Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 May 2002
I really enjoyed this volume. Mr Yates writes beautifully. This is not a "how to" book but a series of stories from the authors lifetime fishing experiences. readers who like Gierach, Venables or McGuane will enjoy this. I read it in one sitting !
on 5 May 1999
In this book Chris Yates juxtaposes incidents which have occured throughout his fishing life at different times. Taking the form of short essays, each chapter is 'twinned' with another so that the reader is left to reflect upon the links between angling in boyhood and adulthood. It captures wonderfully well the essential magic and mystery of angling, often leaving the reader with a seemingly unfinished narrative, a question mark over the real purpose of catching fish and a burning desire to rush down to the nearest pond or riverbank to cast a line. This is a reflective, thoughtful book which in every sentence hints at the complex fascination anglers have for the waterways they haunt and indeed the natural world in general. If you already fish you must read it. If you think all anglers are mad, read this and be proven wrong!
on 7 June 2001
With this book Chris Yates has again forged a set of beautifully evocative chapters, full of the essential magic of fishing.
Another absolute essential!
on 2 February 2012
What can you say mr Yates simply the best fishing writer on the planet you just have to keep on reading . Takes a lot to keep me reading these days with so much to do but chris can do just that.
on 31 October 2010
This book was highly recommended as a gift for my husband and he is thoroughly enjoying it. I have read some excerpts from it which i find very funny, and intend to read book myself.
on 10 June 2016
A great short story read, Truly inspires the mind and fishing soul.
This book of snippets brings you into the story and mind of a wonderful angler
on 31 March 2013
i bought this book as a present for my husband who has most of
chris yates books he enjoyed the book and it is now in his collection
on 14 November 2012
A MUST read.
Any self respecting Angler will find EVERY short story Captivating
Treat yourself or a Mate to this.
on 21 September 2013
I have been a great fan of Mr Yates for a good number of years and I think I can imagine how difficult it must be to make a living primarily from writing about fishing. However, I do feel that Mr Yates is starting to rather short-change his readers; I can't say which is chicken and which egg but it's indisputable that there is a deal of "déjà lu" among those of us who have read this book and "The Waterlog Years", for example. Some of the articles have been dressed up but there is starting to be too much re-hashing of the same material for my taste.

The same bait may work over and over for carp but at least some readers of comparatively expensive books are altogether more fastidious consumers, Mr Yeats - and we have longer memories than those attributed to fish!

There are plenty of anglers out there who seem only too happy to knock Mr Yeats and his style of fishing (and even dress) so it really behoves him, as our preferred ambassador of Traditional Angling, not to give them any extra ammunition.....
on 11 February 2016