Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more

on 6 July 2012
I needed a fast USB 3.0 SD card reader to be able to quickly copy photos from the DSLR.
Couldn't find any speed reviews/tests but as the reader was very cheap, decided to give it a go.

Reader arrived within 2 days and as soon as it did, I tested it using the following hardware:
Computers:
- USB 3.0 Laptop 1 (Sandy Bridge, i7-2677m - ULV)
- USB 3.0 Laptop 2 (Sandy Bridge, i5-2450m - slightly faster)

SD Cards:

- Laptop 2 - 32.0 MB/sec read and 28.1 MB/sec write
Sandisk Extreme Pro -
- Laptop 1 - 67.7 MB/sec read and 67.5 MB/sec write
- Laptop 2 - 78.4 MB/sec read and 71.4 MB/sec write

I also ran addition test to see how much USB 2.0 limits performance of the 95MB/sec card on the faster laptop:
- Laptop 2 - 32.5 MB/sec read and 22.0 MB/sec write

As you can see, USB 3.0 reader is over 2.4 times faster in reads and 3.2 writes, very good results for such inexpensive device, on par with much dearer Lexar/Sandisk!

All in all, it's well deserved 5/5, I can fully recommend this reader if you have a fast memory card, USB 3.0 PC and are tired of slower USB 2.0 speeds - copying full 32GB off the Extreme Pro 95MB/sec card through this reader will save you precious time if you're in rush, definitely worth the price.
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am getting average transfer speeds over USB 3 on my Asus Maximus Extreme V motherboard of between 95 and 110 megabytes per second!

The transfers from my camera card are so quick now, that sometimes it seems like it failed to transfer, because I missed the progress bar!

Excellent little product and highly recommended.
on 8 February 2013
I've been using this device for 3 months or so and it's performed flawlessly.

Using this with a class 10 SD card I have consistently maxed out the read performance of the card at 45MB/s which has saved huge amounts of time transferring photos and doing things like OS installations (Linux Ubuntu etc).

For such a cheap device I have been seriously impressed with it's performance. It's been totally reliable whenever I've used it and I can highly recommend it for anyone looking for a decent, fast and cheap SD card reader.
on 27 December 2012
I bought this to grab RAW files taken on a DSLR from a recent trip. My P&S camera wouldn't show them as it would only show JPEG's. Found this little gem and I'm very pleased with it. I do have a USB3.0 socket in my PC and was really happy with the read speeds. Didn't bother with a full test, as I wasn't in a huge rush to transfer approx 30 files. If I find time, I'll run some speed tests and report back.
As soon as I plugged in, my PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) picked it up instantly, and was ready to go almost immediately.
Agree with someone else who mentioned the cap is a bit flimsy, but I have other drives intended for portability, so that doesn't impact me. Build quality could be better, but for this price, I won't complain.
on 12 September 2012
Nice fast transfers from my Extreme Pro SD card with this card reader. However is wasn't reverse compatible with my USB2 socket on my Windows 7 laptop.
on 8 May 2013
The introduction of USB technology has, for me, been the best thing to be introduced for the IT market.

This product is no exception. Our sons new laptop uses the newest USB 3 format, the internals of USB 3 plugs and socket are blue.

They claim USB 3 is up to 10 times faster than USB 2. The developers have added a new transfer type called Super Speed or SS giving a claimed 5 Gbit/s transfer rate (electrically it is more similar to PCIe Gen2 and SATA than USB 2.0 ) Not done a speed test myself but the transfer of photo files off a high speed card appears very quick.

Reader looks and feels very robust. Price was great too. Well packaged, in fact son ussd original package to stop his reader being 'lost' in the bottom of his laptop bag.
on 19 February 2013
If you have a USB3.0 on your computes you must have a fast card reader. It may seem like a small thing but as said in here its ~3 times faster and saves a lot of frustration(when you're in a hurry every second counts).

I've tried several different SD and Micro SD cards on this and compared with other usb3.0 readers and on different computers.
This one was times cheaper than the others and they all performed around the same level so its value is certainly high.
All in all speed was limited only by the cards and computers.

pros:
+ low price - extremely low price
+ adequate size - it's portable and the smallest one I found
+ high speed - not only because of USB3.0 but the reader is fast as well

cons:
- build - 3/5 for this one - flimsy cap and light but other than that its solid
- doesn't respect the read only switch on adapters and cards - only one of the pricier readers did so no big deal
- only SD format - not a problem if you use only SD cards but you have to keep that in mind

One of the best all around SD card readers around here and that's not only for USB3.0. Highly recommended especially at this price.
on 18 October 2012
Excellent product. Perfect for transferring files quickly. Just make sure you have USB 3.0 ports on your PC to benefit from this card reader!
on 13 April 2013
After my previous card reader failed to read my new sdxc card (Komputerbay 64GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity Speed Class 10 600X UHS-I Ultra High Speed Flash Memory Card 40MB/s Write 90MB/s Read 64 GB)(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LCIU1E/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) i thought i would give this a try and it works great,i have not done any speed tests or anything but it works fine with the card that was previously unrecognised.I dont know if their all the same but the one i received has an led light on it as well,handy little feature imo to let you know theres life in the little thing,so all good,now just to see how long it lasts but it appears quite sturdy(not jump on it sturdy,but pretty good)anyway good buy.
on 25 November 2012
It works just perfect with my new Sandisk 64GB/95MB/s SDXC on Mac and PC. If you are a GH1,2,3 owner, you just don't need anything else. You can even directly edit straight on the card using this item in your USB 3.0 ports.