Price:£4.33+ £1.93 shipping

on 27 February 2011
I'm glad that I waited to review this game, because I was going to give it a higher rating before it crashed, wasting an entire evening's worth of progress. Before the crash, I was going to comment on how difficult this game is to review, there is enough potential here for the game to at least match Football Manager 2011, but it is let down badly by the 3D match, which is shockingly bad.

If I was to review this game based on the management and presentation side only, then 5 stars wouldn't be enough to rate this game. It is so immersive, you actually feel as if you are personally involved in the day to running of a football club. There are so many facts and figures and statistics, you'll find yourself clicking on things that you didn't even know were there for some time after starting the game. Throughout the season, there are always little surprises that pop up in the form of graphs, player of the season candidates, player ups and downs etc., It all goes to make the game a great representation of the football world.

Sadly, it all comes crashing down to Earth when you start the 3D match. I've bought every version of this game since it began as Total Club Manager, and I can honestly that this year's 3D match is a huge step back from last years version. Totally unwatchable, so much so that I ended up switching to the text commentary, which surprisingly, is better than I thought it would be as I've never used it before. Back to the 3D match though, it is shocking, it doesn't even represent a game of football. It's so frustrating to watch your team 'slowly' work the ball up the field, only to pass it back into their own half. Then all too often, 3 players will form a 'triangle' and just pass the ball to one another for what seems like ages, while the defenders just stand there and watch. Then a forward will get the ball and go on a run towards the goal, only to mysteriously double back on himself for no reason, it's all so frustrating, and the annoying thing is, none of this happened in last years version.

What killed it entirely for me was when I went to begin my second round League Cup match, and the game froze entirely, leaving the previous 5 matches I'd just played a complete waste of time. I shan't be playing them again, so I'll be putting this game on the shelf less than 24 hours after purchasing it .... oh, and all this after downloading and installing the 2 availible update patches.

My overall verdict: A substantial improvement over last year's version in terms of presentation, but the crash, and the backward step on the 3D match ..... I would advise you to keep your money in your pocket!
on 7 November 2010
As many others have said for this and prior editions, do not buy this game until the third patch is released - you will regret it! The game can be lots of fun, but the agony of constant crashes, ridiculous errors and/or oversights, and things like a striker passing it back to his keeper on a break-away will drive you mad.

And just when it seems tolerable to deal with all of that for the love of the game, they'll finally release the third patch and it will likely not be compatible with your current savegame, so you'll have to start from scratch. Not worth it.

If you absolutely want a FIFA game before mid-season, this isn't the one for you.
on 6 November 2010
Every year it's becoming the same, a handful of cosmetic changes from its German franchisee but zero real changes to in particular the 3D game that was always its strong point - which if anything is growing slowly worse - and the numerous database howlers are beyond a joke (it's clear that they don't know or care about clubs outside of the English, French, German, Italian, or Spanish leagues, despite the lofty claims).

You're better off buying the 2008 or 2009 edition on the cheap, patching, and then playing with the numerous modifications made by enthusiasts freely available from that time, because after then it's been downhill all the way.
on 25 November 2010
Purchased this recently and totally wish I didn't, the game itself has hardly changed. The match engine doesn't work properly, as in one of your players kicks the ball when running, then when he goes and gets it again he slows down to jogging pace and gives the ball away. This is with the latest patch too.

It just doesn't feel like a manager game to play, they have tried to incorporate so many features from the FIFA console version into it and it just ruins the game.
on 1 November 2010
I have been a fan of football management games for nearly ten years now. Football Manager was my addiction until I yearned to see a 3D match, with all my tactics, players and decisions being simulated on screen. This is when I switched to Fifa Manager in 2008. Although it did not have the realism of Football Manager, Fifa Manager provided me with a great match engine and I soon became a fan.

Fifa Manager 2011 was on my purchase list as I was impressed with last year's edition. However, after playing the game for half a season already I am unimpressed.

For example, the game designers claim to have new features such as a new player level system, new morale system, new tactics system and an even greater depth in the transfer market, and while all these features are a welcome addition to the game they are merely cosmetic changes and add no new depth to the game.

The strength of the Fifa Manager series is the 3D match, with the great graphics and gameplay, and this is where the designers should have made changes but have failed to do so.

Fifa Manager 11 could have been much improved if the designers had concentrated on making the 3D match engine so much more like real football matches, including players arguing with the referee and getting booked as a result, controversial referring decisons, proper weather conditions suited to the season, and better unique player skills on the pitch etc.

Instead the designers have opted for cosmetic changes which has resulted in a new game that is too similiar to the previous edition.

If Football Manager's match engine begins to rival Fifa Manager, I will switch again.

In conclusion, it is much of the same with the new Fifa Manager 11, a feeble attempt and poor value for money in these difficult financial times.
on 9 April 2011
Bought a secondhand copy of this game after reading mixed reviews. The negative reviews are correct, there are some aesthethic changes but that is it. The 3D match engine is still the same with no improvement on previous versions. This latest installment is essentially an expensive con!
on 16 August 2012
Present for my hubby who had the version for 2010 and took it as far as possible so he wanted the new one. Again keeps him happy and quiet for hours on end :-)
on 23 July 2013
Unable to install as the registration code was either already used or invalid. Tried calling EA helpline and they do not support this any more
on 15 September 2012
Came in the post today, and apparently the code is invalid. WHAT A JOKE. I bought it brand new aswell
on 22 January 2015
Didnt work as it asked for some proxy server.