Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£7.99|
Save £4.20 (53%)
Fragile - The true story of my lifelong battle with anorexia Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Nikki tells her tale very well and explains the unfolding of her illness in a very thought-provoking way. Parts were shocking and deeply saddening, particularly surrounding her family. I would have liked the book to have been a little more introspective but perhaps this is why Nikki's recovery was so hard as she explains in the book how she was unwilling to cooperate in the introspective, psychological part of her treatment. After all anorexia nervosa is a mental illiness.
Overall this is a great book to raise awareness. The epilogue at the end highlights the severe and inescapable hold anorexia has and I very much admire Nikki Grahame for being brave and determined enough to write this book.
The only thing is that I think the publisher should be clearer that, new title or not, the new edition only has a few additional pages.
For me the book was constantly gripping and i could not put it down literally and read it within one evening but there were a few things that i would say in the review about it - for one the repetition side of things is inevitable but in comparison to other books (such as Wasted by Marya Hornbacker which is a fantastic book i have re-read so many times) it is a bit of a pattern which is how i feel the book was designed to read but for me it just repeated itself a few too many times - certain phrases or points but thats probably personal opinion.
Secondly, as someone who developed anorexia over 10 years ago (mostly recovered now) i felt a lot of connection with Nikki through her book and yet also a bit dismayed in a way with her description of the young people she was around in treatment - the terms of which i found highly offensive myself, classing them as 'nutters' etc. i found to be a naive and upsetting 'branded' comment but at that age i can understand to an extend why she felt this way however it wasn't something i was enjoying to read if i am honest.
I think the way that Nikki has add the Epilogue was a very brave and excellent idea and does show people it isn't just a condition where you one day WANT to get better you do tend to relapse and it is something that seems to taunt you for the rest of your life which is such a good depiction where she shows this for anyone who does or does not have an eating disorder as with these books it is easy for people who don't have much understanding to suddenly think this one account IS an eating disorder across everyone.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Excellent book. Didn't know much about anorexia before I read it. She had a rough time but came through in the end.Published 1 month ago by Ps
Fab book so felt for the girl could not put this book down like a friend talking to you hope she gets truely better but who knowsPublished 2 months ago by joanne barber
I am a recovered anorexic so can feel sensitive to some books on the topic, however I didn't find this book triggoring at all, it had a good pace and I read it very quickly. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Amazon Customer
Poorly written, not engaging. All I could think of when reading it was her annoying mouth on Big Brother. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Amazon Customer
PUTS A DIFFERENT LIGHT ON NIKKI. YOU RELISE SHES NOT JUST ALL FRUITCAKE!Published 7 months ago by Victoria Jackson
A sad story of how Nikki battled with anorexia. It is very much an eye opener of the struggles she went through and helps you to understand that things are never as straight... Read morePublished 8 months ago by Miss K. Hall
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Psychology
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Eating Disorders
- Books > Biography > Theatre & Performance Art
- Books > Biography > Women
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Arts & Literature > Actors & Entertainers
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health & Fitness > Mental Health
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health & Fitness > Personal Health
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health & Fitness > Recovery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Popular Culture
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Self-Help & Counselling > Psychology