on 27 September 2000
From Head To Toe is an action book where the audience is asked to imitate the actions of some animals by telling them action the animal might do - for example, 'I am an elephant and I stomp my foot' - then asking the same question throughout 'can you do it?'. Our 19 month old son, Oscar, surprised us by being able to do all of the actions, including some we wouldn't have even thought of asking him to do, such as wiggling his toes! This was one of the first books apart from lift-the-flap books that kept his attention throughout because he was actively involved in the book and as an added bonus was excellent for teaching him more parts of the body. Beautifully illustrated in a similar way to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Oscar also loved the colourful and amusingly drawn animals. When Oscar was asked to choose a book this was always the first off the bookshelf and we enjoyed doing the actions almost as much as he did! We initially had this book on loan from the library and loved it so much we had to buy it!
0Comment95 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2008
My daughter (now 20 months) absolutely loves this and has done since she was about one. She quickly learned all yhe actions, long before she could talk, and still if you mention a giraffe or a penguin in conversation (as you do) instantly inclines or turns her head as the animal requires. It's just the best
This is a very exuberant book, as children are asked whether they can move like one of the animals on the page. Probably not best for bedtime, but it is a joyous read, with lots of movement and participation. As always, the illustations are perfect and it is great fun for toddlers. You can always trust Eric Carle to get some learning in alongside the story, so toddlers will learn the names of body parts while they are having fun.
on 15 June 2009
A brilliant book for learning about parts of the body and getting your little one moving. Lovely illustrations, too.
on 28 October 2011
Wow, what a fantastic book. Illustrated in a way only Eric Carle can this book really captures toddlers imaginations and teaches them new movements.

When we 1st bought this our 16 month old son could clap, stomp, kick and wave but he looked at us like we were mad when we asked him to bend his neck like a giraffe or arch his back like a cat etc but by looking at the pictures of the children in this book he was doing every action in no time. He really has gained a lot from this book.

This is now a firm favourite, along with Brown Bear and the Hungry Caterpillar.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 September 2013
Ever since we came across "Brown Bear" we've become huge fans of Eric Carle's wonderful and deceptively simple illustrated children's books. Now we are well on our way to owning all of his works, and would certainly recommend these educational and quirky books to all parents. However, it's also clear that none of his other books have lived up to the charm of "Brown Bear." This is certainly true of "From Head to Toe." There is no attempt at rhyming in here whatsoever, and reading can feel a bit drab and repetitive as a consequence. Nonetheless, this is still a pretty good children's board book in its own right.

The book is ideally suited for older toddlers (three or four year olds would be my best estimate), but younger and older kids will certainly enjoy it as well. Through a series of parallel and complementary pictures and actions by humans and their animal friends children can easily learn about parts of the body. It's a very carefree and fun educational book, and it has a lot going for it.
on 10 May 2011
My 20 month old loves this book and it is a favourite at storytime. It didn't take many reads for him to be thumping his chest like the gorilla, turning his head like the penguin, etc. It's fun for parents too to act out the actions of the animals. This title goes well with 'Brown Bear' and 'Polar Bear'.
on 9 November 2010
I am thrilled that this book is so big as it's great for small and large crowds of kids who can see the pictures well and can then really get involved. Repetition is the key and kids love the excitement of learning so fast and being able to shout out "I can do it". I collect TY Beanie Babies and have a huge collection of animals, many of which match those by Eric Carle. In this book, the parrot, camel, gorilla, seal, buffalo, giraffe and penguin are amongst his characters. I use his books to teach French and it's great to just write the translation on each page, in a different colour. The words are fairly simple and repetitious and so books like this one are brilliant for fast learning. Fantastique :o)
on 16 December 2012
I use this book for teaching second languages;not only for teaching English to Japanese children but also for teaching Japanese to foreign students. This book is very good because there are many refrains and nice pictures which help my students to remember whole phrases easily and understand the story without any writing scripts. My students read it with pleasure even though they are'nt children anymore. I recommend you other "Eric Carle" picture books,too.
on 1 May 2012
I teach English to all of the classes in my daughter's school in France - that's from ages 3 to 11 - and this book is a useful and fun way to teach actions, parts of the body and animals. The only page I omit is 'kick like a donkey' because it's not practical in a small area with excited children! Children of all ages like doing the actions and the older ones can remember the vocabulary.