VINE VOICEon 12 February 2011
I like this book - don't get me wrong - but I don't love it quite as much as I thought I would from the other reviews and comments I have seen elsewhere.

The recipes themselves look really tempting and tasty - and where there are photos, they look good. However not all the recipes have photos and the decision as to which to omit seems a bit arbitrary. Some of the more complicated constructions are not illustrated which I feel is a shame. I am confident that I could achieve the right results but it would have been better if each of the confections had been accompanied with a photo. Might seem petty but less experienced bakers do benefit from the confidence that a good photo can bring.

I also spotted a couple of spelling errors - which annoys me. Doesn't stop it being a useful cookbook but attention to detail is important in publishing.

I know I will use a good number of the recipes in the coming months - which is great. But this doesn't quite feel the ultimate Brownie book I was expecting.

Good but not great.
on 28 October 2010
This is fabulous if you just have half an hour to spare and want to get something sweet and homemade for your dinner with friends tomorrow. In many cases, you do not even need any mixing equipment but a fork or a spoon with your one bowl, and you can work well in advance, the bars stay fresh or improve over some time. It is one cook/baking book that I do not just like to look at for inspiration, instead it has turned into my current default resource for dessert preparation, especially as the recipes include tips how to store the cakes.
Do not expect fancy cakes and elegant decorations, that's not the point! The results do look very nice, and the author offers many ideas how to present the seemingly simple bars.
on 15 October 2010
I've not been to this New York bakery, but had to have the book! I've been looking forward to it for ages. Lovely little baking book, a good addition to any bakers collection. As you would expect, U.S. measurements, so (for non American bakers, like me) a set of American measuring cups are necessary and you also need to know that 1 tablespoon butter = 1/2 oz (half an ounce) of butter. With the cups and this information though, you should be fine.

Some great bars, blondies and brownies including Fat Witch brownies, white chocolate bars, raspberry bars, rum and raisin bars, cranberry blondies, Congo bars, orange walnut blondies, hermit bars and the one I'll bake first turtle witches - brownies with caramel and pecans , how yummy does that sound?! Can't wait to get baking.
on 2 April 2011
This book was recommended to me by my favourite 'fooderie' in weston super mare and its one of the best bits of advice I have taken in ages! A little bit of metric conversion needed but the effort was well worth it, try the lemon cheesecake brownies - amazing!. Love the fact that the book has been designed to be the exact size to fit into a 9x9 tin, with a huge bar of chocolate and a big ribbon what more can you ask for in a gift!
on 2 December 2013
Friends bought some original brownies back from New York so had to get the book to reproduce the amazing flavours. Experiment that's all I can say. It's an American book so be prepared for some serious research on all the different ways to measure liquids and solids. Also you will need to translate the various types of sugar, flour and chocolate descriptions. All in all so far so good especially the cheesecake brownie recipe.
on 26 June 2014
I was really looking forward to this book as I thought, coming from a professional bakery, there'd be easy to do recipes.
Well, if you're in the USA I'm sure it's great but will all the claims that her stuff goes international, there has been no concideration given for international fans to use these recipes.
What on earth is a 'stick of butter' please???
'12 Tablespoons...' you've got to be kidding!!
Does she measure her recipes out like this to make her 2,500 brownies...a day?? I think not.
My sister is a Pastry Chef by trade and make cakes in bulk for wholesale to cafes so all of her recipes are in percentages, Metric or Imperial measurements and I'm sure Ms Helding does exactly the same when making her stock so why not give us weights for the ingredients too please??? Does she think we're all stupid maybe??
We shall use some of the ideas in a stock standard recipe which, by the way, is measured by weight and volume but otherwise, for us at least, it's not very useful. Sorry
on 28 November 2013
I love the variety of brownies you can make with this book. It's only small but is full of fantastic recipes I am excited to try. I have made the white chocolate ones and the fat witch brownie and they are gorgeous - great texture and taste!
on 9 April 2013
This is by far the best brownie recipe I have EVER tried!!! And believe me, I have tried a lot! I would highly recommend this fine wee book. Beautiful pictures throughout and really good recipes.
on 12 February 2015
OMG, these recipes are fantastic. My husband, family and friends are all love themand there so easy and quick to make. Thank You Fat Witch.
on 1 March 2011
A beautiful book filled with 50 easy-to-make super-yummy brownie recipes. Great photos and chatty antidotes take this book to the next level. I'll be buying many more copies as gifts for those I know that like to get into the kitchen and play with sugar and butter.