Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 December 2013
I have read reviews of the previous books where some have made comparisons with fsog. This series is nothing like that. It is a love story and an intelligent one, no endless sex scenes and the usual page fillers that you get normally with this type of genre. Putting it in the erotic book category is a mistake. Read it and enjoy the descriptions of Florence and embrace it as a story of love between two characters who have a shared love of Dante and are equals intellectually.
on 31 December 2013
So I've just finished the final book to this trilogy and I'm looking for something positive to say to justify my 4* rating.

Ok here goes....the author obviously knows his stuff about literature and art, or he researched well. His writing flowed and the story was easy to follow. The books have been well edited. He tied up the loose ends nicely and Karma bumped the bad guys. The story was a love story and I did actually feel that there was a genuine love between Gabriel and Julianne. That's where my 4* rating can be justified.

Did I enjoy it? Kind of. Would I read it again? No. Could Gabriel become my book boyfriend? Definitely not!

Part of the problem was it being categorised as Erotica. There was nothing erotic about this book, it was a good old fashioned love story with Mills & Boon sex scenes. You know the type, just when you thought it was getting good.... they woke up in each others arms! If I buy a book classified as Erotica, I expect it to be more graphic.

I felt that I was being lectured throughout the books. If I wanted to know the ins and outs of Dante, then I'd buy a Dante book!! There were far too many pages quoting Dante then explaining Dante.

The author himself has said he talks in an old fashioned way; that might be what floats some people's boat but not mine. It was overkill.

The whole trilogy can best be described as pretentious. If you take out the high brow arty stuff, all you are left with is a nice love story.

I wouldn't recommend this trilogy to others, but if you've already read the first two books then you may as well read the last book.

I am actually quite disappointed with it all as I've followed the hype and was looking forward to reading this and adding to my book boyfriends but it left me feeling cheated.
on 5 December 2013
Gabriel's Redemption (Gabriel's Inferno #3) by Sylvain Reynard
4.5 stars!!

"Charity is a great virtue, and so is faith. But hope means the most to me. This is hope."

To say that I have been eagerly awaiting this book is a massive understatement...It seems like I have waited FOR-EV-ER...So once I could, I opened it up and dived right in!

It was great to see Julia and Gabriel working their way through married life, they have come on so far since Gabriel's Inferno. Gabriel is now a professor at Boston University and Julia is studying for her PhD at Harvard. If I am being honest, not much really happens as in storyline and plot, well nothing majorly dramatic, but we are treated to the beautiful writing of Sylvain Reynard as he takes us through a period of their marriage.

Gabriel has a lot of demons to fight in this book. He finds that he is being held back by certain elements of his past and he finally decides that he needs to put these to rest so that he can give 100% to his life and marriage, some of these he feels the need to fight alone.

"You tell me that I'm safe in your bed. But I want you to know that you're free in mine. All the baggage, all the things from our past, they don't matter here."

There is no debating at all throughout this book how well these two are suited. They are actually perfect for each other. They have now been together 8 years and are even more in love than ever and this radiates from the pages. Through Sylvain's writing, you feel it, you are enveloped by it and you are drawn into their life. Their emotional connection is intense and their physical connection is just off the charts!!

"So how good was the sex we just had? On a scale of one to transcendent?"
"Earth-shattering and tie forgetting."
Smugly, she reapplied her lipstick.
"Don't you forget it."

These two have a very healthy sex life and let me say, they are not shy about where they do it either!!

"(Desk sex can be very, very good, but it's important to remove the staplers first.)"
"(It must be said that superhero kitchen table sex was an even better domestic coupling than regular kitchen table sex.)"

Yes there are a lot of parentheses in this book...the majority of which are hilarious and you can see Gabriel's sense of humour coming through. I actually loved reading these.

You are always going to have the people that are jealous and are trying to prise them apart...

"I've loved him since I was seventeen. I love all of him - the light and the dark, the good and the bad. That's why he's with me. He left the others behind and he will never go back. So do your worst, *****. But if you're planning to seduce my husband, you-will-fail."

But they are so strong as a unit, the haters, they don't stand a chance. That is what I absolutely adore about these two, no matter what life chucks at them they get through it, together, they stand side by side, a force to be reckoned with, they support each other, they defend each other and they love each other UNCONDITIONALLY.

Julia really matures in this book too, she gives as good as she gets and is determined not to be overshadowed by Gabriel in a professional capacity, even so far as a paper she delivers totally contradicts one already published by Gabriel. She becomes a lot more independent and self-focused. This does lead to discussions surrounding family and children etc but these two talk it out. The sacrifices that Gabriel is prepared to make only goes to show just how committed he is.

In summary this book is a journey of love for Gabriel and Julia, the longer the journey takes, the stronger they get and the deeper they fall. They may not agree all the time, but between them they get through it, when surprises happen, together they can deal, as long as they have each other, that is all that matters.

I must admit I am sad to see the end of these two, it is the end of an era and one of the best teacher/student series I have read. As usual, perfectly written and a joy for any romance reader to devour. With all loose ends tied and the i's dotted and t's crossed it is with a heavy heart I bid goodbye. I am so glad they got their HEA, after all they deserved it. Gabriel and Julia you will be missed, hope you all enjoy your date with "The Sexy Professor" as much as I did.
on 25 January 2014
For me, this novel was not as good as the previous two. I think perhaps the author had run out of ideas, but felt some sort of 'conclusion' was needed, because that is what this book felt like.

