The Definitive Linux Resource--Fully Updated and Expanded
Get full details on the powerful features of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora 7 from this fully revised, one-stop guide. Linux expert Richard Petersen covers all the bases, from configuring your desktop, customizing your system, and accessing software repositories to handling files and directories, managing devices and servers, and sharing system resources.
Inside, you'll get in-depth coverage of Fedora 7's device and network autoconfiguration, IPv6 and .NET support, SE Linux, software repository installs, custom distribution spins, and system administration tools. You'll learn how to deploy sound security measures, configure automatic device detection, set up logical volumes for file management, and create your own Fedora distribution using your favorite software.
- Install, use, secure, and manage Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the new Fedora 7
- Configure services using Fedora administration tools for network access, software updates, and file management (LVM and GFS2)
- Manage users, services, file systems, hotplug devices, and printers
- Deploy powerful desktop, office, database, graphics, multimedia, e-mail, Web, and FTP applications
- Optimize security with IPsec, SE Linux, Kerberos, and Netfilter
- Maintain FTP, Web, mail, DNS, proxy, print, news, and database servers
- Administer system resources using GRUB, Yum, HAL, MONO, and udev
- Select, download, and install a Fedora distribution spin
- Auto-configure IPv6, DHCPv6, and DHCP networks
- Access remote files and printers with NFS, GFS2, and SAMBA