on 14 August 2012
The success of this novel is a very modern phenomenon, Christopher Smith having self-published on Kindle and cracked the Amazon best seller lists without a big publishing house behind him. You can't say he hasn't earned his success. The book also contains many modern details, the banking crash and high tech trappings of parts of the story. Apart from that though, what you've got here is basically a straight-ahead, good old fashioned blockbuster novel that used to dominate airport bookshops once upon a time. And it's perfectly enjoyable for all that.

Smith cranks up all the key elements of this lost genre: opposing business conglomerates (and this is the only place that still calls such things conglomerates these days), dominated by patrician heads of the family. Murky boardroom dealings underpinned by violent skullduggery behind the scenes, characters driven by ambition, neuroses and their guilty secrets. And a tidy helping of various Mafiosos and bad guys acting as agents provocateurs.

It's old fashioned in style and the writing is effective without too many thrills, but it the pages pretty much turn themselves and it builds to an explosive climax with plenty of twists and turns along the way. For an entertaining read that's not too heavy, you could do a lot worse, and hats off to the guy for putting himself on the best seller list.
on 5 January 2011
I purchased the download version for my kindle. Although the writing was a little grating at the very beginning, and there were typo mistakes throughout, it soon became interesting and I was grabbed by the plot. It is not a future classic, but I couldn't put it down. Even the ending was satisfying. I would certainly buy another novel by this author.
on 21 July 2011
I like thrillers and this book was recommended to me, I wasn't disappointed, Christopher Smith is an absorbing novellist.

I will be looking out for more of the same, a recommended book!
on 18 August 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I downloaded it when it was free on the Kindle.

It's a fast-paced thriller which I took with me on holiday and didn't/couldn't put down until it was finished. I read it in one sitting on my sun lounger...

I love the style of writing of this book and will definitely read Christopher Smith books again. You can almost feel his characters jumping off the page at you as you quickly read this book. I know Louis Ryan was the villain in this, but what a character! You could almost visualise meeting this awful individual and being absolutely terrified of him. George Redman was no angel but his character was nowhere near as menacing as the dreadful Mr Ryan. All the characters were well-crafted but the writing for these two individuals was outstanding. The climax to the book is BRILLIANT.

Excellent, excellent thriller. Keep 'em coming Mr Smith! Just downloaded Running of the Bulls so hope it's as good as this one.
on 3 June 2011
It's not a classic and it will never be, but I definitly enjoyed it. There's very few typos and I don't identify with the characters but the plot gripped me from the start. For a free book it was an enjoyable read.
on 1 June 2011
ok it has some typos but this is an excellent read and archeresque in its scale and intertwining of plots which is a fantastic achievement for a first novel.
on 6 December 2011
This book took me with the first chapter. It's great to see new writers coming in with good books. Really recommend to read this if you like thrillers.
This book will take you through the field of wealth and what people are ready to do for money, non stop action and you never know who will be next and who will be the killer. Also there is love involved and deep feelings.
Story is well played and easy to go with.
on 22 October 2011
Purchased this as it was highly rated in the Kindle bestseller chart.

This was a great decision as I was hooked on the story from start to finish. Couldn't wait to read the second instalment in the series and will be avidly be looking out for anything from this author in the future.

I think we may just have uncovered a bit of a gem......
on 5 June 2011
This was a very enjoyable read, and so far it has been the best book I have downloaded for the Kindle.

I appreciate that some people have commented that the characters are unbelievable and do not act the way you would expect them to, but if you can see past that you will appreciate that this story was very well written, had a great pace, lots of suspense and plot twists and an appropriate ending.

I wonder why the people who have posted negative reviews even downloaded the book in the first place, as they are obviously not appreciative of this type of fiction?
on 9 June 2011
Everyones mentioned the typos.... so I won't.
I read my kindle on my 2 hour commute to and from work -- hence i read a lot of books.....
This book was really good. I could not put it down. Its easy reading, and enjoyable.
It was a page turner, had good twists (some I saw coming, but some I did not) and it was free! Brilliant!