on 30 September 2013
This inventive and original science fiction, Young Adult story contains many interesting concepts and unusual ideas. It has the flavour of Suzanne Collins "The Hunger Games" with an altogether distinct style, in which the author combines varying genre (such as Dystopia and romance). I was captivated by the book's blurb and intrigued by the premise of this story, which sounded so unlike anything else I have encountered within this genre. Marjorie DeLuca has created a fascinating world and provides a singular outlook on Immortality, for instance with the manmade `forevers'. Fabulously fun and exciting `The Forever Ones' is an innovative, character-driven tale that combines many elements within great sci-fi films. The Matrix and Battlestar Galaccctica were two films that instantly came to mind, as I delved deeper into this futuristic fusion of fantasy and the unexplained.

Short Synopsis ~

Paige is a nineteen year old, beautiful girl who doesn't age because of being a `Forever'. She is genetically modified and so consequently remains beautiful forever. She lives alongside other Forevers in a containment facility, in wonderful comfort and happiness. When mysterious disappearances cast a shadow over Paige's life, soon sinister secrets and lies unveil the camouflage that has made her life seem so perfect.

Complete with a love triangle between Paige, Junius and Chale this YA romance is simply sparkling!

The world building and descriptions on setting and environment is admirable, therefore you are able to clearly visualise Paige's world. The fast-paced writing style was very engaging, and so I found myself reading faster as I eagerly followed the storyline to the end. Marjorie is a talented, accomplished writer whose creativity and vision is truly inspired. I found the entire concept of this novel utterly remarkable, with this story not only being an enjoyable read but deeply compelling too. The unexpected surprises within the plot were a delight, as too were the convincing characters and tense scenarios. Being the first instalment within a planned trilogy, I am very enthusiastic as to obtaining a copy of the next book and continuing the thrilling journey.

Fans of sci-fi and dystopian fiction, (for example The Hunger Games, Divergent, The eternity cure etc.) will simply LOVE this brilliant book.

*I won a copy of "The Forever Ones" by Marjorie DeLuca through a Goodreads, First-Read giveaway*
on 29 August 2013
Originally posted on [...]

Book 1 of The Iduna Project.

I received a copy of The Forever Ones from the author in exchange for my review.

Paige is a forever, she is genetically engineered to be 19 and live forever. She lives with the other forevers in the Iduna compound, and charged with spending her whole life having fun, but for Paige's inquisitive mind there remain unanswered questions, and she starts to wonder about the disappearances of some of the forevers, flagging her up to be the next to disappear. When her friend, the handsome and popular musician, Chale, disappears she knows that she has to go find him, and leaving the compound with a team of other forevers, including her oldest friend Junias, they go outside and face the world, finding out more than they bargained for in the process.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'm either in a really good book reading mood today, or the books that I'm choosing are fantastic! In all honesty the latter is more likely, it is incredibly rare for the former to happen after all! As with yesterday's reviewed book (The Name on Your Wrist), which I actually finished earlier today (which is the 31st July if you wanted to know!), this book really drew me in, and this time, cause I didn't have to go to work, I finished this book in one sitting, didn't stop for anything!

This book did the incredibly rare thing of surprising me, not once but twice as well. I'll be very vague so not to ruin it if you want to read the book, the first surprise that I had was to do with the identity of the mysterious CEO of Iduna corporation, I couldn't see that coming at all, in fact I had absolutely no ideas or theories about who the real CEO could be, masterful writing to conceal information there! The second surprise was something I had minor suspicions about early on about one of the characters which I then dismissed, and lets just say that I am not too convinced of their ultimate motives, but I guess I'll have to wait and find out about them if there is a sequel!

The concept itself of The Forever Ones reminded me slightly, though it is only very slightly, of the chilling novel Never Let Me Go (it was made into a film recently), where children were bred to be organ donors. In The Forever Ones, the forevers live until they are selected to be used to keep other people young, so they are basically owned and sold by the Iduna corporation. One of the most chilling things about this (and about Never Let Me Go as well come to mention it), is that it is possible to see how this could happen in society, rich people already have lots of botox and surgery, if this existed, then this would be the next logical step, and that is just a scary thought.

I really liked the way that DeLuca based the Iduna corporation and related projects to real mythology (as in not mythology that she made up, rather than me trying to insinuate that the Ancient Gods really did exist, that's not a debate I want to enter into!), and the golden apples, that kept the Gods and Goddesses young and immortal, that were tended by the Goddess Iduna.

Early on in the book it was easy to see that there was going to be a love triangle develop, with Paige at the centre naturally. Then you have Junius and Chale. Personally the triangle didn't bother me because I can only see one outcome of it, and refuse to entertain the motion of the other (I can get like this sometimes!), one of the characters is just so much better suited to Paige and could actually make her happy! Just writing that last sentence brings to light to me how well DeLuca has crafted her characters, I really care about what happens to Paige and I really hope that the cliffhanger ending is resolved!

I'd say bring on the next book! I really enjoyed The Forever Ones and I'd say give it a go!
on 9 August 2013
I received a copy of The Forever Ones in exchange for an honest review!

I'm a huge sci-fi fan and I was really intrigued by the blurb and premise of the manmade 'forevers'. Marjorie DeLuca provides an interesting take on the immortality story, all wrapped up in a fun YA sci-fi bundle.

Paige is a 'Forever', a beautiful and genetically modified 19-year-old, who is effectively immortal. The 'Forevers' live in perfect comfort and happiness in a containment facility, where they will remain eternally young and beautiful.

I liked Paige, because in a world which screamed 'stick with the status quo' she always asks questions and can see past the matrix-esq front (no it's not a computer thing so don't worry), where others are blissfully ignorant of their situation. As Paige uncovers more secrets and lies, she is faced with even more questions and never really knows who to trust.

The love triangle: Guy #1 is her friend and fellow thinker Junius. I liked Junius, although I never really felt he was all that trustworthy. Guy #2 is her popular musician friend Chale. Chale often seemed too good to be true and I was constantly expecting him to turn on her. Actually, in reflection I can honestly say I didn't entirely trust either of them!

The Forever Ones reminded me of an amalgamation of several sci-fi stories/films, including: The Island (because of the corrupt and sinister corporation), The Hunger Games series (in that there was a war brewing and an evil corrupt leader), Battlestar Galactica (because of the question of immortality and reality), and The Matrix (with the perfect lifestyle presented to the clueless forevers).

I'll definitely read the follow up, but I really hope we learn more about Chale and Junius - maybe they are both untrustworthy?! The Crime Lords and the forthcoming battle if done right has the potential for sci-fi greatness! If you like all things sci-fi and dystopian then The Forever Ones is prob your sort of thing?!

4 Stars in my Sky!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:

*"I'm just missing someone I never met." "That's the weirdest thing I've heard today."

*"Is this your girlfriend?" she asks Chale and her lips crinkle upwards in a smile. There's an uncomfortable silence and I'm about to protest when Chale says, "No - but I'd like her to be."

*"I've been totally honest and you know I'd never let you down." His head droops. "I know. That's why I care so much about you."
on 10 July 2013
This new author is a most welcome addition to the world of literature. A compelling story, great characters and a wonderful imagination combine to make what must be a bestseller!