Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Dec 2007 14:10:10 GMT
D. C. Kelly says:
Hi
I am thinking of getting Half Life 2 or CALL OF DUTY 4. Not too sure which one to get? Has anyone got both, which do you prefer?
Is the framerate issues that effect half life 2 bad, as in bad as pro evo 2008 or is it ok? I had to bring pro evo back as the framerate was terrible.

You reviews would be helpful in my decision? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2007 10:28:45 GMT
C. E. Hicks says:
definatly get Call of Duty 4 as Orange Box has some serious framerate issues espiecally on team fortress and Call of duty may not have as many hours but the hours you get are alot more fun and exciting.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2007 14:01:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Dec 2007 14:02:22 GMT
Agent 86 says:
Not sure what you mean about framerate issues on TF2, I've had a lot of fun on TF2 (yet to try the other games) and generally it's been very smooth on a hdtv (720p) - a couple of laggy bits where there's a lot of water & fire effects close up on one map but I was quite impressed overall.

There are videos on youtube that compare the 360 & PS3 versions and differences are obvious but it still seems to be very playable. I do hope hope the PS3 version will receive a future patch to tackle framerate & loading time issues but TF2 is certainly extremely playable and great fun.

COD4 is a differnt type of game to the bundle that is Orange Box so it's difficult to decide if one is better than the other because it depends what you want out of a game.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2007 21:55:10 GMT
Microsoft have there pr guys working over time, Half Life 2 is excellent, get it. COD4 is amazing. Framerate issues, eh !?, if 5 games for 40 notes, Half life 2 is great forget Mickeysoft boys they are working overtime. Remember PS3 and Wii have tons of titles, Mickeysoft only has Halo !!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2007 16:33:37 GMT
Call of Duty 4 is definitely the more spectacular of the two, the single player campaign is very short indeed, but different modes are unlocked such as mission select and arcade mode, which makes it well worth going back to, the online play however is awesome, now all the bugs have been ironed out, it is an immense experience, get your ranking up to unlock all kinds of perks and weapons.

The Orange Box has got alot of bad press for it's choppy frame rate, and while it is not as smooth as the X-box version, if you only have a PS3 you must get this package, the single player games last for ages, I reckon up to 20 hours for the three episodes, and the story telling and characters are second to none, spectacular battles, intelligent puzzles, superb.
Portal is a great, if short experience, and TF2 is a great online game, laggy at times, but COD 4 has the edge here.

As for the frame rate problems, yes they are noticeable, but really do not spoil the game at all, idiots have been posting videos on the net that show the game slowing down to a crawl, but most of them are when the game is quicksaving, just don't save when the game is busy.
In half life 2 the game has a few moments when it slows down, at the end of the canal, at the start of the prison level, and the big battle with some striders, none last for more than a few seconds, and in no way spoil the game at all.
In episode 1 it took four hours to show any signs of slowdown at all, in a room full of water and electric sparks, again it did nothing to wreck the game.
Episode 2 is a bit more choppy, right at the beginning the frame rate does drop significantly, and at a few other points during the game, more seriously visually there are a couple of instances where on screen characters disappear for a second.
All in all to be honest I could not do without either of the two games, they are different enough to warrant getting them both.
Really do not worry about the horror stories surrounding the orange box on ps3, it seems any problem surrounding Sony's machine gets blown out of all proportion, and it's getting very boring now!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2008 03:26:19 GMT
orange box on playstation 3 best set of games i have played in a long time, people that say they hav problem with frame rate must be playing a diferent game to the one i have or playing on a crap tv.if you have a playstation 3 dont listen to all to people who complain about this just buy it most the people who moan about this game have not even played it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2008 22:02:45 GMT
Get both!

Joking aside both are very good, COD4 is short in single player amazing in multi. Team fortress 2 I found weak but the single player games are all very absorbing. Very different games and both are very rewarding. Frame rate issues, stop being a geek and enjoy the games! Just because the odd frame jerks does not a bad game make. Get over it. Enjoy and be happy!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2008 22:23:48 BDT
i have noticed a frame-rate problem at the start of episode two as well even on the PC version, i'm not sure as to whether it is my PC or the game, however this only lasted a few seconds and didn't effect the gameplay. Half Life 2 is an amazing game and i am considering buying it on the PS3 as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  21 Dec 2007
Latest post:  18 May 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PS3)
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars (109)