath away. An absolute bargain for 150 minutes of wonder - well done BBC.
I find nature documentaries to be, by far, the best use of high-definition video. Galapagos is no exception, there's plenty of high-definition footage of one of the most remarkable places on the planet.

The series is curiously written - almost as if it struggles to find a way to cover everything that's so amazing about the Galapagos archipelago. The result is a reasonable amount of overlap which would probably not have been too noticeable if you watched it as a scheduled broadcast over several weeks but if you're watching the episodes in a much shorter time-span, the repetition of photography and, to a lesser extent, the narrative is a bit obvious.

Tilda Swinton's voice is a little under-whelming at times, but she delivers the narrative with good pace and a degree of calmness.

All in all, a great series with fantastic filming and stunning images - a wonderful advert for the tourism industry of Galapagos and a great way to almost experience the wonder of the place without going there and doing any more damage to the fragile ecosystem there.
on 6 April 2009
We've just watched this having just returned from a life-changing two weeks cruising and visiting these beautiful, humbling islands.

The DVD is amazing with fabulous narration, gorgeous music and breathtaking camera work. Some may think that aspects are over the top and "fairy-tale" like but this is exactly what the islands are like. Yes there is some repetition but some of the points are so central to understanding this unique place that they warrant reinforcement.

Many people have asked us to describe what the Galapagos are REALLY like. Words and photos dont do them justice. This DVD does a pretty good job. Go buy, sit back, marvel and start planning. Brilliant.
on 13 June 2010
Having seen some of this on TV I am delighted to get the whole series. Wonderfully filmed in amazing detail it is a must for all nature lovers with really rare footage of many unusual species that inhabit these isolated islands.
on 19 March 2008
This Blu Ray Disc , yes all the episodes fit on one disc , is Stunning .
Picture , sound and a very nice Narration , thanks Tilda .
My teenage son , stopped what he was up to and watched this series , he couldnt get over the colours and the picture quality .
I will watch this time and again , I hope you enjoy it as much as we have .
if you have any interest at all in the ISLANDS , BUY IT , Good in DVD , STUNNING IN BLU RAY , STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!
0Comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2008
Brilliant. The photography is first rate, the shows are very well edited and constructed. The narration is in the style of Lord Of The Rings which is a little naff but is so full of amazing facts that it wasn't a bother. The visual imagery is so wonderfully shot and seemles, viewed on a projector, it literally did take my breath away!
on 14 June 2008
A series of three overlapping programmes about the galapogos islands. Visually it's very nice but each episode overlaps, not in repetition but in content. you do for example get to hear about tortoises in three different, but similar ways, also two different kinds of dragons in perhaps 5plus different ways. I fell asleep about 2 hours into it, when I awoke we were on tortoises again. Conclusion visually pretty, content wise an hours video dragged out for two and a half hours.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2010
I'm not a massive fan of the BBC Nature productions - often finding some of them a bit long winded. However, I really am pleased I bought this one. The photography is beautiful in HD and shows off the beauty of the islands themselves in spectacular fashion.

I found the commentary pleasant and interesting but I am a fan of Tilda Swinton so it may be a personal thing.

My only frustration with the series is that it is too short. Three episodes really whet my appetite but I would have liked to have seen even more of the islands and to have gone into greater depth. I'm very tempted to buy the accompanying book in the hope that that will give me a bit more.

All in all, a really enjoyable documentary. If you are a nature documentary lover then I see no reason why you would not love this production. And even if you're not, I'd still recommend that you give it a go.
on 7 November 2009
I can truly say that out of all of the BBC Natural History BD releases that I have bought this is by far the best. Most of the reviews here bar one, comment on how stunning the visuals are, and they really are totally stunning and beautiful. I would confidently say that all of this was shot on HD which makes a big difference. I was disappointed by the visual quality of WILD CHINA because quite a lot of it was clearly standard definition up converted to HD, but Galapagos is the very best that I have seen to date.

A couple of reviewers here moan about the narration by Tilda Swinton, I can't see why? Although I love the idea that it's very Lord of The Rings as suggested by another positive review. The style of narration perfectly suits the incredible imagery. More like this please.
on 31 January 2009
I first saw the Galapagos series on BBC TV and was so impressed that I decided to buy the blu-ray version from Amazon. I have watched it several times and still think it's a wonderful example of how good and informative this type of programme can be. The video and audio are both superb, but unfortunately the sound is stereo only; don't let this put you off though. Tilda Swinton's narration is superb, my wife and I both commented on how much it added to our enjoyment of this disk.