on 10 April 2009
I love this book! I can't recommend it enough. It isn't really a cookbook, although it does contain some lovely recipes. It is a book about eating - how we used to eat, how we eat now and what we are missing.
Anyone who is eats should read this book and revel in the connections between our food, our homes and each other.
on 24 September 2015
I am currently reading through this book. I have been researching food for a very long time, and this book is invaluable. The writer, from her own experiences, takes you through the reasons why the different moons were given their names, the foods in season at the time, and why they should be eaten for health at that time. The nutrients in plants wax and wane with the seasons. What a meat animal eats is very important if it is to benefit our health. She explains in conjunction with these moons, why we should eat only seasonal foods grown or bred within our local area. This is the only book I have come across that talks about the moon and seasonal food. This book, for me, is a must have, as it fills in many gaps of understanding why we should eat local and only in season.
on 28 May 2015
An absolutely inspiring book that takes the whole idea of seasonal understanding to a different level. Well- researched and heartfelt, the book is a clear statement of how we can begin to detach ourselves from the current paradigm of consumerism, greed and exploitation and fix what we have broken. Here's a clue - start with reviewing your food choices.