Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£10.68+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 19 January 2007
I had heard of this book often enough, but never read it. As they say when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. If you are really struggling with your life this book will give you heart, if you have been working on yourself it will remind you of all that you have learnt and prompt you to keep it up. So what is it all about? Firstly, it points out that everybody gets fearful, but that some people rise to the challenges they face more positively than others and so succeed in their lives, while others just seem to shrink, becoming more and more overwhelmed by everything. This book shows you how to turn your thoughts around to the positive, to switch off your inner nag and just get on with life. It isn't corny, it isn't gimmicky, but it is truly uplifting and calming, and it works. Last night my dishwasher broke and rather than get into a stew about finding the time to get it repaired and the expense etc as I would have done I just remembered ' I'll handle it' and got it sorted. This is a fairly trivial example, but those of us who are prone to worry and anxiety, are easily overwound by the most mundane things, so it is so good to have some tools to get life into the right perspective.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book is about the fears that we all have in our lives to some degree. Fear of failing. Fear of succeeding. Fear of decisions. Fear of aging, of loss or of helplessness.
The books basic premise is, that your aim should not be to get rid of your fears. You should feel your fear, but not let it stop you from doing things you really want to do.
The book describes three levels of fear. The first level is the actual event that you fear - say losing you job. The second level is the deeper fear, triggered by the first level - eg. rejection (if being fired would make you feel rejected). Beneath that on the third level there's only one fear: The fear that you won't be able to cope. If you knew in advance that you could take it, there would be nothing to be afraid of. So all fear reduces to fear of not being able to cope.
This is interesting, because this means that the best way to handle your fear, isn't to make your life safer - it's to increase your abilities, or your faith in your abilities. The more you know you can handle, the less reason there is to fear.
This point is illustrated with several stories of people who have diminished their lives time and again, to keep safe. This doesn't reduce fear, quite the contrary, these people lived in perpetual fear. When some catastrophic event interfered with their reduced existence (say the death of a spouse), some of these people found that they were forced to reconnect with life, and that they could cope. And this reduced their fear.
The book also emphasizes positivity as a way to reduce fear. The book argues that you need to constantly train your positive thinking, or you'll revert to negative thinking.
There's also an excellent chapter on decision making, which argues that many of us see a decision making process mostly in the light of what we'll lose or risk in each alternative before us. To reduce the fear (or discomfort) of making a decision, we should realize that all options are good, and that no mater what we choose, it's still up to us to make it work.
The book contains many illustrative stories and exercises you can try yourself. I found it informative, entertaining and thought-provoking, and I recommend this book to anyone interested in the mechanisms that hold people back from growth and change.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We all hear that phrase: ''A book that will change your life'' - well, Susan Jeffers' book really will do that, or at least help you enormously.

I have suffered badly from social anxiety and depression for over a year, and although I'm still not one hundred percent better, reading 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway' has helped me so much. I can honestly say that I have come on leaps and boundaries since taking on board what Susan has written.

It was recommended to me by my counselor, and it was such a comfort in itself to have a book like this on hand to refer to whenever I was experiencing my lowest moods. Although a lot of the advice here is basic common sense, my mind was in such a bad place that I wasn't thinking logically anymore, so it was great for me to finally be able to see the bigger picture again. The techniques are simple, but you have to do your own work. it is challenging at first but by practicing and taking little steps, and actually doing things for yourself - I have managed to overcome lots of different things.

This really is an excellent book, packed with wonderful techniques, it's very easy to read, with a good mix of understanding and humour. There is a big emphasis in training your mind to think positively about yourself, the situations you are in and what you may encounter, this is very important, you must believe in yourself, that's the bottom line. It was also great to read stories of other people who have conquered their fears and changed their lives around, it's very inspiring, and a good reminder that you're not the only one who has gone through it.

I am slowly recovering from my anxiety (brought on mainly by letting people get to me, but I certainly won't be allowing anyone to do that again), and it is largely due to this book. If your going through a difficult time at the moment, I can highly recommend 'Feel the Fear', because it really did give me the confidence to get up and say to myself: 'right, it's time to move on, time to change my life, and I CAN do it'.

