Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2011
I have read the entire series of forgotten voices so far. This one like the others has been a fantastic read. The book shows the truly see-saw nature of war in the western desert, and gives insight into a very different theatre of operations than the heavily documented european theatre of war.
This field was just as important and makes the reader really feel a part of the british struggle, from their initial victories, through the despondence of defeat at the hands of Rommel, and then their rejuvenation with new command, equipment and guts. It shows the truly remarkable psychological turn-around that the troops of the desert had to go through to get the first western allied victory of the war so far.

I highly recommend this book, whether one has read any of the series yet or not, it is told in what I feel is the best way for history to be told, by the people who lived it and I greatly admire them for what they did!!
on 19 June 2011
Another fantastic read from the FORGOTTEN VOICES series.
It looks at the war in the deserts of North Africa from the soldiers experiences.
It covers the major battles of this campaign Tobruk, Alamein, Gazala, Crusader and the other confrontations that took place in this campaign in the desert.
The troops had to cope with sandstorms, lack of fresh water, the bombing and shelling, the daytime searing heat of the desert and the cold desert nights.
This campaign was a cat and mouse war travelling back and forth across North Africa.
I would say that the most vunerable troops were the tank crews, who risked being burned alive in their mobile metal coffins! Many were!
If you have read the other titles in this series, you'll want to read this one too!
on 14 September 2011
With books like this the voices of our old soldiers will not be forgotten. It is chilling to read of the casual acceptance by the soldiers of the immediate likelyhood of their own death in battle. Also the complete randomness of death in action. This book and the others in the series are a must read by younger generations lest we forget the commitment of the World War Two generation to ensuring the freedoms we take so very much for granted.
A recent project that my niece undertook ,with the children she teaches ,had me collect together the few mementoes of my late fathers wartime service that have passed into my possession . It was an exercise which bought memories flooding back of my father recounting his wartime experiences to me . Since then I have felt a strong desire to learn more of what he experienced even though he is no longer alive and able to tell me himself . A former member of the L.R.D.G , he was never prouder than when telling of his experiences in North Africa during WW2. This excellent book by Julian Thompson and the Imperial War Museum has added enormously to the insights my fathers recollections of North Africa gave me . It is a book whose use of transcripts , of veterans verbal accounts of the Desert Campaign , is like
hearing my father speaking again . My brother and I, in the later years of his life , had urged him to contact the Imperial War Museum to take part in their 'voices' project, sadly to no avail. There is so much in this book that reminds me of my fathers stories and made me realise that there are participants in this book who were quite likely his friends and comrades . Reading each page was a deeply moving experience : an experience made more moving by the realisation that , like my father , many of the participants in this book are with us no more and dwindle in number with each day that passes.
on 9 September 2013
There is no shortage of books on the desert war and I expected another tired re-hash of the same old thing with this title, so I was pleasantly surprised to find an engaging and fresh account which adds new things to the discussion. The format lends an immediacy to the account which means it bowls along at a cracking pace while allowing a very human view of the conflict.
on 19 January 2013
M wife thoroughly enjoyed this book as her brother had been a Desert Rat in the Coldstream Guards and it gave an insight to her of what her brother must have gone through. It is written very much from 'soldiers' point of view - not always complimentary to the 'boffins'. She found it a very good and enlightening read.
on 17 June 2014
Brilliant ,great read,horrific,funny,very touching ,
The guys who went through the desert campaign are becoming fewer and fewer so this is a wonderful record of these truly brave modest men ,could not put it down
on 19 September 2011
As with all the 'Forgotten' genre, it is a moving and informative insight into a rapidly fading period of history, an history when brave men, on all sides paid the ultimate price for their countries an fellow man.
on 6 March 2013
I have read most of the voices books and love them can't put
them down .but this one was not as good it was to drawn out glad to get to the end of the book .
on 24 November 2012
I enjoyed the Forgotten Voices stories. A real insight into the human feelings in our service personnel.
in this unfriendly environment