I bought this after seeing good reviews and my son absolutely loves it. I bought it when he was only a few weeks old and even then he found it engaging. As time goes on, he finds more and more to be interested in moving on from looking at the various features to batting them to then actually playing with them and improving his dexterity. Now, he looks longingly at it as he's carried around the room and friends who have tried it with their babies decided they would also buy it.
- Plenty of hanging items (elephant with rattle beads), toucan with rattle, parrot with rotating discs, soft monkey, hanging mirror, butterflies attached to the hub that hover about when the bars are knocked. You can move the toys around the mat and the attachments and some of the attachments are low enough for very young babies to touch and see them. I looked at several mats where the toys were just too high for a baby laying down to interact with. You can also attach the toys to the outside of the mat for tummy time and there is a crinkly leaf that lifts up to show a hiding bug.
- Sturdy and quality construction with with attention to detail, such as the inclusion of the felt leaves from the central hub and the lovely giraffe.
- Bright, colourful fabric that cleans up well (the mat has to be washed as a delicate on a cold wash) and hasn't incurred any shrinkage, fading, etc
- Music and sounds that aren't too annoying, as well as four lights under the hub that fade on and off in time with the sounds. The rainforest sounds are actually very nice. The music is bearable. There are 3 settings: rainforest sounds, music and music started by the bars being struck. There are two volume levels. I rarely have it on the loudest setting and the batteries have lasted ages (C batteries).
- The bars are far enough apart to put a change mat in between to keep your little one occupied while you change their nappy.
- As a previous reviewer said, once the bars have been put together using the hub it's impossible to detach them again without wondering if you're going to permanently damage it! You can take the bars apart from each other to the point where they can be folded together and it can still all be put in its original bag. I can't do the middle popper up on the bag, but it's still travelled well out and about.
- The mat is thinner than some others so you can imagine it might get a bit uncomfy after a while. Needs to be placed on carpet or a rug. It is easier, however, for babies to move themselves around on the mat.
- It would've been nice to have the complete package and have a head and shoulder support for tummy time. I bought another mat for this and don't use the mat the support came with at all. It would also be nice if the butterflies went around by themselves, but it can give older babies something more to reach for.
I have no doubts about how good this product is and would quite happily recommend it to anyone. Well worth the money. I bought it from babycity through Amazon and the service was excellent.