The characters began to grate on me. Could someone really put up with a man like Gabriel? So controlling and obsessed with Julianne - one would feel 'suffocated', being told what to do, what to wear, where to buy clothes - it was almost as though they were in a mentally abusive relationship.

The constant reference to designer labels was boring - I really hate it when I come across this in a book. What's the point of it, and it seemed at odds with Julianne's character. Who cares about the brand of a fountain pen or a pair of shoes?

Also, I found all the sub-stories boring. I was pleased that Paul could move on, but all the family saga stuff was tedious.

Rather disappointing all in all.
on 7 December 2013
I'm not going to write in depth about all the characters (that's already been done) in this excellent well written novel but I'm going to try and give a taste of an excellent read.

This novel continues the journey of Professor Gabriel Emerson and Julianne from novels Gabriel's Inferno and Gabriel's Rapture. To fully appreciate Gabriel's Redemption it's a good idea to read the previous two novels but it's not necessary.

GR is set in the world of academia particularly the specialism of Dante. Gabriel is a professor and Julianne (his wife) a brilliant a PhD student at Harvard. It is their love story.

They are adjusting to married life coping with their careers and the emotional roll a coaster entailed in married life.
Here the reader starts to experience the author's writing talent of totally captivating and engaging the reader in all the characters lives and personalities to such a extent that the reader feels their individual emotions of sadness, happiness and hurt.
Past internal demons that try and reemerge are put to rest with kindness, love and forgiveness. A particular ability of Julianne.
Be prepared to share the author's unique writing talent on making the reader feel happiness, sadness but above all kindness and forgiveness. I laughed and shed tears during the characters life's journey that twisted and turned with happiness, sadness and fulfilment.

Academia is not forgotten with quotes and explanations on Dante's writing threaded through the novel. In fact quotes from many sources are intermingled through out. An added quality to the novel.

The setting of the novel are an added bonus. Harvard, Boston, Oxford (England), Florence.

This novel will be a hard act to follow.

If you like being immersed in an emotional sea with literally quotes then this is for you.
Recommended. Not to be missed.
on 27 January 2014
I am very disappointed in this book. There really was no need for a trilogy. I kept waiting for the story or something to happen but it went nowhere. This book would never have stood alone and it really was just tying up some scraggly ends from the other books. I had just read the first two books again and really enjoyed them even if they were light on plot. Not as sexy,or pulse racing as fsog and not as much plot as twilight. A diluted mix of the two. Shame. Save your money.
on 20 February 2014
I have loved all of the books in this series and gave eagerly awaited the release of book number 3. The wait was worth it, it was a beautiful read and I enjoyed reading about the trials and tribulations that Julianne and Gabriel go through in their marriage. Gabriel is so sweet and loving with Julianne, I think I fell in love with him all over again. Julianne has become so strong and confident and the love they share knows no bounds and is so intense and passionate. Both go through the normal marital ups and downs but then some of their past comes back to haunt them both, but they are both each other's rock. Gabriel's demons come back to haunt him and a life changing occurrence makes Julianne look at her life plans. As always this book is beautifully written, connection with the characters is so strong, their story is an emotional roller coaster and you feel every up and down as you read. And it is also a beautiful conclusion for Gabriel and Julianne. I was sad that the book had ended, I miss reading it already. If you haven't read the three books in this series I seriously urge you to as these books are epic, they are at the top of my list of books that I have read and loved.
on 4 March 2015
I enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy and although i found them a harder read than others in the same genre i was eager to read the continuing story in this final part; but for me i was left feeling like i was missing something and wishing i had left it with the second book. There were new twists added that just felt like they weren't really needed and people who were introduced that disappeared without a trace making me feel like i must have missed something, is there to be another book?!! who was the man in the museum!!.
on 27 June 2014
I don't normally write reviews but I left the need to inform potential readers that this trilogy is nothing like 50 shades. I read a lot of erotic and new contemporary romance books, and I came across this trilogy in that genre of books. I have to say it really shouldn't be there. It is an epic romance and an intelligent one at that. There is quite a few love scenes but there just that, if you want more graphic and in-depth love scenes you won't find any in this series. Saying that I did enjoy reading Gabriel and Julianne's story, their love for one another is fierce. It's a very romantic read and sometimes felt a bit drawn out but the story did keep me turning the pages. I would recommend this book if you like a good old fashioned love story.
on 16 January 2014
I was so looking forward to reading this book, the 7 months waiting seemed like forever but finally the day arrived. Now 5 days later and i'm finished and I have to say it fell flat for me. We have the story of Gabriel and Julianne which seemed to be an account of day to day life with only a couple of interesting bits (sorry, i'm not giving anything away) Then theres Christa, some would say she got what she deserved and yes i think she did but it didn't keep me up till 2am reading so I could find out what happened to the nasty bitch. And then theres Paul...Why was he included? I seems to me his was a non story. I think I should have stopped at book 2 ( I can't believe I just said that!).

4 very generous stars.