Here's my quick little review of Flashpoint Starring Donnie Yen - hope it's helpful!
- Awesome, and often, full contact fights!
- Some nice tense build ups that are always paid off explosively, if not too surprisingly.
- The last fight is pure, crunchy, magnificently choreographed, violence.
- Some real brutal stuff in here, at times a little more shocking than I was expecting - but I like being surprised. What it lacked in originality of story it made up for in heavy thumps and body shattering carnage.
- Back to basics martial arts action mixed perfectly with cool as a cucumber gunplay.
- The mixed martial arts used by Donnie Yen in this film are absolutely stunning. He bounds around the screen with blazing gusto, and slithers round the bad guys like a boa constrictor in full on `death grip' mode. Make no mistake this is serious athleticism like you read about.
- Suitable extras.
- Did I mention Donnie is a complete beast in this?
- Why they kept popping up above the long grass to shoot at each other in the big gunfight scene is beyond me. Surely they could have just shot through the grass? I dunno seemed a big silly to me.
- Hardly a head scratcher of a story: it's a pretty much straight forward, tension building, revenge yarn with suitably nutty bad guys who you'll be praying to greet the feet(oh and they do!) before the whole thing is over. However this is not really a bad point unless you go in expecting haute cinema.
In many ways a straight forward action revenge flick but also, in many ways, a rip-roaring return to the old school. What you basically get here is pure, untainted, martial arts by a man who knows exactly what he's doing, a well paced, tension filled, action drenched, script that thunders along and a set of characters that are easy to get on board with and cheer along, or abhor and hiss at. Buy it now and enjoy!