Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jul 2010 01:48:06 BDT
Jussi says:
Just started watching and every disc on season 1 has this annoying black and white bar on top of the screen. Its only season 1 discs. Is that just how they are or faulty?

Posted on 30 Nov 2010 22:07:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Nov 2010 22:08:17 GMT
You think that's bad. I ordered The Wire box set some time ago but only opened it recently (we've all done it, come on, admit it) only to find it had two copies of one disk and of course one disk missing. No problem, I've heard of Amazon's legendary customer service and I do spend a lot of money with them each month, so I assumed 'no issue'. I contacted them to let them know and ... well, basically, they told me to get lost (outside the Amazon 30 days returns window, apparently). They then simply ignored my next email. Which is all a bit cheeky, as under the Sale of Goods Act if the item is not as advertised I have SIX YEARS. And unluckily for them I'm a lawyer, so they can send me the item I paid for or - as they say in the US - I'll see them in court.

But just to warn you, check the item on delivery and if Amazon try to fob you off or ignore you get some advice, don't give up and try www.play.com.

Posted on 3 Feb 2011 20:56:25 GMT
Alex77 says:
Bint Laden have you had any luck with Amazon about this since you posted? I have just found that I have the exact same problem! I was given the boxset as a Christmas present and have just got round to opening it only to notice that Season 1 has 2 copies of the disc with episodes 1-3 on it and is missing the disc containing episodes 12 and 13! How annoying!!! I can't believe Amazon are actually fobbing customers off with the 30 day returns policy when it's obviously their mistake!

Posted on 14 Apr 2011 16:27:11 BDT
Seoman says:
My season 1 discs (haven't checked the other ones yet) that I just received also have this error on top of the screen. Did you get a replacement for those discs or are they all faulty? It's really annoying...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2011 19:26:36 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Apr 2011 19:28:21 BDT]

Posted on 24 Apr 2011 19:29:06 BDT
Bort says:
Contacted Warner Home Video had to send it to them they said there was no fault so put it on youtube

Posted on 24 Apr 2011 21:34:30 BDT
Seoman says:
I realized now that the error only occurs if I play the DVDs on my computer. My TV on the other hand seems to automatically zoom the picture minimally somehow so that those error lines at the top vanish (without me having to do anything). So I just have to watch them on TV or manually zoom the picture a little on my computer.

Posted on 26 Apr 2011 14:36:17 BDT
N. Snel-Hest says:
This isn't a disc error, but is in fact an issue with the series itself. Essentially, whoever transferred the masters onto the DVD screwed up, which is why the VITC lines are present. The only hope you have is to view the DVD with a cropped aspect ratio.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 13:35:49 BDT
HG82 says:
I have the exact same problem, and trying to communicate the problem to Amazon's 'customer service' robots is an excruciating ordeal. I noticed the VITC line on my MacBook, but when I watch it on a flatscreen plasma the same problem occured. All the other seasons are fine, it is season one that is the problem. Amazon sent me another box set and it was the same thing - season one had this fault and all the other seasons were fine. Can anyone clarify what the problem is? One faulty batch, or all of them faulty?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  14 Jul 2010
Latest post:  21 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD]
The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD] by Dominic West (DVD - 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (405)