Format: Audio CD|Change

WARNING

"Flamenco Guitar" is the title of a double CD on the Nimbus label, which is the album this review was originally written for, and which was never released on vinyl.

However, it also seems to be the title of a vinyl album, likewise by Paco Peña; and in its usual fashion Amazon has linked the two product pages, so that reviews of the one appear on the product page of the other.

DOUBLE CD

This nicely-balanced double-CD set comprises Azahara and Montoya/Ricardo — i.e. one album of Paco's own material, and a tribute to his roots.

I refer you to the individual albums for my (and others') reviews.

Update

I wrote the booklet notes for Azahara, and Nimbus has (I'm told) perpetuated here a bad error that somehow crept into those notes: the accents of "Soleares" are on beats 3-6-8-10-12, not 2-6-8-10-12 as stated. Apologies to anyone this has confused, but I never saw the proofs; hope the rest of it is helpful.

VINYL

Quite what this album is, is not obvious, since none of Paco's vinyl albums originally had this title, and the record label is not specified.

However, a survey of second-hand vinyl for sale elsewhere on the 'Net shows Philips 6382 123 with this title; being a renamed version of Paco's second solo LP, Flamenco.

So on the assumption that this is the album in question, I refer you to Flamenco for my (and others') reviews.
on 28 November 2011
Flamenco, many people will answer, is about 'passion'. That's true, but behind the passion there must be absolute precision. Paco Peña's recordings never cease to astound me with their innovativeness, fervent passion and awesome precision, no matter whether the falsetas are packed with notes or simple but beautiful. Another valuable addition to my large collection of flamenco recordings.
on 8 April 2011
Paco Pena is still one of the masters of the art of flamenca gitane. To hear his interpretation of traditional classic flamenco music is a breath-taking experience.