on 19 September 2013
A truly amazing book, it helps with realising everything changes all the time, not be afraid, to welcome the changes, to understand the changes, and to relieve yourselves of fearing losing loved ones, of fearing death, of accepting changes as it happens, and by letting go of our every day fears we can live more calmly in ourselves, and not make ourselves ill with overthinking every situation............ a truly great book.
on 18 July 2014
This has to be the best book I have ever read on Mindfulness. It is so packed with brilliant insights that I'm having to read it really slowly to take it all in and it is a book I am sure I will go back to again and again. It should be compulsory reading in all secondary schools as it really helps you understand your feelings and let them go without blaming yourself or anyone else.
on 18 May 2013
I am usually a great fan of TNH's books as the man is one of the most wonderful Buddhist teachers alive today; but there is a but. Actually there are two buts.

1. Much of the content here is re-hashed and given a bit of spin to make it applicable to the topic of fear. The earlier TNH books do a much better, and more detailed, job of communicating the material.

2. Perhaps I am just too uptight, but I'm not very comfortable with the suggestion to place two cushions on the floor and swap between them whilst having a discussion between my inner child on one cushion (complete with childlike voice) and my adult self on the other. This seems closer to new age mumbo-jumbo than traditional Buddhist wisdom.

So feel free to hit the 'This review wasn't helpful button' (negative reviews seem to get a disproportionate number of those, especially when they contradict the majority view) but I've given my honest opinion. If you are new to TNH then 'The Miracle of Mindfulness' (and many others) gets 6 stars at least.
66 comments|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2014
I came rather late to Thich Nhat Hanh. I then came to admire him to the point where I have a picture of him on my office wall.
He is a Buddhist teacher of insight and humility, who writes simply in a style anyone can get along with. The simplicity masks his deep knowledge of Buddhism. He sits with the Buddha. You have to know him and his books - and they are many - to appreciate the depths of that.
As always Thich Nhat Hanh's approach is gentle, clear and helpful. He gives some simple exercises to start us on the path of understanding ourselves. 'Non fear' is a precious gift to give our loved ones. If you're looking for guidance in today's world then please read this book - you don't have to be Buddhist.
on 25 February 2013
I give 5 stars because the book was quite easy to understand Thich Nhat Hanh's simplified teaching is relevant for any one following any school of Buddhism or for any one following another religion or none. My growth gained a lot by reading it even although I'm not Buddhist.
on 9 May 2013
This book literally helped me in so many ways. As a human being we go through so many emotions,so many turmoils and this book will definitely help you see the things as it is,help you overcome your deep fear.its just a beautifully written book about us .please do read it,highly recommended.
on 16 November 2013
Mixture of the old ideas revisited and new ideas introduced with a focus on ideas the practice. All of course bedded in the Sutras, A useful addition to his teachings.
on 10 April 2014
I have found the book ve..ry helpful to deepen my understanding of my fears, my anxieties. Have also learnt helpful ways of being with my fears.
on 27 March 2013
This is a dear book, which can certainly help to start the
process of facing your fears and getting to grips with
them. I would imagine that it could be quite revelationary
for someone new to the path of self-discovery and improvement.