Sorry, couldn't help that and if I hadn't used that title I'm sure someone else would have.

This book brings back memories of the early 70's when I had long hair and regularly visited a head shop in Newcastle's arcade where I bought my first Grateful Dead t-shirt (Skull & Roses, what else?) and picked up the occasional copy of The Furry Freak Brothers, all long since gone missing.

Along with Crumb's Fritz the Cat, the Freak Bros were the best known characters, and the longest lived, to come out of the underground comics movement of the late 60's. The reason being they were brilliantly written, outrageously funny, perceptive, satirical, scathingly cynical about just about everything, and so on. The detailed distinctive and appealing cartoonish style didn't hurt either.

Now although the core joke is that of the FB's constant search for drugs (followed by sex), the stories themselves ranged widely across all aspects of the counter-culture and the world, music, capitalism, government agencies, revolution, movies, comics, and extreme violence. Oh and let's not forget the Fat Freddy's Cat strip and said cat's constant search for food (preferably live & screaming) and place to use as a toilet (shoes and hats being good). Despite being of their time, the stories remain as fresh and funny as the day they were first published.

Over 600 pages, 224 in colour with covers and posters and other odd stuff, and a brief history of the strip, this is a bargain and a genuine masterpiece of the comic form. This is just great fun from the first to last pages and an essential purchase. It's even better than drugs, man (or so I'm told.)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In the misty seventies I kept stumbling across these anarchic comics, but I was always too busy with work and a new family to search them out. Recently I was pointed towards this bumper book of all of the stories. To my delight it also includes many of the Fat Freddie's Cat footnote strips and several full page FFC stories.

About a third of it is in colour, two blocks of about 110 pages each in the 624. Tucked away at the back is Shelton's history of how he came to create the series, and how over the years he had help from friends in drawing it, and how they often struggled to keep it going.

It is hedonistic fantasy, a drug-fuelled dystopia, a reign of unlawful and rebellious anarchy, heavily shaded by guilt, paranoia, anxiety and craving. And yet we all knew someone who was just like one of the Freak 'brothers', and we all knew a cat just like Fat Freddie's. It is gloriously Politically Incorrect, and has set the standard all other anarchic comics must live up to.

There is one big problem, the format is smaller than the original publications, and some of the printing is too dense making the text tiny and difficult to read even in a good light - I borrowed reading glasses and a magnifier to read parts of it, mainly the early pages.

But it is worth every penny. I expect to be dipping into it again and again.
on 3 January 2009
This is everything I hoped for when ordering this book. It really is every Freak Brothers story. There are even a few that I had not seen before and I thought I had read them all over the years.It brought back lots of memories.
This is a must for any fan and those that like comic book art.
I am certainly not dissapointed.
Highly recommended.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like a lot of people of a certain age and a rock music fan from the 70s when music really was good and if U2 were around at that time would considered 'good' and not mega great I discovered the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

The mags cost around six shillings- that's 30 pence.
The strange thing is the prices kept going up.
Many times the price would have a sticker with a higher price on it stuck in place.
The places where you could get the comics would be 'Head Shops' that would sell Indian Insense, holders clothers and cheap hippy jewelry or those vegan type food shops with all those weird and wonder herbs, spices and meat free burgers and bangers.

The thing was you bought the mags lost em them rebought and lost them again.

I had a good collection but not complete so this book is an absolute mega brilliant discovery.

Every single cartoon strip of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and loads of others including Fat Freddy's Cat is included and a heck of a lot in brilliant colour.

Now the thing that sets these comics apart was they were and are wonderfully drawn and are humorous.
Very. They tell of the alternative and drug fuelled life of three hippies all wonderful characters in their own right and as an added bonus Fat Freddy's Cat that often eclipsed the brilliant of the brother's strips.

Each figure was easy to recognise from Fat Freddy's rotund shape and mutton chop sideburns that merged into a beard.
Freakwheelin' Franklin like a stoned and exiled Hell's Angel with his hat and beard and Phinneus large nose, mustache, glasses and 'genius.

