We are off on a New England trip shortly so needed a comprehensive review guide of the area. Recently I took the liberty of going into WH Smiths and going down their line of New England guides - Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, DK, Fodors etc and my verdict was that this was the best on offer. My methodology was to look up several places in the area I am quite familiar with and to check the accuracy and coverage.

Frommers came out on top as it is very comprehensive and as a result long - 660 pages plus. It covered all the places I would have expected and a lot more besides. For the places I knew, it described their main attractions sufficiently for it to point you in the right direction for a visit. It did suffer from the drawback of most of this type of guide ie there was limited coverage of places to stay for each location. I thought everyone headed straight over to Tripadvisor for this info these days! Also the places to eat listed were extremely limited by space restraints and, in my opinion, did not necessarily cover the best value and quality dining. However, again that is almost a universal drawback of this kind of guide.

If you are visiting a new area, this sort of guide is a must have. Even if you have visited before there is a lot you are likely to have missed. However, if the area you are visiting is limited geographically eg Boston, then you will really do better to get a specialist city guide. For a general guide of New England I do think Frommers has the edge over the others though.
on 20 December 2010
I bought this book with the intention of planning a fly-drive holiday to New England and that is exactly what I am doing, now with Frommer's help. Not really knowing the area I am working my way through the book in conjunction with planning a driving route, finding potential places to visit and stay. The chapters are easy to read and informative and the maps are clear and concise. The only very small gripe is that a few colour pictures would be nice, to help visualise what is being described and break up the text. A good buy and will be a holiday companion for a future trip
on 9 January 2010
Used in conjunction with the internet this guide was used as a very accessible and comprehensive reference work from which a three week motoring vacation in the fall was planned. As always, the more background research you do the better - or be prepared for example, to sit in a four hour traffic jam in Concorde on St. Columbus day!
on 19 December 2013
As I always say when reviewing a Frommer's guide, they are the only ones we use for America & Canada, as they are so well written & extensive in scope..