Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Apr 2010 18:29:17 BDT
Kelly Eaton says:
Having just finished reading Natasha Walter's new book, 'Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism', I would be really interested to hear other people's thoughts on the book or general opinions on the relevance of feminism in today's society.

I personally think that books like this need to be given much more publicity and are essential reading for young men and women.

Posted on 10 Apr 2010 13:21:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2010 13:22:07 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I completely agree with you, Kelly. The very fact that this book reports on the continuing and increasing trend to objectify women from an increasingly early age shows there is a need for feminism.

The problem is there are so many people - both men and women- who seem to think you can only be successful as a woman in any walk of life if you are: - young, pretty, thin,wear makeup all the time, remove all your body hair,think pole dancing is liberating. If you're none of those things you're irrelevant. If you complain about the topics raised by Natasha Walter then you are just a jealous and unattractive feminist who can't stand women who are prettier than you getting a topless modelling contract.

Sorry for the rant - but I'm at the opposite end of the age scale from you - judging by your post on the politics forum - and I agree there is a need for feminism today, as evidenced by this book and by these:
Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message That Feminism's Work Is Done and The Equality Illusion: The Truth About Women and Men Today
They all deserve more publicity
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xb8f77d68)

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  9 Apr 2010
Latest post:  10 Apr 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism
Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism by Natasha Walter (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (49)