on 22 February 2011
Having had lessons in Alexander Technique from the author Noel Kingsley I was confident that the text would be a very helpful guide to the technique and to avoiding back pain, but when I received my copy I was delighted not only to find my confidence justified, but also to be thoroughly impressed with the clarity of the presentation.

Excellent photos and illustrations accompany the clear text and ensure that both the logic of Alexander Technique and the practical exercises are easy-to-follow even for those not well versed in the subject.

In summary, I thoroughly recommend the book to all those who are keen to avoid back pain, whether or not they are already familiar with Alexander Technique.
on 6 February 2011
Noel Kingsley's book is the first truly comprehensive and accessible book about the Technique that I have seen. It really brings home the fact that the Alexander Technique is for life, for every day and for everyone, not some weird inaccessible discipline used by actors. The photos are great, and show clearly how easy it is to put unnecessary pressure on the muscles and skeleton just by doing something as simple as picking up the shopping. A must for anyone who's always wondered about the Alexander Technique and whether it's for them.
on 25 May 2011
Although the book had excellent reviews and is quite interesting, it did not seem to me to tell you much about the 'what to do' part of correcting bad posture. It seems you have to go to an Alexander technique tutor. I can appreciate that it is difficult (as the book says so) but I would have expected a little more help from it in terms of practical tips. I don't think it really lives up to the part of the title that says 'A guide to the Alexander Technique' - unless you condense it down to 'find a tutor' (and spend a lot of money - they all seem to say you need umpteen lessons to get anywhere).
on 4 September 2011
This book is a brilliant introduction to the Alexander Technique and also acts as an aide-memoire for anyone who is already familiar with the technique. I have already given it as a present to friends who suffer from a range of problems which can be helped by understanding the technique. It works because the photos properly illustrate and expand on the text - just one look at the pictures of slumped teenagers and workers straining to look at their screens would be enough to convince anyone that we have to think about how to cope with our modern environment. This book puts the technique in everybody's reach - and I keep it near me all the time.
on 1 March 2016
I have to confess that I haven't yet read this book cover to cover. However, I have read several chapters. I like the book and I'm pleased I bought it. I think it's well written and the diagrams it contains are mostly very clear. Reading the book, the principles it outlines and the approach it promotes all seem very commonsense. The challenge is to put it into practice.

I'm receiving one-to-one instruction from an Alexander teacher, and bought the book to supplement and reinforce that instruction. Whilst the title specifically refers to back pain, the author explains that the principles of Alexander apply to everyone irrespective of what condition if any the reader might suffer from.
on 4 July 2015
A second hand book purchased at an incredibly cheap price; this was in fabulous condition and is a really good practical guide to posture and Alexander Technique for everyone, not just back pain sufferers.
on 12 February 2011
Upon first opening Noel Kingsley's "Free Yourself from Back Pain" I was immediately struck by the fact that this is an "aide memoire" for everyone with a curiosity or interest in the Alexander Technique, from complete newcomers, pupils, those who have had lessons previously, those considering teacher training and current trainee teachers, and indeed teachers. It demystifies the Alexander Technique, bringing its principles into our consciousness and stressing that it provides a "means whereby" we can all achieve that which is indeed "Man's supreme inheritance". The clear photography accompanying the text is excellent.

If I were reading this book for the first time, it would definitely encourage me to take lessons. I have had many lessons with Noel Kingsley and his knowledge and experience of and enthuasiasm for the Alexander Technique are all conveyed in this excellent book.

My discovery of Noel Kingsley's first book "Perfect Poise Pefect Life" led me to have many lessons with him as a pupil and its subtitle, "changing lives", describes how the Alexander Technique continues to help me. This, his second book, will accompany me during the remainder of my teacher training and beyond.
on 25 April 2015
Excellent book with lots of clearly explained 'how to' tips and ideas as well as a more detailed explanation of the Alexander technique and history. Highly recommended to anyone starting out as an accompaniment to your lessons.
on 30 September 2013
This book was recommended by my Alexander Technique teacher. It is very helpful in explaining in more detail the techniques and the reasoning behind them. I find it very helpful to go over the different aspects in between lessons and it has greatly helped my understanding.
on 10 February 2011
Noel Kingsley's book is a breath of fresh air in the sometimes mystifying world of the Alexander Technique. I read this book at one sitting,a testament to its accessibility, but it is equally a book to savour. It is sumptuosly produced, full of practical advice, with every carefully crafted photograph matching the text precisley. Noel writes in a clear, engaging style suited to every reader, whether or not they be acquainted with the Technique. I found it a pleasurabe, inspiring read and it will endure as an aide memoir reminding and encouraging me to look after myself that little bit better.