Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2004
This book contains portion size data for a wide range of food items and is invaluable for calculating nutritional intakes for the coursework! It generally gives small, medium, large and average protion sizes for foods included. A MAJOR shortcoming is that there is no index and some of the catagorisation of food items is not great, which can be very frustrating indeed!!! Hopefully this will be rectified in the next edition.
However, it is good for the purpose it serves and overall I would recommend this book for nutrition / nutrition and dietetics students.
on 30 January 2009
I purchased this book as it was recommended on a nutrition course that I am studying for. I'm not exactly sure why it was recommended. The book does not list any contents per 100g, or 100 ml for any of the foods listed.

I fail to see how you can work out the exact calories consumed for carbs, protein & fat if it does not list a break down of the calories for each macronutrient.

Not helpful at all for a nutrition course. This book does not help in anyway to calculate your clients caloric intake.

I have since purchased the Food bible 2009 which is great. If you are looking for something which just lists the food contents, then buy this book.

If you want a book which gives you a breakdown of calories per 100g for each macronutrient to work out calories, then do not buy this book.

Hope this helps someone else.
55 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We use this book a lot as a reference guide for nutritionally analyzing our recipes and find it invaluable. It's got a good range of vegetables, fruit and other products and is compact enough to flick through while your typing. We save a lot of time by having the standardized weighs of these readily available.
on 2 March 2013
Great book for those with an understanding of food and what a certain portion sizes look like. Not so good for the layman as they would have to weigh each portion to ensure it was as specified. A picture atlas would be better.
on 18 May 2014
Used this book while at uni and stupidly sold it thinking I would never need it again! Got into nutrition in my current job and already knowing how useful the book was, ordered it again. Bible for teaching portion control!
on 8 April 2014
Currently studying Nutrition at university and this book was recommended to us by a lecturer. Book was useful for tutorial work and will continue to be used even after I graduate.
on 31 January 2014
I use this all the time and I have annotated it with things that aren't in it, weighing them at home. We need an updated version, somebody please write one.
on 13 February 2011
I bought this book to help me with my studies at University. This is a basic book on food portions. It just gives you the food portions off food. I thought it might also give food portion recommendations but it doesn't. It has a wide variety of foods to choose from which is good. I don't use this book much.
on 26 May 2016
Perfect for those studying food and nutrition, or professional cookery courses. It was very handy throughout my course if study
on 19 November 2014
Arrived quickly with excellent correspondence. Good quality.