on 12 April 2009
It is a good book to realise that we each have different ways of receiving love and that my teenager is different than I am. To think through about the five ways of love: time (attention), gifts, hugs (physical), appreciation (praise), action (doing things for them) has first been good to realise: what do I like and what does my child prefer. This book has helped me to recognise my daughter needs the tickling on the back before bedtime when I am tired. Touch is one of her main love language through which she recharges her battery.
on 19 October 2009
I found this book so helpful in understanding the differing needs of my children. The book outlines the five languages of love, which are - Words of affirmation, Quality time, Touch, Gifts and Acts of service. Looking at my daughter through the light of this book I have realised that touch and words of affirmation are the types of love which she appreciates most. For my son it's acts of service that he values most. It also made me think about my husband and how he likes specific acts of service like making him a cup of tea. The types of love that they value most fill them up most, which makes sense.
on 14 December 2008
It is amazing this type of stuff is not general knowledge, that how we connect with each other is not shared more often, it would save so many arguements and misunderstandings. I highly recommend anyone working or living with teens to read this one. The other books for children and marriages are essential too!
on 11 January 2013
This book has changed our lives! We hadn't realised that our daughter needed to be shown love in a different way from our son. We thought she was just difficult but she just doesn't like to be touched! She prefers words of affirmation and positive praise which are her love languages! We still cuddle our son, as his love language is physical touch, Although we love our children equally, we have to show them our love in ways which suit each of them. Great book! X
on 16 January 2013
Great book, but little disappointed that this version did not contain the quiz to help work out the language of love of your teen, as much original book had. I bought this for my brother and his teenage girls and will now need to source the quiz. I guess it might not matter for some people
on 9 January 2013
Quite repetitive if read other Chapman books but the underlying truths are life changing for parents, teachers young people and anyone who knows a teenager! Excellent, practical, easy reading material particularly useful insights about anger.
on 6 March 2014
I got this book to give to my granddaughter for her 13th birthday and for her parents to read. I was delighted to receive the 5 languages of love
on 18 November 2015
I bought it as a gift for someone. However, you can never go wrong with Gary Chapman and the Love Language series.
on 3 February 2014
Brilliant book, a little stained but then it was second hand and its fine for what we need it for. Would recommend
on 12 March 2010
For anyone seeking help in dealing with a teenager don't buy this book I found it unrealistic and my husband couldn't continue after the first few pages. It may be OK if you are relegious because of the references therein so maybe for these folks it's OK. My feeling was that it makes the parent(s) feel that basically they just have to submit completely as the teenager can't help how they behave which didn't give much help. An example which infuriated me is that if you feel justifiably angry about a behaviour and would normally shout that you have to address this behaviour and hold a family meeting explaining to your teenager and family that if this happens they are to ignor you or walk away from or put their hands over their ears until you stop!