Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 28 October 2010
Captain Gib Vobel has written an interesting book that will appeal to either the ordinary passenger or aircraft geek(sorry enthusiast)like me. It is well written and obviously strays on the more technical side, but not so much that only another A380 captain would understand it ! I can now fly the A380 with confidence ( both in my dreams and on Microsoft's flight simulator) I bought the book prior to flying Emirates A380 to Auckland from Manchester
(for real) and will try not to extend my knowledge to fellow passengers "did you know that the total fuel capacity on this aircraft is 254 tonnes, depending on specific gravity " blah, blah.
Must read it again to make sure I have missed nothing..... you never know both pilots might eat the fish !!
Buy it.
on 23 October 2011
The author has written a highly technical flight manual that comprehensively explains a huge workload for pilots on a typical flight, from London to Dubai. I would say that this book is primarily for experienced pilots, due to the complex nature of aircraft systems and navigation, and although it is a most interesting read, the content (and many photographs of cockpit dials) may well challenge a mere layman. Nevertheless, I now have a really good insight as to what happens on a flight, and am most impressed with the whole story of flying such a giant aircraft.
on 24 February 2013
Very informative insider view of flying the Airbus. My only criticism (which keeps it off the 5-star rating) is that it is quite dry and technical. Maybe hard to avoid, given the subject matter.
on 23 April 2015
I enjoyed it very much, i am interested in most things aviation, this being a superb plane produced by Airbus i really just wanted to learn more about the plane as very little info has been available. The book takes you on a flight from from Heathrow to Dubai explaining everything that goes into flyng a very large jet from A to B thats means all aspects of the flight from planning to touching down in Dubai. I was amazed at the amount of systems available to make the Crews job a lot easier to fly such a mammoth plane, a good read.
on 29 July 2015
Having been a professional pilot for 35 years it was a most interesting update. I fear it will have been somewhat over technical for 'Mr Average'.
on 26 January 2016
Pilot's eye view of a flight from London to Dubai detailing every technical aspect of it - which may be over a lot of people's heads that are not pilots.
However one does get a sense of the size and complexity of modern aircraft.
Well written by Captain Vobel.
on 27 October 2013
This book gave me a great insight into what it's like to fly an A380, plenty of things that I simply never knew, probably only any good for propellor heads I know, but I enjoyed it, good job to the author..
on 8 January 2014
This book was bought for our 14 year old grandson who desperately wants to be a commercial pilot and even though he spends a lot of time on a flight simulator on his computer we thought the would get enjoyment from this book which he certainly has
on 18 October 2015
Bought for my husband who is a glider pilot with aspirations of flying something much bigger! He loved it, but you do need a certain knowledge of flying terminology to appreciate the book
on 15 July 2013
Managed to make this at a level that anyone can understand. Well written, concise and interesting. Recommended if at all interested in this great plane and what goes on in the cockpit.