Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: HardcoverChange

on 26 June 2013
This is a very good book on true Artisan bread making - Forkish takes you through from the basic ingredients via simple yeasted breads right through to complex levain based (sourdough) breads. His methods are very easy to follow, but are completely different from the typical "leave it to rise for one hour" approach. This is a good thing. Most of his breads rise overnight and have a much more complex flavour because of it. He gives example schedules as well, so you can plan out the baking over a couple of days. This doesn't mean there is lot of work in creating bread here, it just takes a while - most of which time you can easily be out at work or off doing something else.

My favourite recipes are the "Overnight Country Blonde" and the "Pain au Bacon", both of which are stunning!

I have a couple of comments though:

In the levain based bread section, he advises building up an awful lot of levain, then chucking most of it away. I think this is wasteful, but I have had good success building up half the amount he specifies.

Also, to get the best from this book, you will need to either already own or invest in a Dutch Oven or large cast iron lidded casserole that fits into your oven. I use a Lodge Combo Cooker (see link below) which is absolutely perfect. If you don't have such a container, it really is worth buying one as it will take the bread to another level - there's also the benefit of being able to cook other stuff in it too!

Lodge Combo Cooker with Shallow Skillet Lid, 3 qt

Other than the recipes and techniques, Forkish's story is pretty interesting and entertaining.

All in all, it's a good read, a good recipe manual and a good book on the art and science of bread baking.

One final point....if you get hooked on this approach to baking, it is well worth buying good quality flour and salt. The yeast you can create yourself if you follow his advice on creating a sourdough starter. If you are in the UK, Shipton Mill produce fantastic flour for online ordering....
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2014
I purchased this book from another seller. I am working my way through the recipes within this book and so far they have all come out brilliantly. The author gives a list of equipment that he believes is needed for his recipes, but he does state that things like the 12L tub for mixing are his preference & not essential. I for one have no intention of getting one of these and use a 6L mixing bowl. Forkish always makes enough dough for two loaves of bread, I half his recipes and make enough for one at a time. He does not use a stand mixer, nor does he do lots of kneading, as his recipes are slow rise and most take at least 18hrs.. Forkish gives concise instructions and reasons for working the way he does and if you are not sure you can watch his methods on YouTube.

Some say that this book is not for the novice but I would argue why learn to make bread the wrong way, when you can start off as you should go on. I do agree with Forkish that we know far more about the science of bread making and we all have fridges, so why continue making bread the way we have made for over 100 years. We need to learn and adjust. Also if you just want to turn out a loaf of bread that tastes the same as you can buy from any bakers what is the point?

The one piece of equipment that you'll definitely need for his recipes is a Dutch Oven that can withstand very high temperatures.
on 7 May 2014
I have really only started baking bread properly since our daughter bought me Paul Hollywood's '100 Great Breads' which is a great starting point. I then bought his book 'How to Bake' and that takes you further. This book is much more concerned with you understanding the chemistry of bread-making and then letting you try it. There are aspects which surprise you at first - 3 grams of yeast instead of 20, 12-14 hours fermentation instead of 4, using much less salt and using plain flour instead of strong white flour and last, but not least, baking bread in a dutch oven! I have to say that, if you persevere, you will marvel at just how fantastic bread can taste! The only downside is that you will realise just how tasteless most shop-bought bread really is, even the stuff made by nationally recognised bakers. In a world where quality has been forsaken for efficiency, this book will remind you that less is more and that patience really does bring its own, wonderful rewards.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2013
This book is a must for everyone who wants a top notch loaf at home! Believe me your bread would stand up against those sold in the best bakeries anywhere!
I have decided to write a review after reading some bad reviews about this book on the US Amazon. Someone said that the book is too personal and the author dedicated too much of it to his personal details and life. I personally loved that particular chapter as it made me think about bread beyond just as a food. Anyone who is looking just for new easy bread recipes don't bother buying it. This books offers you complete artisan baking education with a collection of recipes for fabulous breads and pizzas, as well as very precise instructions. I would say this book is for someone who is interested not just in perfect results but in the process as well! I thought that I was quite an experienced amateur baker, but this book opened up a completely new world of baking to me and made me understand that to produce a decent loaf from thousands of fancy ingredients is not difficult. To make gorgeous looking and tasting bread using just water, flour, salt and yeast- this is a challenge and an art! I would say it's no less important and magical than in wine making.
My first attempt was white bread with poolish, which is an overnight pre-ferment. It was quite challenging as it is tricky to handle a wet dough but the results exceeded my expectations - perhaps it is the best loaf I have ever made.
Cannot wait to test all these recipes!
on 1 November 2013
Having made my own bread for some years I find this book both challenging and exciting. It is both challenging and exciting to make bread without the normal yeast and 2 rising methods and allows you to experiment with the wetness of the dough to your own preference. It is also challenging learning methods used in a bakery condition and reproduce them at home in a domestic environment. I have made some of the breads and the flavours do take getting used to if you bake normal breads but it is worth it. I am no expert baker of breads however I have a variety of books on bread and I find the description of the recipes very easy to follow and to adapt to different quantities. This will take my baking to another level.
on 16 April 2015
I am 61 and up until three months ago had never baked a loaf in my life and I have to say this book is brilliant. Instructions are crystal clear and the teaching on why you do what you do gives one the confidence to experiment and the bread I produced from day one is the best bread I have ever eaten. That's not meant to sound arrogant; I just followed the instructions and if I can do it then anyone can. Part of the secret is good flour, so forget that cheap, mass produced strong white from the local supermarket and go for stone ground flours from one of the excellent British mills that are available mail order. Yes it's more expensive, but the smell, taste and texture is divine. If you are new to this, like I am, places like Shipton Mill, Stoates and Gilchesters are worth looking at (and you get to support British farmers!). Forkish mentions using Cambro containers as dough tubs, but you can't get them in the UK so a large bowl and a plastic bag works just fine for me. Likewise you don't need to use a cast iron Dutch Oven, an ordinary loaf tin will do (the Le Creuset one is utterly brilliant and worth every penny). I have looked at a number of bread books (I'm addicted to this now), but this is unquestionably the best one for me and I would go as far as to say if I could only have one then this would be it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2015
It's a good all rounder great breads parts in depth others plain and simple ,love the baguettes, this book would be in my top 5 of bread books

There are a lot of very dark crusty breads here , I prefer some lighter but it's all choice and I wish I had an oven that goes to 500 deg

But all in all a good book
on 20 September 2013
It's an interesting book, and I enjoy reading it. But I would say it's different from other cookbook. It doesn't directly tell you how to make a good loaf. You got to read through the book and gain insights of different techniques and skills in order to achieve a successful loaf. It's definitely not a book for beginner. You must be pretty serious about bread for this book readers.
on 23 June 2015
A great book, i've made a few loaves and they've come out really well. A few things to note is that you don't need a dutch oven or one of these 12 quart branded tubs. I'm using a 10 litre square tub with rounded corners and it's working fine, loads of room to spare. For the dutch oven you can use a steel pot (with a lid) as long as its oven safe and about 9 inches in diameter and over 3 inches deep. Proofing baskets seem like a good idea however i'm using bowls with well floured lint free cloths and that does the job. The book is easy to follow and well laid out, I got the Kindle addition and it just the job.
on 15 January 2015
great book, written with love and passion for the subject, it's a fascinating insight into bread making with lots of great information. Written by a professional who really understands the needs and limitations of a domestic kitchen and amateur - but it's not oversimplified and there's a huge depth of knowledge behind the writing. Thoroughly recommended for anyone looking to make a really good loaf of bread!