- Paperback: 400 pages
- Publisher: Macmillan; New edition edition (4 Feb. 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0333753542
- ISBN-13: 978-0333753545
- Product Dimensions: 21.1 x 13.5 x 3.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 5,196,181 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Falling in Love: A History of Torment and Enchantment Paperback – 4 Feb 2000
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Publisher
A history of torment and enchantment
Everyone or almost everyone falls in love. It is such a commonplace event that the world hardly notices it happen. Sheila Sullivan explores the psychological, social, sexual and cultural processes that allow normally rational people to lose their reason. Reaching out to the happy in love as well as the broken-hearted, FALLING IN LOVE speaks to both those who scorn love and those who celebrate it. Clear-headed and wise, this is an indispensable guide around the strange territory of a love affair.
Praise for FALLING IN LOVE:
Sweepingly erudite, smartly reflective . . . a delightful journey, full of unexpected detours OBSERVER
Sullivan comes into her own as a true enthusiast for romantic love DAILY TELEGRAPH
A well-researched and well-meditated book, which surveys the experience of falling in love . . . and which does not blanch at exploring the problems as well as the promises involved FINANCIAL TIMES
Top Customer Reviews
A book for scholars perhaps, giving them a wonderful bibliography of other books to turn to; but distinctly a disappointment for the more general reader who might be seeking examples of why love affairs can go wrong, or how they can succeed against the odds if one or both parties recognises the problems and takes steps to circumvent the pitfalls.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Neuropsychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Social & Developmental Psychology > Social
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Women's Studies