on 28 May 2012
*Full disclosure: I acquired a copy of this book from the author in return for a review. All opinions expressed are my own.*

I have to be honest and admit that zombies aren't my usual horror creature of choice, though I do love a good dystopian/apocalyptic tale, and this book had that in spades. This, the first in a trilogy, takes place following an outbreak of infection that quickly sweeps the globe and leaves its victims the walking dead. As we see the consequences of the zombie uprising alongside the survivors of the disaster, we come to understand that though fighting zombies is bad enough, human in-fighting can be just as devastating...

I first thought this book was going to be confusing as there seemed to be so many characters, but it soon became clear that their stories would eventually interlink and they all had their different flaws and traits that set them apart. Some of them, I really liked- Jack particularly, who went through the unimaginable and still came out fighting. Megan, similarly, I thought was well written. I didn't like Hollister, though I think that was the point- and she made a great villain! Though not all of the characters were developed particularly extensively and you only get to know some of them on a superficial level, I am hoping this may change as the series progresses.

The writing flows well and I didn't pick up on any grammatical mistakes, which is something I can be picky about, particularly in a Kindle book. I also thought the author was able to craft a situation that has been done many times before, yet give it a new spin from many different survivors perspectives. If this hadn't already been done before (Walking Dead, 28 Days Later etc...) then I could also see this working well on screen. The author certainly doesn't hold back in his descriptions, so some of this might not be for the feint hearted either!

If you are looking for a bit of a gory, no holds barred horror book then give this a go. It's a quick, easy read and its fast pace (though abrupt ending!) has definitely whetted my appetite for the sequel- and I am definitely intrigued to know what is going to play out between some of the characters next time round.
on 25 February 2013
Really enjoyed this book! Have read numerous post apocalyptic/zombie books, some good , many bad! And I found this to be one of the good ones! Lots of interesting characters and plots that has left me wanting more!!!
on 8 October 2013
I normally prefer my zombies on the big screen, but being a zombie fan, I decided to give this a whirl.

The plot is fast paced, from the initial outbreak to how the survivors deal with the problem. The plot itself is gritty and gory in places, which is to be expected of a zombie book.

I found very few of the characters sympathetic. Some of their flaws were too large for me to want to root for them. Although moral ambiguity can be interesting, it would have been nice to see this tempered somewhat. The majority of the characters that I would have liked to see more of, or who I was beginning to root for, got killed off just before they could be truly interesting. With the exception of the guy who loses his entire family.

As far as zombie stories go, this was good, and about what I'd expect. That said, it's pretty much like any zombie survival story from the last 10 years. Predictable, yet entertaining. There are few surprises here, but if you're after a good old gory zombie survival story, you will enjoy this book. I enjoyed it enough that I've brought the next two in the series despite my above criticism. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out!
on 12 March 2014
Absolutely amazing, so far i have just downloaded the third and loving every minute. Such a unique story line and set of characters. If your looking for blood and gore with an intelligent fast moving plot then this is the book for you.
on 6 March 2014
There are lots of zombie novels available, but this is one of the best I have read in a long time, the characters are believable and the story line moves along at a good pace. If you like this type of novel, this is a must read.
on 22 June 2013
In a sea of zombie literature this stands out above the rest. Being free I figured I'd give it a try but unlike alot of other stuff this grabbed me from the first page. I loved alot of the description which really painted a picture of the grotesque! Already bought the second book and looking forward to getting started!
on 7 April 2013
For a first zombie themed book for myself to read I found it really interesting. Being into the numerous TV programs/movies I can understand how it may be hard to describe such things whilst still keeping an understanding of the story. Would definitely recommend to people also interested in this type of themed book.
on 3 June 2013
This is the opening book of the series and introduces all of the main characters along with their respective stories. The full horror of a zombie apocolypse is brilliantly written and at times you feel like you're right there in the thick of the action. Brilliant book, would recommend to any zombie enthusiast
on 9 July 2013
Really glad I gave this book a go. Well written, fast paced and with characters you get a real feel for-this book has it all. Initially I worried that there were too many characters to keep straight but the author does a great job of keeping them separate. Away to get the next one :)
on 25 April 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, a strong story line with good characters. Nobody is safe from the consequences of the apocalypse and some seemingly key people don't make it to the end! I have acquired the next in the series and am looking forward to the continuing series.