on 21 April 2013
Make no mistake, this is a nifty five-star item, and this review should be read along side other favourable reviews. Addicts and aficionados of steampunk fiction will find themselves firmly within the genre, but they should also become swiftly alert within a few pages to something else well outside the box.They will soon learn that they are in the hands of two unusual joint authors whose adopted voice is itself rare for its range, and who are otherwise exceptional wordsmiths and storytellers, Those familiar with Messrs Lawrence and Trengove will not be surprised. The key staples of the genre are here, and, in particular, one has to like the tough women. Yet I read the story as almost classic pulp fiction in its violence, volatility, sexuality, humour and shtick, yet rich in fantasy. I loved the schtick, and I liked the narrative voice and the witty, often literary, illusions and inside moves - something for everyone. Were this a debut in the genre by a new author instead of experienced pros, the author would stick out as a bright new name. As it is, it's a helluva collaboration. Have I said that I like the price as well?
on 28 January 2013
This is a world rich in texture and full of interesting vibrant characters. It rollicks along at a cracking pace, violent, sexy and dark, and keeps you hooked from start to finish. My only complaint is it's not long enough, and I yearn to read more on the exploits of the Incorruptables. Luckily the authors are writing more. Like all great fantasies the descriptions are vivid and cinematic and you can't help wondering what this wonderfully complex world would look like on the big screen (or even the small...HBO take note!!). The characters are well drawn, sometimes comic book, sometimes all too real, but all the time endowed with depth and vitality...none of these people are perfect, and the heroes show all the foibles and contradictions of reality. If you don't like it down and dirty then leave it alone, but it's your loss...
on 18 February 2013
I was introduced to Steampunk by a newspaper article which described the latest fashion trend being heavily influenced by this genre. The overtly sexy corsets were enough to fuel my curiosity and point me in the direction of Frankenstein Vigilante - The Incorruptibles. Hence, my fascination with the world of Steampunk was born.
Peter Lawrence and Chris Trengove have created a pre-industrial landscape in which sci-fi, horror, violence, sex and romance all intermingle, with the inclusion of the very familiar Frankenstein (but not as we know him) being an added bonus. In setting the scene for future stories, the writers introduced so many characters that I found this a tad confusing, hence four stars. Nevertheless, once I got into it I found it very enjoyable - can't wait for the next book!
on 17 December 2013
I was disappointed in this. I thought a different take on frankensteins legacy and steampunk perfect. I was wrong. This book was slow, had no story and was poorly written. I couldn't even finish it,
on 11 April 2013
Review for incorruptibles

From the first page I was riveted: exploring a totally new genre, a parallel victorian era. Hissing with cinematic steam fuelled action plus an occasional smokey backfire of female dominated sex. Brilliant descriptions - you can tell these guys write for TV! Can't wait for book 2 in the Steampunk Vigilante Series.
on 23 January 2013
If you like imaginative novels with a dystopian view peppered with plenty of sex and violence set in an alternative world where technology, for whatever reason, is thrown back to its infancy then you will love this one. It took me a bit getting into but in the end it was well worth the effort and I really enjoyed it. There are so many strange complex characters besides all the steam and rubber band driven machinery here, and as this is the first of a trilogy I was glad I stuck with it. I was disappointed when it ended, hooked and looking forward to the next instalment.
on 11 June 2013
I am not normally a fan of horror novels as they are never frightening and violent enough. This novel ticks all the right boxes - it is frightening, violent, sexy and yet funny! This is a great read - I could not put it down and I love the writers' style which is full of Victorian/modern gothic. Good too to see strong women featuring in a prominent role. I highly recommend this book.
on 5 November 2013
My eye was caught by the cover and thought I would give it a go. It is quite political with people rebelling against corrupt government, when they are not having sex (in all sorts of combinations). There is also a lot of violence and torture. A good read though, and I will probably read if they do another one.
on 12 February 2016
Pretty bad
on 3 November 2013
This book is very violent but it is also very well written and intelligently plotted. Those who the like genre will sure not be disappointed. It is good to read a rich skillful language.