Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 February 2002
For Valour invites comparison with The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat. Wars are fought by people, not machines and has been described as months of boredom and seconds of terror. Reeman captures all of this as well as the sheer exhaustion which must have set in among those who had survived several years of the war. The enemy was not only the German Navy, but the ocean and the cold of the arctic.
World War II was a war which involved the home front as well. The irony of sailors in harm's way losing families at home is portrayed well. The characters are human and vulnerable, and entirely believable. They have the courage to continue human involvements in the face of separation and loss. All in all, the book is immensely moving and a good description of human character. The technical details are informed and accurate, as in all of Reeman's novels.
on 7 February 2009
Douglas Reeman books are great to read and good value for your money
i have been readind his books over a number of years and still enjoy them
on 5 November 2015
For anyone who has read Douglas Reeman through the years or indeed newcomers to his work this is as good a story as I have ever read. As always the character:s stand out as individuals The man at the centre of the action finally see's his enemy destroyed ,
on 10 January 2016
Nobody comes close to Douglas Reeman when it comes to novels about the Royal Navy and the men who served in it during WWII. He is a masterful story teller and as a retired Naval Officer myself I find his attention to detail about on-board life simply amazing.
on 7 March 2014
Once again I have read this book and once again I get so much out of the story. When I read these books I feel that I am actually there engaging with all the characters and once again parts of the narrative leave me with tears streaming down my face! I am constantly reminded of the sacrifice that ordinary men and women gave so that my wife, my sons, daughter in laws and grandchildren and myself enjoy the freedom that today's way of life gives us.
on 17 April 2001
In years gone by, Douglas Reeman would embroider and add value to his plots by clever and believable characterisiation that helped the whole story come alive. Now, however, the plots take a back seat to the characters with the result that you would be forgiven for thinking that you were reading a rather amateurish soap-opera with a disjointed and obscure plot hidden somewhere in the background. This one certainly wouldn't win any ratings wars.
on 2 July 2014
great story,you will not want to put it down
on 9 March 2014
Bought as part of a series to re read on my Kindle. I had bought the book a few years ago in paperback and wanted to read it again.
on 17 July 2013
I like this author and read a lot of his books he make's me feel that I am right there in the thick of the action
on 17 December 2013
I have the complete collection of Douglas Reeman books this is one of the best.
I'll give it 4 out of 5.