on 21 August 2007
My main problem with this text is the lack of explanation around examples and answers to selected questions. The answers at the end of the textbook are literally 1 line answers so if your numbers don't match you have no idea where you went wrong.

The sections about accounting standards are good and detailed so it worth's buying this with another book.
on 4 August 2000
I do not recommend this book as a course book for financial accounting students who would like to study fin. accounting. It does not contain any case studies and its ratio analysis part is a bit poor. However, this is a really good book to read or refer to if someone is interested in learning more about the details of UK accounting standards. Lastly, it is not so easy to read and understand.
on 1 May 2001
This book does not provide good answers for self study, they are too brief. It is good for learning uk accounting standards or as a referrence with an additional work book with answers.
on 30 April 2010
I am in my final year of my Bachelor's program as a business major, and have never come across such major difficulties when reading a university book. I have had an introductory Accounting course during my first year, after which one would expect to grasp the basics of accounting.

Even with a basic understanding, this book has been extremely frustrating to read. The example calculations provided are not explained properly, IF an explanation for the calculation is even provided.
Accounting-specific vocabulary is used in an inconsistent way making it extremely difficult for non-Accounting students to read.

No illustrations are provided for most bookings which are 'explained' throughout the text, as the authors must assume the readers to be accounting practitioners who have mastered bookkeeping and practiced it extensively. In general, the assumptions made by the authors about the readers' existing knowledge appears to be way off, considering that the book is targeted at second-year undergraduate students, MSc majors as well as MBA students.

For Accounting majors this book may be suitable, but for anyone else this will be frustrating to read. I have read many books throughout my study program, but have never come across such a 'student unfriendly' book.

I am highly dissatisfied with this book, as I am a student who expects to have a 'learning experience' when reading a textbook. This, however, is mere torture and takes the pleasure out of reading anything relating to Accounting.
on 14 April 2010
This is the recommended textbook for our third year accountancy course at university. I took one look and decided to stick with my Melville textbook from previous years. It's written in an extreemly complicated way, whereas Melville is simple and easy to follow. I had no accounting experience before I started the coure, but I'm on track to achieve a first, so it's not that I'm lacking the intelligence to understand the theory!

Many of the other students on the course did buy the textbook. They said that it includes way too much information that isn't required, and doesn't help you understand the topic any better (Melville is just stripped back to the essentials). Others have said that it confused them and they've moved on to different textbooks.

I would say that if you have mastered the basics and you want more in depth reading then this does offer more than the Melville textbook. It depends on what level your course is at.

Simply put: too cluttered and too much irrelevant information for beginners, but useful if you want extra reading.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2009
Melville's book explains things in a far straight forward way. Too academic for a 3rd year accounting student in my opinion
on 1 July 2013
Its a good book but didn't need it much as U can get it from ur institutions library. Wouldn't need it after ur qualifications
on 24 October 2013
the book condition is good, the inside is just like new!!
this price can buy this book is super super attractive!!
on 2 September 2013
The book was in excellent condition. Thank you
on 16 November 2015
Fast delivery and the book is a new one.