Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2012
What a lucky find this book was. It dredged up a load of memories.

I worked for this guy's dad at Craiglockhart in the 1970s and he was a real character. He spoke a strong northern lingo and being a city boy it took a while before I figured out what he was instructing me to do. This led to several farcical misunderstandings! He was missing a thumb. I forget which hand.

Ian's writing style is straight from the hip and he doesn't hold back - as I imagine he was as a copper. We could do with more of them around now. Great stories of flying about the streets on bicycles, on foot and in dodgy panda cars after the "neds"!

Some of his narrative is very personal stuff which makes for uncomfortable reading at times.

What I liked was his obvious pride in his achievements along with a ready acknowledgement of his faults. I was sorry that the one type of music Ian doesn't dig is Jazz. I'm sure he'll master it eventually!
on 18 February 2011
Never have a read an autobiography which combined such a mix of sometimes very personal information, plugs for products and rumbustious criticism of people and organisations who have displeased you. I read in three days including one night I couldn't put it down until 2am. A great read.

So many memories for me. I was at that notorious Alan Stivell concert at the Usher Hall and with Davy Steele in the spiral staircase at the Edinburgh Folf Festival Festival Club singing my heart out. I was a sometime visitor to the Police Club and whatever happened to the Buffs Club where I heard Cyril Tawney and Nadia Cattouse. I played that recording Hamish Henderson made of the Corries singing Rivonia in my radio programme just three weeks ago. The Macs CD The Greentrax Years was my selection as best CD of 2010 in my `best of ..' programme recently.

Fuzz to Folk: Trax of My LifeLang may yer lum reek
on 18 February 2011
Ian Green is known as one of the great Gentlemen of the British Folk Scene, and this welcome autobiography gives a unique insight not only into his life, but into the Folk Music Scene itself. The Greentrax label is world renowned for its innovation, vision and commercial honesty, in a sector previously laregely dominated by narrow profit-based ventures or inefficient half-heartedness. This books tells the story not only of the label, but of the soldier, policeman, family man and friend behind it. The style is so well judged and reflects Ian's conversational style so perfectly that you feel you've just had a wonderful evening's chat with the man.
on 23 June 2011
I took this book on holiday and finished it over two days. It is a great read! It is written by a caring, sincere man who has a deep love for his country and its traditional music. He has come on a long journey from his humble roots and has been successful in everything that he has done, both with his previous careers and with Greentrax Recordings.
I am privileged to know him and remember him from both his Police Career and his involvement with the Police Folk Club in Edinburgh, and more recently with his Greentrax business.
He is an honest family man who has done his country a great service by bringing Scots Traditional Music to a wider audience.
Well done Ian, a great life story (so far) and keep up the good work with Greentrax. Scotland is proud of you. Jim
on 18 February 2011
An immensely Enjoyable Read.Well!, I thought I Knew Dr Ian Green .Now I really feel I know him very well and I mean that in the nicest possible way . The stories had me in stitches! Fuzz to Folk gives you a real insight into Ian's Childhood and upbringing which could be a book on its own right . So poignant in parts and also so very very funny.

His Army days were full of great stories and characters experiences of Korea and some horrific tales and honest confessions of some situations he found himself in, to His Romance with June his wife, his heartache having to leave her behind and the happiness as love was rekindled on his return.

The really comical descriptions of some of the criminals he came into contact with in his time in the police force really gives you an great picture of how life was then compared to today and how a good clip around the ear at times for the offender was suffice, unlike today when the police have to be wary as the law seems to be more on the side of the offenders. One persons passion for Folk music and the birth of Greentrax Now "Scotland's favorite and leading record company for folk music in Scotland.The full story of Greentrax and Ian's knowledge of The Scottish Folk Music Scene from many years ago to the present day. The many connections he has made over the world is fascinating .

In ,well chosen words Ian tells it exactly as it was in a language we can all relate to and with such brutal honesty and great humor .I would enjoy this book even if I had no idea who Dr Ian Green was but the fact is, he is a man who has experienced life in many different scenario,s . A man of honesty and integrity. I have even more respect for him having read his life story and I still have fits of the giggles when I think of some of the situations he was in and feel sad for some of the challenges he faced. He has shown the true person behind the Child, The Man,The Soldier the Policeman The managing Director of Greentrax . A wonderful Book which I will treasure and refer back to in years to come . Mary Kathleen Burke
on 3 March 2011
This is one of the most honest, informative and entertaining works I have ever read which tells about the Scottish music industry as well as a man's formative life. Ian Green writes with an honesty that is infrequently found these days. At times heartrending, at times funny, sometimes controversial , sometimes intriguing- but always hugely interesting . I knew Ian Green before this book was published but feel I know him so much better now- his writing is never pretentious but always as if you were sitting next to him in a music session in the Park Bar in Glasgow . Stories of musicians, characters and situations which will surely ring true to so many folk, bringing back memories and emotions to so many people Ian has known and helped over the years.
We get a real insight into the man and his pre-music life, showing us how and why got to where he is now, at the helm of Scottish Music. A read which shows a different world, different times, a more gentle time perhaps, different values.
A real, genuine read, no airs and graces, he says it as it is- a read which deserves to get a wider audience than just those with an interest in Scottish music.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2011
This is remarkable book. Somewhere down the line I seem to have underestimated this man because he has produced an archival document that rivals the best and yet, at the same time, he's managed to conjure up a "bloody good read". I had heard from others that it was a "can't put it down" epic and, by golly, they were right. Originally I stupidly thought that I would be solely interested in the "Folk" part of the book but the direct writing and pin-sharp imagery of his early days in the North, followed by his outrageous army and police adventures, left me spellbound. Well done Mr Green!
on 28 February 2011
A really enjoyable read. The life story of a man who worked hard to achieve his ambitions and an interesting insight into his career and adventures in the Army and the Police Force which ultimately led to his involvement in the music industry. I particularly liked the way the author personalised the book with little comments to people, past and present. I was given this book as a gift and I highly recommend it. Enjoy.
on 13 February 2011
This is an outstanding read, autobiography of an interesting and varied life, honestly told and written in a very readable and straightforward manner. I found it extra special as Ian is a friend and the people and venues in the folk music sections, as well as the areas of the city he mentions in his police days are familiar. Difficult to put down!
on 19 February 2011
You can't measure what this man has done for Scottish music, but you'll get some idea if you look at the Greentrax catalogue, and his various awards. He is held in fond esteem - I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him. He's a gem of a man, and this often hilarious book tells entertainingly of his life so far. A terrific read!