This was a dip into Americana and a drug fueled one at that.

Now some people may say that the comics are a bad influence people copy the antics it makes drugs look 'cool'.
I can say anyone with half a brain and has actually read the antics would understand the converse is true.
These who criticise the comics as being a bad influence are the same loonies that say that say Dennis the Menace in the Beano is a bad influence of children.
If Dennis steals an army tank and flattens the high street children realise that it is a comic and would never emulate his antics.
Any 'do gooder' who thinks the opposite is a candidate for a flat in the Beano themselves!

The antics and mad cap schemes have to be read to be believed Gilbert Shelton was a genius.
No one with half- no make that any neurons in their brain would ever copy them nor make them their role model-- rant over.

Heck it was funny.

Now the great thing is that you can get all the vast number of comics in one place and relive your mispent(?) youth.

And have a brilliant laugh and smile as you do.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I first discovered the Freak Brothers in the mid '80s and always enjoyed their manic adventures and the subtle and not so subtle satire. I owned most of the comics but lent some out and never got them back. I tried to buy some of them again but found that I couldn't get 'The idiots abroad' stories in colour anymore, only black and white. The ones I had lent out were colour so I wasn't happy about that.

Fast forward several years and I discover this omnibus edition so I just had to buy it. All of the original strips are there and all the colour stories are in colour including the idiots abroad. I'm very pleased with this collection and expect to read it several times over.

If you've never read any of the Freek Brothers comics but enjoy adult themed silliness in your comic book stories then you'll enjoy this omnibus.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 June 2009
Reproduction or printing is a little poor in places, with smudged captions and lost detail. Otherwise good value.
on 21 April 2014
Remember being an angry young man? And the rebellion welling up inside. i didn't know then how/where to score weed and still don't - I have no inclination to find out. But isn't the irreverence just as captivating now as it was then - brilliant.

PS - not going to show to my impressionable children for years to come.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As far as I can tell, this book is complete. I'm sure some will point to omissions but every full comic is in there.
The book is a large format paperback and maybe 30% of the cartoons are in colour.
For those of you like me who have lost their original comics long ago, this is the perfect solution.
Some have warned that the sketches are smaller than the originals and that is true, a little smaller but talk of needing a magnifying glass seemed a little exagerated to me at least. All the text is easy to read. Everyones eyes are different I guess but I think most people could put their magnifying glasses away.

I love books where you can just open at any page and start reading and this is one of them.
If you want to relive the Freak brothers in their full glory, this book is for you.
on 9 March 2015
If you're a long established Freak fan or whether you've just discovered our furry friends, you'll love this book.

Not only are these superbly funny, well written and amusing tales, they are superbly illustrated with really fantastic attention to detail. It would be true to say the artwork really is as great as the text.

I think these comic strips are every bit as funny now as when I first discovered them when I was a teenager. There are so many classic lines it has me laughing out loud regularly. The characters - especially Freddy - are hilarious and (to a point) almost believable!

I just bought this as a gift for a friend who is a Freak Brothers virgin, so let's see what he thinks....

WE'RE ABOUT TO ENTER THE FOURTH DIMENSION!
on 20 April 2014
Good value despite the hefty price-tag, this mighty omnibus really does contain every FFFB story you've ever come across, and tons of others, many in scintillating colour. As with many favourite cartoon heroes, there is a sense here of the authors hitting a plateau then gradually declining in originality and verve from about half-way through; but this may reflect the constant impact of illicit drugs (on the authors - Ed). Fat Freddy's Cat, in particular, is, sadly, seen increasingly rarely as the book wears on. But I greatly enjoyed the series of special editions on the glorious excesses and corrupt practices of Ripoff Press Inc. Perfect.

Buy; put in the loo or by your bedside; and enjoy; and enjoy; and enjoy.