All that's left to say is a very big thank you to Susan Jeffers for writing such a useful self-help book. I will have a copy of it for life.
on 18 May 2007
I am not a big believer in these sort of books,but i thought i would give it a try,purchased a few off amazon,this is the first i read,and there is a change in myself,i have noticed and the people i work with too,in about 3 weeks i don't seem to put myself down like i did.I related alot to the content,the chatter box inside me seems to have drowned out and i do seem alot happier.There is no miracle here just rethinking about how you approach life and how you can improve it.there are mental exercises to do every day and now i do feel more confident.it sounds corny but it has changed my mind about these books.it works,i am still amazed.
on 11 March 2002
Unlike many of the reviewers, I wasn't at rock bottom when I read this book. I was, however, unhappy with my career and I had let it affect other areas of my life so that I generally felt dissatisfied and depressed. A friend mentioned "Feel the Fear" to me and I thought I'd give it a go. The interesting thing is that I didn't really think of myself as "afraid" of anything before I read the book. Then I realised that fear of failure had actually affected my life and career quite substantially - I just didn't commit 100% to anything for fear of it failing, I always kept myself a little detached from big decisions or projects which involved me striking out on my own. Well the first step in fixing a problem is to realise it's there in the first place! I can't say yet whether Susan Jeffers has changed my life, but I have bought the companion book "Feel the Fear and Beyond" and am working through the exercises in it right now. And I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the outcome!
on 19 August 1999
This is the sort of book that friends recommend saying things like, "It changed my life!". This was how I came to read 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway'. I was at a very low ebb when a friend suggested I read it, and I will always be grateful to her. Since I read the book, I've recommended it to at least one other friend whose life has changed drastically as a result. I hope that it will change your life for the better too.
The basic message Susan Jeffers is putting across is that the big fear underlying all the little fears we have is 'I won't be able to handle it if ... happens'. She gently explores fears, and encourages you to accept that fear is OK, perfectly normal, and despite the fear, you CAN handle it! So often our fears prevent us from moving on but we can overcome them and learn to listen to our 'Higher Self', rather than that nagging, criticising little voice most of us have as a constant companion.
I first read it 6 months ago, but this is the sort of book that you keep picking up as life throws things at you. I only have to find the chapter that goes with my current situation and I can find the strength to deal with it.
There is so much in this book that a review can scarcely do it justice - I chose to write this review because I would like others to get the benefit from the book that I did.
After reading 'Feel the Fear...' I also read another book by Susan Jeffers, 'End the Struggle and Dance with Life'. I would say that the two complement each other perfectly, and have definitely lead me to a substantial change in my attitude to life.
on 25 July 2000
This book was recommended to me by a dear friend and I was sceptical when I first picked it up. I have to say that since that date, the enthusiasm which has been instilled in me by Ms Jeffers book has indeed changed my life! Positivity flows throughout the book and there are many helpful hints for people who are floundering. If you have ever felt that there was more to life than this - read it - absorb it and do it! I have since recommended this book to no fewer than 8 of my close personal friends but I would not be prepared to lend it out! Definately a read and read again publication!
on 4 July 2007
I have never taken the time or effort to write a review as it never seemed that important. This book deserves a review, all you pessimists and doubters give it a go! Its not not like alot of the other cowdoody books that preach "love yourself", this is a practical amazing guide to how to become a better person. Buy it and believe me you'll be writing a review too!
on 28 November 2007
I've read several self help books over the last months and was glad to find "Feel the Fear" lived up to the other positive reviews I had read on Amazon.

Susan Jeffers knows what she's talking about- she's a trained psychologist able to instil positivity and encouragement into the reader. Having suffered from spells of depression over the last 7 years, the book helped me through a rough patch and although I've not fully accepted her repeatedly used "I'll handle it" phrase when something goes wrong, I'm working on it!

For those that suffer from depression and anxiety, don't expect this book to be the instant cure to your problems, but the process of reading "Feel the Fear" can supplement other help strategies i.e. anti-depressants and therapy.

Even if you only take away one or two points mentioned, it's a book definitely worth every penny.
on 30 August 2002
I think this is the best book EVER written. Over the last 18 months of my life I have become a Susan Jeffers disciple.
The book's main theme..... that the fear of doing something is ALWAYS worse that the actual DOING....... has proved SO effective to me.
It has helped me overcome my fear of jumping my horses, to getting out of a loveless 30 year relationship, to moving away from the area where I spent the first 50 years of my life, to taking up a new more high powered job in london.
My journey began with this book, and with Susan's help and her other books I am moving to the life I always wanted.
If you never buy another book again..... BUY THIS one. It will change your life.